Trade it in or sell it on Marketplace?

Wilbur

I have a Samsung Tablet, maybe a few years old.  It works just as fast as new.  I don't game, so I don't need the really fast new one that just came out.  I spent a lot on it when I got it, I use it every day.  I plan to get at least a few more years out of it.

My phone is the same, except Samsung has a bad history with Verizon of stopping providing updates.  I just got the S21 about 5 weeks ago.  A week too old to return, and now the S22 came out.  :(  Again, I don't care about the new features, I care about the lifecycle with Verizon.

My PC is the same, I spent a decent amount and built a fast PC.  It's done everything I've ever needed, I suspect the only reason I'll replace it is it will die.  I can't upgrade to WIn11.  It's about 6 years old.

My cars on the other hand don't have a good history with me.  I seem to trade them in too quick.  This one I like.

I'm not an i person, but from what I understand iPhones get updates forever.  I'd keep it as long as it wasn't slowing down and was still supported.

• Heart 2

35 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I have a Samsung Tablet, maybe a few years old.  It works just as fast as new.  I don't game, so I don't need the really fast new one that just came out.  I spent a lot on it when I got it, I use it every day.  I plan to get at least a few more years out of it.

My phone is the same, except Samsung has a bad history with Verizon of stopping providing updates.  I just got the S21 about 5 weeks ago.  A week too old to return, and now the S22 came out.  :(  Again, I don't care about the new features, I care about the lifecycle with Verizon.

My PC is the same, I spent a decent amount and built a fast PC.  It's done everything I've ever needed, I suspect the only reason I'll replace it is it will die.  I can't upgrade to WIn11.  It's about 6 years old.

My cars on the other hand don't have a good history with me.  I seem to trade them in too quick.  This one I like.

I'm not an i person, but from what I understand iPhones get updates forever.  I'd keep it as long as it wasn't slowing down and was still supported.

The guy I primarily fly with has an S21 and he likes it but he had a Note before that with a stylus and that almost made me switch.  I liked that he could do all the form filling with the note stylus which saved us having to print, sign or complete, scan and email back.  It was cool.  The S21 lacks the stylus.  :( 

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

What to do with the auld ones? 

I still have my Galaxy S7.   By the time I decide I need a new phone, no one will want the S7. 

WoBG's iPhone XR will be used for more than a few years.

The other phones we had... will no longer work after they turned off the 2G cell phone system years ago. 

Now the 3G system is being shutdown too.   I'll guess a lot people who have of old cell phones that only work on the 3G system, may be surprised one day when the phone won't work anymore.  

7 hours ago, Airehead said:

I break them so this is never a question 

This is why my Galaxy S7 will be 6 years old.   Before I used it, the phone was placed inside an OtterBox defender case.  If I didn't use the case, I'm sure it would have died before now.  I've dropped the phone more than a few times over the years.

WoBG's iPhone XR also got an OtterBox defender case.   

I broke the screen on the company issued Windows cell phone I had.  It never had a case, and I dropped the phone.

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

iPhones.  What to do with the auld ones? 

I waited until I could get a true Smartphone for the first time in 2018, a Samsung Galaxy S7 for $429.

Before that, I had cheap semi-smart phones that were tossed away.  I got the Galaxy S7 because the photos and videos had reached a decent level of quality and I was tired of lugging a camera with a zoom lens and a camcorder around.

Today, the Galaxy S7 is still working fine - I think they only cost $115 now and the new versions don't take much better pictures and videos (there are side-by-side comparisons on YouTube), I have enough memory to take a month's worth of overseas tour video and pictures, it runs all the apps, so I'll probably keep it until it breaks.

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I stick my old iPhones in the drawer next to my chair.

Normally, I pass them on to younger family.  But, as they last for a long time, and most folks now have them already, there is less a need from the kids in the family to want them.

So, as I type, I see an old 7 and 6+ just gathering dust. Our 11 and 12 models will be around for a while, so my next iPhone will be a 16(?) or so.  

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Normally, I pass them on to younger family.  But, as they last for a long time, and most folks now have them already, there is less a need from the kids in the family to want them.

So, as I type, I see an old 7 and 6+ just gathering dust. Our 11 and 12 models will be around for a while, so my next iPhone will be a 16(?) or so.  

My wife always downloaded games for the grandkids on her old phones and kept the phones charged. Now the grandkids all have their own devices and Esther is gone so her old phones are in a box with other electronic junk. Her most recent phone I keep charged and the grandkids like to look at the pictures on her phone and sometimes play games on it.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

My wife always downloaded games for the grandkids on her old phones and kept the phones charged. Now the grandkids all have their own devices and Esther is gone so her old phones are in a box with other electronic junk. Her most recent phone I keep charged and the grandkids like to look at the pictures on her phone and sometimes play games on it.

Yeah - if nothing else, they are an emergency back up phone if I somehow drop or lose my current one. I'd more likely immediately replace mine, but who knows?  Also, the photos are not that out of date on those old ones, and if I log them in to the iCloud, I assume all the newer photos would be visible.  We also have Apple TV, and the remote that comes with them is annoyingly small.  I guess I could dedicate one of the old phones to "remote" and music streaming, but usually, I just use my current phone instead, and can't see using the old ones.  With no "little ones" coming around to be entertained, these old phones do accumulate.  I think I tossed a bunch of late 90s/early 00s flip phones a while back that had been in a box in the closet for YEARS.