If you had a flight scheduled to leave at 10:00 AM

Kirby

what time would you plan to get to the airport?   (For Wilbur, assume you're flying commercial)

If you had an drive to the airport that normally takes 60 minutes, how much time would you allow for the drive?

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

what time would you plan to get to the airport?   (For Wilbur, assume you're flying commercial)

If you had an drive to the airport that normally takes 60 minutes, how much time would you allow for the drive?

I may be extreme but I would be at the airport no later than 7:30.  If that is early rush hour for your area allow 90 minutes for the drive.  Hopefully everything will go well and you will get an hour or two to explore the airport and read a book.  You will not however miss your flight.

• Heart 3

National = 1.5 hr, International = 2.5 hr.  But I prefer wiggle room - I like to get there and get through all the pre-security stuff. Then drink a big Nalgene bottle of water so it is empty.  Then security. I find the darn drive to a distant airport would be my biggest worry.  With automated check in, that goes relatively fast for US flights, but security can be a crap shoot without something like PreCheck.

• Heart 3

13 minutes ago, Kirby said:

For Wilbur, 9:45ish, maybe a bit earlier if he wants to get a nice pour over and a massage before boarding.

For people riding in the back of the cattle car, 1-2 hours before your flight 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I feel like that’s an outdated metric. I’d shy towards two hours domestic. Probably about the same for international, too.

Yeah - I think I'll add a half hour to each.  I feel like if I am 2 hours early for domestic, it is a long wait at the gate to board.  But at an unknown airport, that may be nice wiggle room.  I'm used to my airports, but I have been in some LONG security lines in other airports.  So, for those return flights, bigger buffers make sense.

• Heart 1

I'd allow 2 hours to drive from my home to my dad's home in the western suburbs of Chicago.

Then I park my car there.  He has the perfect spot for this.

image.png.6f9bf5e300e4a634dbbf68f5d00d950a.png

Then I'd take a taxi to O'Hare airport.  The airport is only 15 miles away, so at least 1/2 an hour, since it will be before rush hour traffic.

I would want to arrive at least  2 1//2 hours early, just to be sure things to OK.

So... adding this up...  I have to leave my home at 5 AM, 5 hours before the flight.   That means the alarm clock would go off at 4 AM at the latest.    

If the flight was later in the day... add at least 1 more hour for traffic delays. 

That's why WoBG and I would just drive to a lot of places.  By the time the flight ends, you get your luggage, rent a car...  I could drive to many places, have all of my stuff that I can't put into a suitcase, and have my car at the destination. 

• Heart 4

7 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

Yeah, but you do not care which plane you get on, so you have to add that to the equation.

There are rarely more than two commercial planes on the tarmac at anytime. You've got a 50/50 shot. There are rows of private jets lined up. 

Private flights outnumber commercial at JAC.

• Heart 2

Just now, denniS said:

And there are probably rows more behind the camera angle. They made all of the non-jet private planes move their aircraft to ID. Harrison must have been pissed.

Yeah, as frequently as he crashes, he needs to keep a hanger full around all the time I bet.

• Haha 1

I would get to the airport city the night before, and stay in a hotel.  There are no airports in my town.  I always get to airports one hour ahead of scheduled departure for domestic and two hours before INtl. flights.

Last time I flew was about almost a decade ago.  I am not sure if those rules or guidelines have changed or gotten longer.

• Heart 1

It takes an hour and twenty minutes to get to Hartsfield from my house. Assume two hours of parking, TSA, and the general madness of finding something to drink on the other side of the metal detectors, I’d leave my house no later than 7:00 am without being in a panic driven rush. Up at 5:30. 

• Heart 1

I like to get to the airport 1.5 hours before and would check traffic that morning but would give myself 30 extra minutes.  

But LAX is a debacle in if itself.  With recent construction I have sat in traffic for an hour AT the airport.  It took me 45 minutes to get to the airport & an hour to get to the gate…

• Heart 1

I like to be walking into the terminal 90 minutes before scheduled departure.  Each airport is different on flight closure times.  If you aren't checked in 30 minutes before departure, your seat will be given to a standby passenger.  Having an hour to kill at an airport isn't very difficult.  Besides, when you forget your passport at home and only discover that at the airport, you have time to get an Uber to deliver it to you.   I may or may not have done that. 

• Heart 1
  • Envious 1

35 minutes ago, denniS said:

There are rarely more than two commercial planes on the tarmac at anytime. You've got a 50/50 shot. There are rows of private jets lined up. 

That's probably true for Jackson.   O'Hare....  that place is HUGE and there are MANY gates and jets.  Security can be horrible to get thru on a good day.

10 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Besides, when you forget your passport at home and only discover that at the airport, you have time to get an Uber to deliver it to you.   I may or may not have done that. 

I once forgot my passport but luckily it was back in the days when all you needed was a birth certificate to get into Canada from the US.  I called my parents who had a certified copy of my birth certificate and they raced to the airport about 40 minutes away.  I was waiting in the drop off area when they came driving by with my Mom waving it out the window.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I like to be walking into the terminal 90 minutes before scheduled departure.  Each airport is different on flight closure times.  If you aren't checked in 30 minutes before departure, your seat will be given to a standby passenger.  Having an hour to kill at an airport isn't very difficult.  Besides, when you forget your passport at home and only discover that at the airport, you have time to get an Uber to deliver it to you.   I may or may not have done that. 

