Why are people so uppity about calling Kiev 'Kyiv'?

Randomguy
Go to solution Solved by Zephyr,

17 hours ago, Randomguy said:

We commonly phonetically spell city and country names to make them most pronounceable to map buyers, so why change now?

Seems you're only beotching about the "romanized" version.  Seems the Ukrainians use their own alphabet (those COMMIES!), so Kiev, Kyiv, or even Kyïv miss the true mark.  Stop being an Ugly American!

Ukrainian: Київ, romanized: Kyïv,

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

I would be mad if you pronounce the city my family lived wrong also.. unless you gave it a damn good try. It is spelled Kočevje, and pronounced by the old spelling Gottschee (Ka-shay)

My bet is @Randomguy gets all befuddled when talking to Brits.  RG's American-centric worldview makes things like this hurt his brain.

30c3e6706feb013a97a6005056a9545d

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

My bet is @Randomguy gets all befuddled when talking to Brits.  RG's American-centric worldview makes things like this hurt his brain.

30c3e6706feb013a97a6005056a9545d

RG is from the Cleveland area.. there was a town south of him called Medina (Ma-Die-Na) but it seems other places in the US call their town with the same name (Me-Dena).. same spelling, different pronunciation depending where ya live