Finding out a friend retired while reading Ukraine war updates on Fox News

Kzoo

2 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

https://www.foxnews.com/world/ukraine-russia-weather-may-advantage

Retired Maj. Gen. David P. San Clemente: 'If weather is terrible that really does work for the most part to the defender’s advantage'

Retired Major General David San Clemente is known as Dave.  Before he was transferred to Florida we went to church together and his daughter boarded a horse at our little farm.

Dave was the commander of the A-10 ANG locally Fort Custer in Battle Creek.  While his family lived here he was assigned as part of the command structure that implemented and executed the 2 no fly zones over Iraq.  Most of those enforcing the no-fly zones were his pilots from Battle Creek.  Some time after that he commanded the no-fly zone we implemented over Libya in response to Gaddafi.

I found out from reading this that he's how retired and mucking it up with reporters that want to know stuff.

I have read a lot of books by Dale Brown that mention Battle Creek.  I also had a good friend from high school who flew A-10s.  Died in a training accident in his plane.

• Hugs 1

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Could sure use some A10 ground cover in Ukraine right now.  Sometimes NATO is a curse. 

A few of those with their gatling  guns could do some work on the 40 mile convoy of armor moving in.  Just how long would it take?

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

A few of those with their gatling  guns could do some work on the 40 mile convoy of armor moving in.  Just how long would it take?

Reference the Highway of Death in Iraq at the end of Desert Storm.  Many believe this is why we ended the attacks because people were sick of the killing.  This was part of the Iraqi army running for home.

Highway of Death, Iraq - Five most dangerous roads of the world | The  Economic Times

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Reference the Highway of Death in Iraq at the end of Desert Storm.  Many believe this is why we ended the attacks because people were sick of the killing.  This was part of the Iraqi army running for home.

Highway of Death, Iraq - Five most dangerous roads of the world | The  Economic Times

This was my first thought when I saw that column on Russian armor.  Lined up like ducks.  But I think in Russia's case they probably have some air cover available otherwise it would have already happened.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

This was my first thought when I saw that column on Russian armor.  Lined up like ducks.  But I think in Russia's case they probably have some air cover available otherwise it would have already happened.

There are few aircraft to attack it.  NATO won't and Ukraine can't.  This is turning into an insurgent war fought with RPG's and snipers soon.  The US would probably use smart pigs (JSOW) from a distance on this sort of cluster target.

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Wasn't that the result of a cluster bomb attack? Explode a couple hundred feet up and spray walls of shrapnel.

38 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Wasn't that the result of a cluster bomb attack? Explode a couple hundred feet up and spray walls of shrapnel.

It was the result of bombing and strafing and anything else the air force could drop.  It was assumed to be a bonified massacre but later reports stated that few bodies were actually there and it looked like the Iraqi soldiers simply abandoned their vehicles and ran away from the road.

8 hours ago, Kzoo said:

It makes me wonder what the heck is really going on.  Apparently their airforce isn't doing so well.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/what-happened-russias-air-force-us-officials-experts-stumped-2022-03-01/