Latest Cholesterol Numbers Are Trending Up

Razors Edge

...so getting into "statin" territory.  Never sure when's a good time to start doping, but I am always hesitant to turn to any regular medication.  Hitting 100 for LDL is a "threshold" number.  

Total Chol = 199 mg/dL (2018 = 160)  <--WORSE!

Triglycerides = 60 (2018 = 53)   <-- WORSE!

HDL = 74 (2018 = 67)   <-- BETTER!

VLDL = 11 (same as 2018)

LDL = 100 (2018 = 82)   <-- WORSE!

• Sad 1

Your Triglycerides are good and Good Cholesterol (HDL) numbers are very good.

In general according to the Mayo Clinic's website (table below), an LDL of 100 isn't awful - depending on personal health conditions.  Personally, I was on statins for a while - no cholesterol problem but supposedly good for type-II diabetics - and didn't like the side effects of feeling unwell and sore throat (there are a LOT more).  My sister, a Johns Hopkins research master nurse, told me to stop taking them.

image.png.ba3408a8121e70fb122228e84209d048.png

There's a study that shows type-II diabetics on statins live longer than without statins whether or not they have cholesterol problems - so my doctor put me on a low dose.  I asked if there's a study of people whose cholesterol is often so low it's below the lowest level shown on cholesterol webpages.  Statins have numerous side effects and two I felt while on them was frequently feeling unwell and having a sore throat when I wasn't otherwise sick.  I stopped taking them.

They should take samples of my and my later father's DNA - eventually they'll identify which genes are great for cholesterol because we've always had great numbers and not always great diets. My last:

image.thumb.png.165c0af1615c81c607a1e83715e9ad58.png

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

we've always had great numbers and not always great diets

That’s what I was thinking. I always was on a low fat high fiber diet self imposed and you always had better numbers than me. The only numbers I had that was better was on the scale. Now I have good numbers but they are fake because I’m on statins.

I had a great diet and bad numbers. On low dose statin now with heart protective CoQ10 supplementation. I've been eating all kinds of fat food and tortillas every day. My numbers are still dropping. Go figure. I told the doctor the only reason I am eating like this is to be like everyone else so he could understand what is going on. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I win, or lose, depending on which value you look at.

My cholesterol has always been good.  Post stroke, I am on Lipitor (forever).  Clearly it dropped my total a lot.  One benefit it's supposed to have is to raise your HDL.  Well, that didn't happen.  My highest HDL ever, when I was 40 pounds lighter and super fit, was 41.

Component Your Value Standard Range
HDL 39 mg/dL
CHOLESTEROL 98 mg/dL
TRIGLYCERIDES 85 mg/dL
LDL 42 mg/dL
NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL 59 mg/dL
Reference Range: The non-HDL Cholesterol value should not exceed the desired LDL-C by more than 30 mg/dl.

9 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I win, or lose, depending on which value you look at.

My cholesterol has always been good.  Post stroke, I am on Lipitor (forever).  Clearly it dropped my total a lot.  One benefit it's supposed to have is to raise your HDL.  Well, that didn't happen.  My highest HDL ever, when I was 40 pounds lighter and super fit, was 41.

Component Your Value Standard Range
HDL 39 mg/dL >39 mg/dL
CHOLESTEROL 98 mg/dL 0 - 199 mg/dL
TRIGLYCERIDES 85 mg/dL 0 - 150 mg/dL
LDL 42 mg/dL 50 - 129 mg/dL
NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL 59 mg/dL mg/dL
Reference Range: The non-HDL Cholesterol value should not exceed the desired LDL-C by more than 30 mg/dl.

Yeah - those are "better" and "worse" but overall look good to me.  Getting HDL as close to LDL is supposed to be good (who knows), so you're close!

10 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

More fish.

Start avoiding the starchy veggies like corn and lima beans.  Eat more celery. 

Change your goto energy boost during rides.

More fish - always a good idea! But I do eat fish several times a week already. 

Starchy veg? We eat some corn and lima beans, but not as our main veggies by any stretch.

Energy boost is usually nothing. Just water in my bottles.

• Heart 1

On 2/28/2022 at 10:25 AM, Razors Edge said:

...so getting into "statin" territory.  Never sure when's a good time to start doping, but I am always hesitant to turn to any regular medication.  Hitting 100 for LDL is a "threshold" number.  

Total Chol = 199 mg/dL (2018 = 160)  <--WORSE!

Triglycerides = 60 (2018 = 53)   <-- WORSE!

HDL = 74 (2018 = 67)   <-- BETTER!

VLDL = 11 (same as 2018)

LDL = 100 (2018 = 82)   <-- WORSE!

Total Cholesterol was actually 185 (199 was the high of the "ref range: 100 -199")!

33 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

My total cholesterol was in the 230s when I had my heart attack. Just sayin'.

I just knocked my number down by 14!

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

More fish.

Start avoiding the starchy veggies like corn and lima beans.  Eat more celery. 

Change your goto energy boost during rides.

No

Doing OK on the veggie front.

On runs I only use water.  Was having a rough patch with rides, so started adding Skratch.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Reduce the sugar, eat oatmeal, exercise.

trying, check, check.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1