Do you hang out in the airport bar? In uniform? 

I only use 2 airports when I fly out of Milwaukee I get to the airport 1 hour before. When flying out of Atlanta I get to the airport 2 hours before takeoff.

• Heart 2

Get to the airport at minimum, 90 min. before departure. For domestic flights, I find the security line-ups long for the flights I've taken.. I like to drink something EARLY at the airport so it will reduce my need to go to the washroom on-flight.

For international, closer to 2 hrs. at the airport before departure. 

I didn't mention getting to the airport..tranportation times, varies in the past and also from which city I am flying from.  I will say this as a airflight traveller who does not drive:

downtown Vancouver to the airport- 1/2 hr. by LRT (but build in extra 20 min. in case there is stopage).

downtown Toronto to airport --I would choose 1 hr. to get to airport in case there are stoppages, subway switches to airport LRT.

downtown Calgary to airport- bus 1 hr.  but bus doesn't run that often as.   Taxi is approx. 45 min.

• Heart 1

For our trip back home, we got tp the airport in Rome about 2 hours early.   We found out that the airline we used Alitalia, had oversold the flight.  We had reserved seats, that were given away.  We asked Alitalia how early should we have arrived to keep our reserved seats?  We were told 4 or 5 hours.:wacko:  

• Sad 2

41 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Do you hang out in the airport bar? In uniform? 

I only use 2 airports when I fly out of Milwaukee I get to the airport 1 hour before. When flying out of Atlanta I get to the airport 2 hours before takeoff.

Yes, there is video evidence.   "Girls can grow up to be pilots too".  "Women can be pilots.  They're not that good,  but they have them."   Cracks me up every time.  :) 

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

Where are you coming from, and to what airport, and where are you going, and why didn't you invite us?  No, I haven't read any replies yet.

21 minutes ago, Bag of Dicks said:

Where are you coming from, and to what airport, and where are you going, and why didn't you invite us?  No, I haven't read any replies yet.

Nowhere, it's just theoretical.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I'd rather be an hour too early than 1 minute too late.

My daughter and her friend were paid by an airline to do some winter photos in Montana. They arrived with plenty of time, but security decided to inspect the camera bags of 2 professional photographers! They could hear the boarding calls and went as fast as they could. Got to the gate 5 minutes before takeoff, yet they wouldn’t let them on! Instead they were flown to Idaho and made a connecting flight from there. The airline covered all expenses but it still didn’t quite feel totally fair. They lost a day of shooting in weather that would have been ideal. So yeah. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, groupw said:

My daughter and her friend were paid by an airline to do some winter photos in Montana. They arrived with plenty of time, but security decided to inspect the camera bags of 2 professional photographers! They could hear the boarding calls and went as fast as they could. Got to the gate 5 minutes before takeoff, yet they wouldn’t let them on! Instead they were flown to Idaho and made a connecting flight from there. The airline covered all expenses but it still didn’t quite feel totally fair. They lost a day of shooting in weather that would have been ideal. So yeah. 

Yeah, they don't delay flights for tardy passengers for sure.  Departure time is pushback back time thus the 30 minutes I mentioned earlier.  You can bet a couple of standby passengers got their seats. 

56 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Yeah, they don't delay flights for tardy passengers for sure.  Departure time is pushback back time thus the 30 minutes I mentioned earlier.  You can bet a couple of standby passengers got their seats. 

Ages ago when I lived in NYC, I took a cab to the airport for a work trip.  The cab got a flat on the 59th St Bridge.  The driver called another cab for me, but by the time it got there I was running late.  I got to the gate shortly after they shut the gateway door (but before the plane pulled away).  I was pretty young and new at the job and concerned that I'd get in trouble for missing the flight and potentially missing the meetings. I must have looked horrified because the nice gateway attendant  called to the plane and they agreed to open the doors and let me on.

When I got on) there were a bunch of people who were also going to be at the meeting who were impressed thinking that I had enough clout to get them to open the doors (rather than just someone who looked so pathetic they took pity on me). One of the more senior people commented rudely "We're waiting  for YOU!"  I didn't tell him the truth. :nodhead:

• Heart 3

33 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Ages ago when I lived in NYC, I took a cab to the airport for a work trip.  The cab got a flat on the 59th St Bridge.  The driver called another cab for me, but by the time it got there I was running late.  I got to the gate shortly after they shut the gateway door (but before the plane pulled away).  I was pretty young and new at the job and concerned that I'd get in trouble for missing the flight and potentially missing the meetings. I must have looked horrified because the nice gateway attendant  called to the plane and they agreed to open the doors and let me on.

When I got on) there were a bunch of people who were also going to be at the meeting who were impressed thinking that I had enough clout to get them to open the doors (rather than just someone who looked so pathetic they took pity on me). One of the more senior people commented rudely "We're waiting  for YOU!"  I didn't tell him the truth. :nodhead:

The good old days!  :) 

• Heart 1