What Does A Student Member Do?

Razors Edge

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

$50???? Come on! Give them a real cut of the action.

I’d go for $50 per meeting. If for no other reason than to walk out when someone starts talking about banning books or limits on transgender student rights or spending money to form curriculum committees…

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

....on the School Board?  @MoseySusan?

Seems they are getting the shaft $$$-wise!

image.thumb.png.9ae2247c889111fcb70ff138947f06d3.png

It helps to have some students to bounce ideas off of, but the ones chosen as "student member" in my county are usually not from the social mainstream of the student population.  The student member is one of those the school system fits now and comes out near the top of the class.  So you don't get the insight of kids who are having trouble learning, have drunk parents, often don't get meals at home - lunch is their big meal of the day.

In our county, they had teens sign up for a pledge to not drink alcohol on prom night and there was a contest to see which of our 12 county high schools could get the highest percent of seniors to sign.

I wanted to asked a senior if he/she was going to live up to the pledge, but I didn't pick the valedictorian who wasn't going to drink anyway and wasn't going to be mixing with many kids afterward. I asked one of my popular former students for the scoop: "Yeah, I'm going to drink. I just signed so our school would win the contest.  Everybody I know is going to drink."

I then asked her what would convince most of the teenagers not to do it.  "Maybe if I saw someone in a car wreck,"

Eventually, shortly before the prom, they held an assembly with pictures of past years' prom night wrecks including bloody bodies.  I'm sure it didn't end prom night drinking, but I'm sure it had a much better effect than a pledge contest.

You want to be able to get THAT kind of input from a Board of Ed Student Member.

The 12 School Board members are elected for four-year terms; one member represents each of the County’s nine magisterial districts, and three members serve at large. A student representative, selected for a one-year term by the Student Advisory Council, sits with the Board at all public meetings and participates in discussions, but does not vote.