I am thinking Ukraine is done. Maybe even today.

Wilbur

7 hours ago, Kzoo said:

It's not.  It hasn't moved since yesterday.  Just sitting there waiting.  And waiting...

Soooooo....a sitting target. Yet no one is firing on them. No bombers floating along this line dropping bombs here and there.... I just don't get it.

19 minutes ago, smudge said:

Soooooo....a sitting target. Yet no one is firing on them. No bombers floating along this line dropping bombs here and there.... I just don't get it.

I’m just surmising here as I don’t know shit about fuck on what’s going on but from a general tactics stand point, if a smaller force is defending against a larger force it is really risky to extend out of your defensive perimeter to attack the column.  Smaller teams with Javelin missiles could disrupt the column and may have but they really need to engage in manner that is tactically beneficial.   Hitting the column in the open is risky. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

I’m just surmising here as I don’t know shit about fuck on what’s going on but from a general tactics stand point, if a smaller force is defending against a larger force it is really risky to extend out of your defensive perimeter to attack the column.  Smaller teams with Javelin missiles could disrupt the column and may have but they really need to engage in manner that is tactically beneficial.   Hitting the column in the open is risky. 

I also don't know shit about fuck, but I see it as being riskier to not bomb the living crap out of a concentrated single column of enemy troops and equipment.  If they are on the road, why not mine the road?  Why not strafe the convoy?  Why not drone-bomb the convoy?  Why not start attacking at the front to slow progress and at the back to cut off retreat?  Aren't there any bombers or fighters that can at least partially evade Russian countermeasures?  I understand that they are out-equipped by the Russians, but Shirley they must have some capability, right?

Assuming that there are terrain features in parts of the road there that would prevent simply going off the road (hills, mountains (I am not familiar with Ukrainian topology) bogs, mud, etc), then it makes sense to shoot at a concentrated mass with possibly limited side-to-side movement capabilities.  Make it hard, not easy, for them to roll in as a group.  Disrupt, cause chaos and mayhem, make the Russians fight for every inch, that sounds like a reasonable strategy to follow, I would think.  I realize that it is a bit more aggressive, but just a couple of bombers or missile or rocket equipped fighters or an A10 substitute or two would cause a lot of consternation in a convoy like that.

Edit: Ok, I am reading about Russia's advanced long range anti-aircraft missiles and other systems, and can see that the Ukrainians would have a tough time not getting shot the hell up and down with the old-school fighter/bombers they have.   Making war and not love is tricky business, it seems.

13 hours ago, Wilbur said:

:(

Meanwhile, debates continue and sanctions that will have an effect in a month are being kicked about. 

In the end, a rogue super power nation can do whatever they please.  All the world fears a nuclear war.  What a way to live. 

Putin may have done the West a favor in the long run.

There have been some good things going on.  The need for NATO is no longer being debated and it's united more than at any time since the last cold war.  Germany has increased its defense spending and says it will now be above 2% of GDP going forward.  Even Switzerland has moved against Russia in financial matters.

There are certainly Russian Oligarchs and Political leaders who are quietly discussing the possibility of removing Putin from power.

We've also learned for sure that China is our enemy: it continues to blame the USA for the Ukrainian situation, refuse to condemn Russia, and told Russia it will not restrict trade with it.  THAT will generate a semi-cold war with China that should benefit jobs in America at China's expense.

If Russia overtakes and installs a puppet government in Ukraine, that situation won't last for very long and there will be constant tension between the West and Russia until Ukraine leaves the Russian orbit.

American Generals on CNN and MSNBC said they don't take Putin's nuclear alert seriously: except for air delivered nukes, the USA and Russia are ALWAYS on nuclear alert. They say Russia's generals would not let Putin launch nuclear weapons.  This is NOT like the Cuban Missile Crisis. - that was a real US - Soviet faceoff over our naval blockade.

I'm watching Biden's State of the Union address.  He's talk about spending money we don't have for various things, but when he talks about support for Ukraine and "buy American goods" and "made in American goods" he's getting good applause from both sides of the aisle and that's a good sign.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

There have been some good things going on.  The need for NATO is no longer being debated and it's united more than at any time since the last cold war.  Germany has increased its defense spending and says it will now be above 2% of GDP going forward.  Even Switzerland has moved against Russia in financial matters.

There are certainly Russian Oligarchs and Political leaders who are quietly discussing the possibility of removing Putin from power.

We've also learned for sure that China is our enemy: it continues to blame the USA for the Ukrainian situation, refuse to condemn Russia, and told Russia it will not restrict trade with it.  THAT will generate a semi-cold war with China that should benefit jobs in America at China's expense.

If Russia overtakes and installs a puppet government in Ukraine, that situation won't last for very long and there will be constant tension between the West and Russia until Ukraine leaves the Russian orbit.

American Generals on CNN and MSNBC said they don't take Putin's nuclear alert seriously: except for air delivered nukes, the USA and Russia are ALWAYS on nuclear alert. They say Russia's generals would not let Putin launch nuclear weapons.  This is NOT like the Cuban Missile Crisis. - that was a real US - Soviet faceoff over our naval blockade.

I'm watching Biden's State of the Union address.  He's talk about spending money we don't have for various things, but when he talks about support for Ukraine and "buy American goods" and "made in American goods" he's getting good applause from both sides of the aisle and that's a good sign.

What does Fox News say?

40 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

"buy American goods"

Good luck with that...  there is sooooo much stuff NOT made in the US.  Check the labels or box before you buy.  If you buy online do some research before you click 'Add to Cart'.  

