Garden work

Parsnip Totin Jack

20 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Picked up supplies and built two new garden beds. These will be moved inside the frame in the background after the weed block fabric is laid down. There is room for four of these garden beds. Netting will be hung from the structure to keep the deer oot. Those bastards will eat everything and not think twice about it. Planting peas, beans, maters, lettuce, radishes, carrots, and okra. 

897A9248-BF76-4D69-AFA2-58472E827ECE.jpeg

Looks nice. About the deer, that is what happens when humans move into the deer's habitat.

• Heart 1

29 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Picked up supplies and built two new garden beds. These will be moved inside the frame in the background after the weed block fabric is laid down. There is room for four of these garden beds. Netting will be hung from the structure to keep the deer oot. Those bastards will eat everything and not think twice about it. Planting peas, beans, maters, lettuce, radishes, carrots, and okra. 

You know, some venison will go well with all them veggies! 

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

Looks great. Wish I had taken pictures today as finally got mine planted. Was done yesterday except for that lone row of radishes as I trenched it and ready to drop seed only to discover I didn't have any. 

While I don't have deer, I did draped netting on the frame. Do have rabbits, but the biggest culprit are squirrels. They must have radar where seeds are and they dig and dig and dig. The other issue are cats who thing it is a 4'x8' litter box. While I used nylon "deer" mesh netting, may change the two 4' ends to chicken wire. A fence is on the backside and prior years had indigo snakes trapped in the netting as they followed the fence. Chicken wire will give them a large enough opening. Also, if I have pineapple this year, will be a stronger barrier to raccoon who were unphased by the netting. 

• Heart 1

Looks great.  We are doing ours out of these metal sides.  Trail Boss has built two and we need three more, and then the fencing.  I have clover coming up everywhere and I plan to seed the alfalfa and more clover within the next two weeks or so. My meadow is going to look fantastic.  They will have plenty of nutritious things to munch.  They poop all over and my soil loves it.   We are getting more and more new birds on the property.  We are just loving the ecosystem here. They love my brush piles.  I chip them up in the late Spring and then make more for the next season.  

We are going to use 1 inch chicken wire around it and bury it into the ground.  Our jail garden.  HAHA   It makes me wonder what farmers do.  They sure dont fence it all.  Plant more to make up for the predation.  :dontknow:

There was deer in our city lot garden.  They would get some and I would get some.  They did massacre the cabbage heads.  I went out one day and thought it was bugs, and Trail Boss laughed and just said "You've got really BIG bugs."  It was the deer just taking big bites out of them.  Of course, they don't just eat one, they take bites out of each head.  haha

16 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

Excellent - I plan to build two similar beds, 12" high and 12'L x 4'W in April or May and set veggie plants out in June. I want install vertical tubes of PVC pipe to hold "hoops" of flexible 1/2" PVC pipe as in the picture below.  If I get lazy, I can always wait until later to do the hoops and tubes - they're mostly for if I want to cover a bed with plastic tarp as a greenhouse in early Spring.  The plan was from THIS site (its video HERE), where they're now going 12" high and using metal 3/8" rebar for the hoops for some reason.  There's a lot of extra dirt in two spots of my back yard that I will mix with several bags of topsoil.

292457864_HoopsonRaisedBed.png.b8750708f7bf19709ac411b4e8da927b.png

Materials for a 12" high, 8' x 4' bed:

• Four 16 inch-long 4-by-4s*, to act as corner posts
  • Two 4-foot-long 2-by-12s*, for bed ends
  • Two 8-foot-long 2-by-12s*, for bed sides
  • Twenty-four 3 1/2-inch #14 galvanized or stainless steel screws 
  • Twenty-four 1/2-inch #8 galvanized or stainless steel screws; optional
  • Six 12-inch-long pieces of 1/2-inch PVC pipes; optional
  • Three 10-foot-long pieces of 3/8-gauge rebar; optional
  • Three 3- by 5-foot rolls of 1/4-inch-mesh hardware cloth, to deter burrowing animals; optional
  • Twelve 1-inch galvanized tube straps; optional
  • 1 roll bird netting or floating row cover; optional
  • 16 cubic feet of planting soil
  • 16 cubic feet of compost
  • Drip-watering system; optional

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Looks good. Do you have enough sun?  I thought your lot was pretty shady. 

Are you asking me or Dr Mickins? @MickinMD

We have full sun from mid morning on. The backyard faces south and the neighbors to the east have a lot of trees, our trees were thinned out except the back line. 

• Heart 1