Help Me Decide

ChrisL

If you had a budget of $2K for a tubeless disc gravel/road “all road” wheel upgrade what would you like to have?  

Bonus hit and it was fat but not as fat as last year, but I wasn’t expecting what I got last year. 

So many options I’m having wheel overload…. But I do want light & strong so I know it’s gonna cost.  

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

If you had a budget of $2K for a tubeless disc gravel/road “all road” wheel upgrade what would you like to have?  

Bonus hit and it was fat but not as fat as last year, but I wasn’t expecting what I got last year. 

So many options I’m having wheel overload…. But I do want light & strong so I know it’s gonna cost.  

Zipp’s 303 Firecrest Tubeless Disc-brake wheelset

• Heart 3

4 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I would prob say custom build.  King hubs and whatever rims your prefer.  But I have been out of the game for a bit.  Surely there is something else out there now?

King hubs are back order… I am looking at custom but with DT Swiss hubs. Either 240’s or 350’s.  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, denniS said:

Hed or Stan's. Hed has a number of options now depending on the width, weight, and strength you desire. Normally, you can buy complete wheels or rims and build your own. 

I was looking at building up a set with DT Swiss hubs & Stand Gral Carbon hoops.  Haven’t considered Hed.  I’ll ad that to the list.

17 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I am not the best to answer this.  I went for moderately priced Fulcrum 5 for my new road wheelset. 

Are you racing on gravel?  would you need durablility?

Not racing but I do like light wheels and I’m a Clyde so I’m looking at carbon for the weight/durability aspect.  It’s going on the Ritchey which I’m hoping to shed some weight off of.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It’s the upper end of my budget  but no I don’t HAVE to spend $2K. I have been looking at Hunt wheels that are 1/2 my max.

There are a lot of good wheels out there.  Not for nothing, but I have never heard anything but raves for HED stuff from literally everyone that has had them.  I would at least strongly consider them.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I would never get wheels with DT Swiss hubs, freewheeling decibels are distracting as hell.  I feel sorrow for those that have those hubs, profound sorrow.

^^^this. I hear those guys go past me on the riverside MUP, and I think, "If they sound that loud to me, with my partial hearing loss, what must they sound like to the guy on the bike ? WTF ?"

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

^^^this. I hear those guys go past me on the riverside MUP, and I think, "If they sound that loud to me, with my partial hearing loss, what must they sound like to the guy on the bike ? WTF ?"

King hubs, too.  I don't get a glidy peaceful feeling when all I hear is jet engine whirring.

• Haha 1