Visit to the dentist today

groupw

I had a similar situation. My dentist makes crowns in his office, so there is only 1 visit required of about 2 hours. The making of the crown takes about 25 minutes. Very convenient. My dentist always calls me later that night when he wrenches on my teeth, to see how I'm doing. I like that personal touch.

11 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I had a similar situation. My dentist makes crowns in his office, so there is only 1 visit required of about 2 hours. The making of the crown takes about 25 minutes. Very convenient. My dentist always calls me later that night when he wrenches on my teeth, to see how I'm doing. I like that personal touch.

Hmm.. I had  crown replaced.  It was made in office. I had my teeth cleaned on that day also.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Hmm.. I had  crown replaced.  It was made in office. I had my teeth cleaned on that day also

Me too.  I had a part of a tooth (molar) crack and break off.   It was repaired in only the one visit.

From my dentist's  web site.

CROWNS IN A SINGLE VISIT using the breakthrough CEREC® technology. This process involves a computer making a detailed 3-D scan of your tooth, using it to craft a porcelain crown that is permanently bonded to your tooth in just one visit!

• Awesome 1

On 2/22/2022 at 10:30 PM, groupw said:

I had a molar give twinges of pain Saturday. By Sunday night, the pain woke me up a few times. WFH Monday and sought out a new dentist. Found a place a few blocks away with good reviews. They were able to get me in this afternoon 

There was a crack along the backside of the tooth. He said the combination of metals used for fillings many years ago had a tendency to expand and eventually it can crack the tooth. He was pretty sure we could save the tooth with a crown. Past experience would be a minimum of 2-3 visits to get to the final crown.  He said he could start today and then I would only need to come back for the permanent crown!

So my jaws are stiff and the tooth is tender but I have a temporary crown for the next 3 weeks. He even called me at the end of his workday just to check and make sure I was doing ok. I guess I chose well…

Sounds like you made a good choice of dentist!

I have 5 crowns.  Each one involved two visits total, except the last one: I had a root canal in Jan. 2021 then couldn't get an appointment with my dentist - she's very skilled and popular - for the permanent crown until April, at which point I needed another temporary crown, then the permanent one.

My dentist is 66 and her partner dentist is in her 40's, was the one who saw me and recognized the root canal problem on an emergency visit, and is also top-notch.  I'll switch over to her whenever mine retires.  I've known mine since the 70's when she was a dental assistant to my previous dentist: she cusses when she works and tells me dirty jokes.  I'll miss her after she retires.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1