I went to proof my bread, and always should check the oven temp

Dirtyhip

I have this oven where the temp is separate from the setting (bake, broil, not work right, etc.)  If you want to proof, you turn it on preheat with no temp. The light turns o, and that is enough to proof bread.  If you turn the setting off, but leave the temp on, nothing bad happens.  So, sometimes, I turn the oven off, but leave the temp at whatever i used last time.  

Note:  Proofing bread at 500F is not the best idea.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Oh dear.  Was it belong saving?

Yes.  Someone in the house saved the day.  He's like, you want that on?  I said oh yea, I am proofing.  He's said "AT 500?"  Then I screamed.  

:D  Oh, the drama.  Usually, it is pretty quiet and boring around here, aka:  happy silence.  No ripples.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

My wife one time broke up bread for the stuffing in a big Tupperware bowl the night before thanksgiving. There was no room on the kitchen counter so she stuck it in the oven to get it out of the way. The next morning she turned the oven on to preheat and soon I could smell toast. I asked her why she was making toast and then she remembered the bowl of bread in the oven. The Tupperware bowl had melted and dripped down through the oven racks. I transferred the bread that wasn’t stuck to the plastic to another bowl and Thanksgiving was saved. The bowl was not but as the oven cooled off I was able to remove the melted plastic.

• Confused 2
  • Hugs 1