The story of Saturday

Randomguy

17 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Sounds like a fun day!  What was the chicken special?  I might have stuck to just eating the jelly donut.

The chicken was special!  The pierogies were also probably the best I have had.

The jelly donut was weird.  It tasted like a dry potato doughnut and the jelly was super thick and oddly flavored.  The borscht was fine, but I don't think I would get it again, and no way on the jelly donut again.   I will go there with you if you every find your way down to the city, just let me know.

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Nice.  Not many Ukranian places in my little corner of Indiana.  

You would tear that place up, McSorley's, too. 

There is one other Ukrainian place I have been to before, but it was way Americanized, enough so that I couldn't consider it anything other than a diner.  There is another old-school style Ukrainian place that I have not been to either, but it is on the list of places to eventually check out.

• Heart 1

Alberta historically had alot of Ukrainians settle and farm the land in late 1800's into early 1900's. There are quite a number of Ukranian churches that dot the landscape. There is a full blown Ukrainian heritage village with 2 different church styles, grain elevator, piggery, etc. on sizeable acreage.  It's about 300 km. north of us.

Then in the capital city of Edmonton, in front the  provincial legislature, there are art scultpture figurines which commemorate this group of people.

This heritage is obvious to me, as someone having lived in other  regions in  Canada.

So all sorts of perogy variations. I don't know the  local premiere Ukrainian restaurants since for me, we would go to a farmers' market for Ukrainian lunch and there, to a  local supplier that makes about 8 different types of perogy fillings. (savoury, fruit choices). Best things  about these  perogies are, the skins are just the right thinness and hold in boiling water without bursting, the stuffing is really stuffed. I've had other perogies where it was too much dough vs. filling.

• Heart 2

Looking at Google (sorry @Philander Seabury), it seems we have more Russkie restaurants than Ukranian ones :(

I wonder if the governor is gonna force them to stop selling Russian food?  Or maybe require them to rename their menus?  Chicken Kiev must mow be Chicken Київ?  Or Freedom Київ? 

46 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Nice. That bar sounds awesome

It is!  I went there many years ago when I first moved here with a friend, but it was so packed it was hard to get a sense of it, We tried to go a couple of times prior as it was on the way to some fancy-pants beer bar that he liked a lot.  Not sure how Wilbur and I ended up going there, but it was a lot of fun and the night was a blast.  I recommend hanging with Wilbur if he comes to your town, he is a lot of fun in person and has cool stories and has been everywhere.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

7 hours ago, Randomguy said:

No.  I am too large to fit in a shower with another person, unless the shower is bigger..

The smaller showers are more fun when you shower together. If you are actually trying to get clean you might want to take another shower before or after your shared shower.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, Randomguy said:

It is!  I went there many years ago when I first moved here with a friend, but it was so packed it was hard to get a sense of it, We tried to go a couple of times prior as it was on the way to some fancy-pants beer bar that he liked a lot.  Not sure how Wilbur and I ended up going there, but it was a lot of fun and the night was a blast.  I recommend hanging with Wilbur if he comes to your town, he is a lot of fun in person and has cool stories and has been everywhere.

That was a fun place and night.  Maybe except the Sangria because that didn't taste good after beer. :) 

• Heart 1

• 4 months later...

We went to the Ukranian place again on Saturday around 10:30 in the morning, it was still fun and still very cheap.  Less people in this time, I think I had gone the other time when the war had just started.  They had the stuffed cabbages and kielbasa this time, so we did, too.  Maybe not so healthy but tasty comfort food.

We were too stuffed to go to McSorely's after. but we walked a bit and then went to a rooftop bar that had a happy hour from noon - 3:00pm.  Cheap margaritas and $1 tacos, but we skipped the tacos because of all the food we had.

It is now seeming like a fun day when you eat Ukranian food in the morning.  There is another Ukranian place I want to check out eventually, too.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Yum 1