It is sad, humbling and even a bit embarrassing

Road Runner

6 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

So yesterday, I was obsessing over the usual daily crap and worrying about all the other possible crap.   :angry::(

But then I thought about what the poor people of Ukraine are presently going through.  Total loss of their homes and way of life, families separated and/or destroyed, fleeing to strange countries with no inkling of what their future will be, death and destruction, etc.  I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to be in their shoes today.  

Sadly you can apply this logic to the past 100 years, and the next 100 years. :(  This is nothing new, and sadly, will not be anything we stop seeing in any of our lifetimes.

8 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

So yesterday, I was obsessing over my usual daily type crap and worrying about all the other possible future crap.   :angry::(

But then I thought about what the poor people of Ukraine are presently going through.  Total loss of their homes and way of life, families separated and/or destroyed, fleeing to strange countries with no inkling of what their future will be, death and destruction, etc.  I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to be in their shoes today.  

I've thought that a few time the last couple of days. "Why am I complaining..."

• Heart 2

We in North America are most fortunate to be an ocean away from all that stuff - you are right, the Ukrainian people are going through true hell right now, a hundred times worse than anything I've ever had to endure.  

For nearly 17 years we have made a wonderful home and raised two amazing kids here - it's basically the only home our kids have ever known.  What if we had to leave in a panic tomorrow, only grabbing a few essentials, not knowing if we could ever return, or what we would return to?  Lives documented in digital photos we'd probably never see again.  Would a career's worth of investments and retirement savings, all in some electronic account somewhere, be lost?  Standing in freezing temperatures for 24+ hours at the Polish border trying to escape?  Would we then have to escape from Poland later this year?

I make no bones about it - I have been very fortunate in my life; I've had a few breaks go my way and overall my life has been pretty easy - I'm incredibly thankful for that, and to all the people who've helped me along the way.  That said, I really don't know how I could handle a transition to the kind of scenario I described above.  It would be soul-crushing.

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

We in North America are most fortunate to be an ocean away from all that stuff - you are right, the Ukrainian people are going through true hell right now, a hundred times worse than anything I've ever had to endure.  

For nearly 17 years we have made a wonderful home and raised two amazing kids here - it's basically the only home our kids have ever known.  What if we had to leave in a panic tomorrow, only grabbing a few essentials, not knowing if we could ever return, or what we would return to?  Lives documented in digital photos we'd probably never see again.  Would a career's worth of investments and retirement savings, all in some electronic account somewhere, be lost?  Standing in freezing temperatures for 24+ hours at the Polish border trying to escape?  Would we then have to escape from Poland later this year?

I make no bones about it - I have been very fortunate in my life; I've had a few breaks go my way and overall my life has been pretty easy - I'm incredibly thankful for that, and to all the people who've helped me along the way.  That said, I really don't know how I could handle a transition to the kind of scenario I described above.  It would be soul-crushing.

well stated

• Heart 2

59 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

I was talking about this with a friend yesterday. I asked him what would you do if you had 30 minutes to grab what you can carry, get into the back of a truck with no idea on where you are going for what might be the rest of your life. 

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, BR46 said:

I was talking about this with a friend yesterday. I asked him what would you do if you had 30 minutes to grab what you can carry, get into the back of a truck with no idea on where you are going for what might be the rest of your life. 

We won't be invaded. But a civil war? Yeah, you might want to think what value a "US dollar" has when there is an internationally illegitimate gov't in place in the heart of the Democratic West.  Euros start to look like a good investment.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, BR46 said:

Not to mention leaving your husband, father, sons behind to fight.

No doubt, my children will live in a far less comfortable world.

Saw an interview with Fiona Hill.  She says, based on history and how these unfold, we actually are in WWIII already, we just don't know it or can't admit it.  But we're making the same mistakes that fed Hitler.  Mostly mistakes of not wanting to make sacrifices until war ends up on our doorstep.  In this age of hypersonic nukes, and a madman on the trigger. that could be any minute now

• Heart 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, 12string said:

Saw an interview with Fiona Hill.  She says, based on history and how these unfold, we actually are in WWIII already, we just don't know it or can't admit it. 

WWIII or Cold War II?  The latter may be where we are headed more than the former.

19 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

WWIII or Cold War II?  The latter may be where we are headed more than the former.

WWIII.  We're there now.  Think about it - it doesn't have to be troops all over Europe.  It's most of the world against Russia with China and India just watching for now

CWII comes later.