How many hours

Road Runner

...of sleep do you get each night?  I used to be able to sleep 8-10 hours, but no more.  Now I am lucky to sleep 5-6 hours.  I fall asleep easily, but wake up well before I would like.  I have read health-related articles that say you should get at least 7 hours each night, preferably 8. 

How do you get enough sleep?  Drugs?  Alcohol?    :dontknow:   

My sleep has been poor in past few years...it's grief-related, etc. which was then messed up with my concussion and recovery.

I used to sleep 7-8 hrs. straight through in my life, until a decade ago.  Now it can be 5 hrs. or so.

Sleep drug medication is not something I want get into...because body becomes addicted. I did try it  shortly after concussion accident ..for only 3 wks. The doctor did  say the body can become addicted. So I just deal with warm shower in evening, some exercise, etc. 

• Hugs 1

My goal - on my Apple sleep app - is 10:30 - 6:30 ( hrs).  In reality, I usually read until past 10:30 and wake up at some point to pee or because the dog jumped on the bed or my wife got up.  So, uninterrupted sleep is shorter. I don't have problems sleeping, but I do generally need to read to get to sleep in the first place.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I don't have problems sleeping, but I do generally need to read to get to sleep in the first place.

I'm the reverse... no problems whatsoever falling asleep, but I almost always wake up earlier than I want to, and if that's after 4am or so I have a really hard time getting back - often fretting about work stress, or in the last week, a replacement set of worries (maybe irrational, maybe not)... My average over the past few months is probably around 5-1/2 to 6 hours.

21 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I'm the reverse... no problems whatsoever falling asleep, but I almost always wake up earlier than I want to, and if that's after 4am or so I have a really hard time getting back - often fretting about work stress, or in the last week, a replacement set of worries (maybe irrational, maybe not)... My average over the past few months is probably around 5-1/2 to 6 hours.

That's my wife.  She can fall asleep instantly - talking one minute, sound asleep the next.  But, she wakes up with a head full of rational & irrational worries, and struggles to get back to sleep.  If she wakes me up, though, it can be a real challenge for me to also get sleeping again.

It makes sense why couples sleep in separate rooms. I always thought it strange, but even though neither of us snores, nor keeps different hours, nor really does much to keep the other awake, the times we do disrupt each other result in two people with a crappy night of rest rather than just one being "off" the next day.