What degreaser do you use on your chain and cassette?

Randomguy

7 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I feel the same way about KMC quick link chains, but only because they are generally cheaper to buy. My brand loyalty gene is defective. Also, they are more quickly removed and installed with a quick link pliers, which I cannot believe everyone doesn't have at this point in time. 

spacer.png

Yes!  That tool, yup.  pull it off, soak it in a jar, shake, rinse, wipe it off and toss it back on, then lube.  

Some dream of bikepacking trips or exotic training camps. I would give anything to be transferred along with all my bicycles to some lavish estate for two weeks where I could tend to each of them with a full complement of tools, detergents, and consumables. I’d spend half the day working on the bike, half the day riding it, and then the next day I’d move on to the next one. Maybe there would be some sort of on-site spa where they’d slough all the grime off your body and dig the crud out from under your fingernails.

In fact I’d consider opening just such a retreat myself, but I suppose by the time you can afford to go to a lavish bicycle maintenance camp you can also afford to have someone else fix all your bikes for you. Huh, I think I just figured out how capitalism works…

Doing Yourself A Disservice  :foryou:

2 hours ago, Bag of Dicks said:

WRONG!  The quicklink thingy that came with the chain doesn't give me confidence that I'd get more than a couple cleanings out of it before it would fail or introduce some stretch or drivetrain slop.  Plus, it is just easier leaving it on, I don't want to buy a bunch of pins from Shimano, either. 

I think its recommended to use the quick link once. They are cheap to buy. I've used these & pinned chains. Personally I like pins. I clean the chain on the bike.

• Heart 1