My very old floor jack died last year.  I found that many (nearly all) of the US companies moved their manufacturing outside of the US.   There are a few made in the US.  Many have low customer ratings, and of course high prices.  If the ratings were better, I'd buy one.  I gave up.. I still don't have a floor jack.  That's blasphemy for a guy who made money to pay for college working on cars.

Shopping for clothing, shoes, small kitchen appliances, ________ (fill in the blank)   like I said good luck with that.  

Need to buy a car anytime soon?  Yeah...  MSRP is cheap now.  So much for chips not made here.

22 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Good luck with that...  there is sooooo much stuff NOT made in the US.  Check the labels or box before you buy.  If you buy online do some research before you click 'Add to Cart'.  

My very old floor jack died last year.  I found that many (nearly all) of the US companies moved their manufacturing outside of the US.   There are a few made in the US.  Many have low customer ratings, and of course high prices.  If the ratings were better, I'd buy one.  I gave up.. I still don't have a floor jack.  That's blasphemy for a guy who made money to pay for college working on cars.

Shopping for clothing, shoes, small kitchen appliances, ________ (fill in the blank)   like I said good luck with that.  

Need to buy a car anytime soon?  Yeah...  MSRP is cheap now.  So much for chips not made here.

...can't you just rework the hydraulics on it ? I mean, you're a car guy, right ?:)

20 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

can't you just rework the hydraulics on it ?

I'm sure it's a bad seal inside the jack.  Finding the correct part(s)... that would be the difficult thing to do.  

The last thing I used it for was to lift my JD tractor to remove a front wheel.  The tire was old and started to separate. 

25 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I'm sure it's a bad seal inside the jack.  Finding the correct part(s)... that would be the difficult thing to do.  

The last thing I used it for was to lift my JD tractor to remove a front wheel.  The tire was old and started to separate. 

...I bought mine from Sears, back when they were still Sears, and had a good reputation for carrying replacement parts. just for that reason.  So much for planning.:D

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I also don't know shit about fuck, but I see it as being riskier to not bomb the living crap out of a concentrated single column of enemy troops and equipment.  If they are on the road, why not mine the road?  Why not strafe the convoy?  Why not drone-bomb the convoy?  Why not start attacking at the front to slow progress and at the back to cut off retreat?  Aren't there any bombers or fighters that can at least partially evade Russian countermeasures?  I understand that they are out-equipped by the Russians, but Shirley they must have some capability, right?.

Thank you.

9 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Good point.

11 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I also don't know shit about fuck, but I see it as being riskier to not bomb the living crap out of a concentrated single column of enemy troops and equipment.  If they are on the road, why not mine the road?  Why not strafe the convoy?  Why not drone-bomb the convoy?  Why not start attacking at the front to slow progress and at the back to cut off retreat?  Aren't there any bombers or fighters that can at least partially evade Russian countermeasures?  I understand that they are out-equipped by the Russians, but Shirley they must have some capability, right?

Assuming that there are terrain features in parts of the road there that would prevent simply going off the road (hills, mountains (I am not familiar with Ukrainian topology) bogs, mud, etc), then it makes sense to shoot at a concentrated mass with possibly limited side-to-side movement capabilities.  Make it hard, not easy, for them to roll in as a group.  Disrupt, cause chaos and mayhem, make the Russians fight for every inch, that sounds like a reasonable strategy to follow, I would think.  I realize that it is a bit more aggressive, but just a couple of bombers or missile or rocket equipped fighters or an A10 substitute or two would cause a lot of consternation in a convoy like that.

Edit: Ok, I am reading about Russia's advanced long range anti-aircraft missiles and other systems, and can see that the Ukrainians would have a tough time not getting shot the hell up and down with the old-school fighter/bombers they have.   Making war and not love is tricky business, it seems.

The remaining Ukraine Air Force has been moved out of country and neighbouring countries are giving a variety of aircraft to Ukraine.  Once trained and equipped, they will see action but right now, the ground to air defence is too heavily in favour of Russia.  Ukraine can't afford to lose aircraft right now.   It would be a great time for Canada to send F-18's over but training would delay the process. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The remaining Ukraine Air Force has been moved out of country and neighbouring countries are giving a variety of aircraft to Ukraine.  Once trained and equipped, they will see action but right now, the ground to air defence is too heavily in favour of Russia.  Ukraine can't afford to lose aircraft right now.   It would be a great time for Canada to send F-18's over but training would delay the process. 

Poland was giving Russian jets (what the Ukranians are already trained for) to pilots who went there to get them but as of today that have reneged on that deal and called it off.

12 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Poland was giving Russian jets (what the Ukranians are already trained for) to pilots who went there to get them but as of today that have reneged on that deal and called it off.

The only constant in war is change, I guess.  Must have been their MiG29's.  It may have been their ready status.  

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

The only constant in war is change, I guess.  Must have been their MiG29's.  It may have been their ready status.  

I think it was some SU something or others, I don't know these things.  But it was supposed to be planes the Ukranians already knew how to fly.

C'mon, Poland, this could be a game changer!

Also hearing the convoy stall might be the Russian's doing.  Many of the troops, especially younger ones, didn't think they would actually have to invade.  They're finding out it's not a game.  And they are punching holes in the convoy's gas tanks.  They are also running out of food.  That could make them walk away.

Saw a dash cam video last night, a Ukranian pulled up next to a stopped Russian tank and asked what's the problem.  Tank driver says "out of gas".  Ukranian answers "Can I tow you back to Russia?"

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1