Is it bad

jsharr

8 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Your manhood isn’t tied to the caliber of the weapon.  Shoot what makes you happy. 

Would that this could be communicated to parts of the country.  Like Page I quit the ranges and sold the firearms.  There are far too many dangerous people involved with guns.  It takes away from those intelligent shooters who care.

8 hours ago, jsharrwick said:

I really don’t want to kill anything

You say that now but just wait when the zombies attack.

7 hours ago, Page Turner said:

my vision has gotten considerably worse in the interim.

I stopped shooting rabbits and groundhogs raiding my garden when I started missing them. Now that I have great vision again I should set up a target and see what I can do.

• Thank You 1

I've always liked shooting the "small" stuff - from a 22 or down into the BB/pellet range.  The bigger stuff - louder and/or bigger kick - is also fun, but in a totally different way.  Both have their place in at the range (or backyard).  I've never shot a machine gun or a "bazooka", but those would also have their place - different from the others too.  

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I've always liked shooting the "small" stuff - from a 22 or down into the BB/pellet range.  The bigger stuff - louder and/or bigger kick - is also fun, but in a totally different way.  Both have their place in at the range (or backyard).  I've never shot a machine gun or a "bazooka", but those would also have their place - different from the others too.  

...the indoor public range that the city runs down in Hollywood Park would be great fun on bazooka day, you betcha.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...the indoor public range that the city runs down in Hollywood Park would be great fun on bazooka day, you betcha.

When my oldest son was still teaching in Japan he took a vacation to Cambodia.  Among some great trips such as a guided tour of old temples deep in the interior to great food at the small hotel of a German expat he also went to what amounted to a military amusement park run by the Cambodian army.  It seems they supplemented their insufficient income by running a tourist show.  For a fee he was allowed to shoot an AK-47 and a machine gun.  Then they offered to let him fire an RPG and for an extra fee would provide a cow as a target.  Presumably they would salvage what was left for dinner.  He declined on the cow part of the trip.

• Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Then they offered to let him fire an RPG and for an extra fee would provide a cow as a target.  Presumably they would salvage what was left for dinner.  He declined on the cow part of the trip.

I'm fine with a row of bottles or a pyramid of beer cans!  Probably not with a RPG, but I'm sure I could come up with a non-cow alternative.

1 minute ago, 2Far said:

Sooo, which Beretta do you have? Asking for a friend who maintains a 'small' collection.

I thought of getting a semi auto version of my 9mm to do the same sort of thing, but opted to go with the Smith & Wesson Victory instead.  Pretty glad I did.   Will probably end up trying a few 1911 variants at the range and if I like them, sell the 9mm and buy a used 45

Interesting range comments. My LGR is rarely busy at the times I go. They have two separate bays of 8 lanes each. There's a RSO there when there's more than a couple of lanes occupied (I am sure they have a procedure, but I don't know what it is). I've never seen anyone acting recklessly/unsafe. The only time the RSO said anything to me was a comment about the drill I was running.

Dot Torture:

image.thumb.png.4c5b5f68345c4d84ac6864c71fccc73b.png

9 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Sooo, which Beretta do you have? Asking for a friend who maintains a 'small' collection.

...at the time I bought it, I just wanted a standard 9 mm pistol with a real safety, so I wouldn't shoot myself in the leg.  Glock trigger safety style 9's were all the rage then, so I went with whatever was the current Beretta 92.  It worked, because I have yet to shoot myself in the leg.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

I thought of getting a semi auto version of my 9mm to do the same sort of thing, but opted to go with the Smith & Wesson Victory instead.  Pretty glad I did.   Will probably end up trying a few 1911 variants at the range and if I like them, sell the 9mm and buy a used 45

...you need that "Sam Houston "commemorative, sir. And it will only appreciate in value.:)

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...you need that "Sam Houston "commemorative, sir. And it will only appreciate in value.:)

I am a cheap bastard and would never spend that sort of money on something for myself, investment or not.  I want to feel good about using my toys and letting them show a bit of wear.  I hope my boys inherit my guns and keep them forever.  I envy friends who have guns that have been handed down father to son.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Interesting range comments. My LGR is rarely busy at the times I go. They have two separate bays of 8 lanes each. There's a RSO there when there's more than a couple of lanes occupied (I am sure they have a procedure, but I don't know what it is). I've never seen anyone acting recklessly/unsafe. The only time the RSO said anything to me was a comment about the drill I was running.

Dot Torture:

image.thumb.png.4c5b5f68345c4d84ac6864c71fccc73b.png

Our range masters are very aware and on point.  My oldest put his gun in the case with the barrel point backwards and not down range and the RSO got on him.  Same session I moved an unloaded gun from one lane to the lane next to it, as we had both lanes.  RSO told me I needed to put the gun in a case to move it, even lane to lane.

They even look for things like poor technique that could end up with slide bite, etc.

Also had an RSO yesterday come up and give me the Order of Arrow handshake, as I was wearing a OA shirt.  Order of the Arrow is Scoutings national camping honor society.

Just now, Page Turner said:

...at the time I bought it, I just wanted a standard 9 mm pistol with a real safety, so I wouldn't shoot myself in the leg.  Glock trigger safety style 9's were all the rage then, so I went with whatever was the current Beretta 92.  It worked, because I have yet to shoot myself in the leg.

Wise decision. My 'friend' has several a few  92 variants with the G setup, either factory or modified. The G makes the safety decocker only, so you have single action for the first shot (full trigger pull) and double action for the subsequent shots (short trigger pull).

Beretta did eventually come out with a pistol with the trigger safety, the APX series. The scuttlebutt was that they were trying to get the next military contract after the announcement of the phase-out of the Beretta M9.

1 minute ago, jsharrwick said:

I hope my boys inherit my guns and keep them forever.  I envy friends who have guns that have been handed down father to son.

...I inherited my father-in-law's HI Standard .22.  When my wife's mother died, it was in a closet somewhere, and because everyone else in her family here are Marin county liberal Californians, nobody knew what to do with it.  So I piped up, "Well, I would be happy to take it." Nice pistol...not the best and most expensive target pistol, but very good American made quality from the Olden Days.

I like to think I saved it from being taken to the police and melted down. Which would have been a shame.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

Also had an RSO yesterday come up and give me the Order of Arrow handshake, as I was wearing a OA shirt.  Order of the Arrow is Scoutings national camping honor society.

I don't remember there being an OA handshake. I remember the oath. I thought I misheard it b/c it wasn't anything I was expecting.

Just now, Page Turner said:

...I inherited my father-in-law's HI Standard .22.  When my wife's mother died, it was in a closet somewhere, and because everyone else in her family here are Marin county liberal Californians, nobody knew what to do with it.  So I piped up, "Well, I would be happy to take it." Nice pistol...not the best and most expensive target pistol, but very good American made quality from the Olden Days.

I like to think I saved it from being taken to the police and melted down. Which would have been a shame.

A High Standard 22 was one of the firearms I divested myself of.  It was, along with my Remington Nylon 66 22 rifle turned over to the police.  Sad but I'm done with that part of society.  The collector items were sold to a collector.  That included my Weatherby Varmint Master 224 and my Remington Fireball 221 bolt action pistol.

I'm at an age now where any attempt to defend something would probably result in the weapons getting into the wrong hands anyway.

• Heart 1