Proof

Parsnip Totin Jack

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I do wonder - and you, @Dirtyhip or @Old No. 7 might know - is it proofing or proving, a proving drawer or proofing drawer?  Or both?

For dough it is proofing; proving is acceptable. Placing the dough in an ideal environment to encourage yeast growth and expansion as sugars are consumed and carbon dioxide is released. 

• Thank You 1

3 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

For dough it is proofing; proving is acceptable. Placing the dough in an ideal environment to encourage yeast growth and expansion as sugars are consumed and carbon dioxide is released. 

Like, for "proof reading", I think "proofing a draft" would make sense.  For bread, the goal is to "prove" that it can and does rise? Or is there a different rationale for it? Does "proof" in baking mean something more akin to "rise", or grow or rest or the like?

I am always amazed when watching the British Bake Off how different the bakers approach the proofing process.  Some seem to know what they are doing, others just wing it, and Paul (the judge) is often calling out too little or too much proofing.

3 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Yep, both.  I have a recipe card from my great grandfathers bakery that says proving.  He was a Scot so maybe that had an influence? 

• Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1