This a weird part of getting old. Various body parts just start hurting randomly

Ralphie

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

I am assuming the wrist one will go away. Hope I am right. No more phone typing with that for a while. That really makes me sound and feel like a wuss. Sheesh!

Break the habit:  I have a good local friend who has a significant problem...so much that she must work in office because it's set up ergonomically proper for her. She can't work at home.  She had to see physiotherapist multiple times for treatment. She is directed not to bike and hasn't for the past 18 months.  Carpal tunnel syndrome, etc. There was a point she even had pain driving a car.

I have refused use of work laptop at home ...for the past 2 decades to avoid issues like this. And so I haven't suffered such pain in past 3.5 decades of full-time work. My job is 85% computer-bound.

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Zealot said:

Right?!!  

I think they should teach a class in high school on aging. Most of us in the modern world don’t really know what to expect unless we’re somehow fortunate enough to have parents and grandparents that live it for us...

My Mom suffered for years with several forms of arthritis, so when mine started in my shoulder, I was not surprised. Thank goodness I inherited good teeth from my Dad.

• Heart 2

My recent pains were mostly self inflicted.    You would think a guy who has lived in the north all his life would know how to walk on snow, and ice.   Like wear my ice cleats, or walk in the grass.

Nope...   On Valentines day while walking the dogs, I slipped and fell over.  At least I didn't fall on the dog.  That would have been bad. He's only 18 pounds and I'm 220. 

I fell my left arm.   A few hours later OMG... it hurt so bad I needed to make a sling to hold the arm, so the pain would stop. 

Three days later... things are getting better.  So... I fall on the ice AGAIN.  :(   This time I landed on my right forearm.  (probably I didn't want to hurt the left arm again)  The wrist STILL hurts.  I probably bruised some of the bones in the wrist.  This may take a while to heal. 

When I was in 2nd grade I broke my right wrist, playing football.  I still remember hearing the 'snap'.   At least that didn't happen again. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

6 hours ago, Philander Seabury said:

I guess this is why people type with their thumbs. Now I am motivated to google up an article on eyephone ergonomics. 

I managed some staff in previous employers where some had carpal for a few months. We also had an occupational therapist/ergonomics person speak at a professional conference where he demonstrated proper sitting position and how technology devices should be positioned.  My memory is long...30 yrs. ago.

I've known 2 employees have surgery in their wrists. Plus 3rd is my friend...and then someone else who is developing..who then was in a car accident....  these people are with my PRESENT employer.

Computer keyboard should be shoulder width (that's why big people hunched over any smaller device is never good for  long), wrist at neutral postion. Neck position looking slightly down at screen not cranking your neck backward  (which is why I don't want to watch LED TV screen mounted high up near ceiling), etc.

8 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I keep them short in length. If long, I send an email.

So far the people  I'm closest  to, prefer to talk at length....rarely email. I probably send longer emails than they do. Their emails are incredibly short and rare. Yes,  they are mid-range iphone texters...

That  works well so far.

On 2/25/2022 at 4:09 AM, Philander Seabury said:

And then recover just as randomly. A few months ago it was my right knee, now it is my left wrist. The wrist could very well be from phone typing. Drat! Gotta go. :(

Right.  I've had various pains that come and go, often in minutes - some of which are due to me working my way back into shape.

Several years ago I had a couple months of chiropractic plus PT treatment for a right hip TFL ligament that succeeded 100%.

So one day a month ago I began to take Jake for a walk and the right hip - out of the blue - began to ache.  Within 10 minutes the ache went away.

It happened near the beginning of the next several walks, more mildly, but I noticed the ache was no where near the front of "iliac crest" bone at the top of the hip - where it was when I had torn the TFL years before.

Friday, there was no pain anywhere.  There's sure to be a new one this week.