Anybody Using AirTags?

Razors Edge

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

..on something like their bike or even their car?  Seems like a sort of "low cost" LoJack?  

No. Are these gps locators? Haven’t there been a lot of reports of criminals using these to track people, either to stalk them or rob them when they aren’t home?

I’ve considered using them on my cat’s collars, but not sure how sensitive they are. Could I find them in a multistory home, or would it just show that they are inside the building?

Just now, Prophet Zacharia said:

No. Are these gps locators? Haven’t there been a lot of reports of criminals using these to track people, either to stalk them or rob them when they aren’t home?

I’ve considered using them on my cat’s collars, but not sure how sensitive they are. Could I find them in a multistory home, or would it just show that they are inside the building?

I think they simply are always looking for other Apple products?  So, when they find one, they say hi, and then Apple knows where the AirTag is - either currently or last known location.  Same tech as "Find my iPhone"?  Not sure what other electronics they contain - like to spot open networks or use GPS.

And, sure, Apple has had to figure out how to keep nefarious folks (DON!) from attaching one to a person/thing and using that to track them.  I think a new notification will pop up if an unknown AirPod is noticed traveling with you, so that may challenge the long term use for theft prevention - ie, if a thief steals your bike and has an iPhone, will they get a warning and then search the bike?

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

So if I went room to room with my iPhone, looking for a cat, it would alert me to their presence, even if hidden under the bed?

Yep.  People put them (and other trackers) on car keys and and find them that way.  No need to go room to room - it shows you where to go.

4 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I got one for my keys, but had to update some apple software and decided against it.  I currently have a tile on my keychains, but I think the tags work better.

It looks a little big for a cat's collar. What do you think?

11 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I got one for my keys, but had to update some apple software and decided against it.  I currently have a tile on my keychains, but I think the tags work better.

Yeah - it seems AirTag for Apple folks, SmartTag for Samsungians, and Tile for the non-Apple/Samsung crowd.

The tag itself is a little large, but it also has to be attached with something.  For the sake of comparison, I took a picture of the tag next to a quarter and a "tag holder". You might be able to find a smaller tag holder, but this gives you some idea.

If my cat went outside, I might find it worth it, even if it is a little large, but I'd definitely look for the smallest holder I could.  They do make some special collars with built in holders for itags, so they are attached to the collar and don't hang down, but they're still a bit bulky.

IMG_2622[1].JPG

11 minutes ago, Kirby said:

They do make some special collars with built in holders for itags, so they are attached to the collar and don't hang down, but they're still a bit bulky.

One of my cats is a little crazy, another a little reclusive. We’ve lost both INSIDE the house for an extended period of time. Particularly when we are on vacation and have cat sitters, the one cat goes into hiding. The risk is she gets shut into a room that the cat sitters think is clear, then the cat can’t get out for days.

5 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

One of my cats is a little crazy, another a little reclusive. We’ve lost both INSIDE the house for an extended period of time. Particularly when we are on vacation and have cat sitters, the one cat goes into hiding. The risk is she gets shut into a room that the cat sitters think is clear, then the cat can’t get out for days.

My son has had a cat for about 5 years, that I've never seen. When I check his house while he's away, the one cat is like a puppy greeting me at the door and following me through the house, the other, :dontknow:, the kid tells me there are two cats, couldn't prove it by me.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Further said:

My son has had a cat for about 5 years, that I've never seen. When I check his house while he's away, the one cat is like a puppy greeting me at the door and following me through the house, the other, :dontknow:, the kid tells me there are two cats, couldn't prove it by me.

I have a friend with that exact same set of cats. :D

• Heart 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2022 at 3:38 PM, Prophet Zacharia said:

So this experiment isn’t going great. One cat, who is omnipresent, wears her collar and airtag without issue. The crazy cat who is always there when you open a can of food is able to drop her collar occasionally, but will allow you to put it back on. The shy, reclusive cat that gets lost by my petsitters every time we go on vacation has not only managed to lose her collar and tag, but to also do so in a location that I haven’t been able to locate via the ping noise feature. It doesn’t seem to be in the basement, but that’s all I’ve determined so far.

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/28/2022 at 8:01 PM, Further said:

One of my best friends had a cat like that named Spock. I became the only visitor he would show himself to. My friend called me a cat whisperer. 
Ours is very shy and will hide when visitors come, but will eventually watch from a distance. We had a friend feed her when we were gone. She said she knew something in the house was eating the food so she hoped it was the cat though she never saw her. 

• Heart 1