Jump to content

NHL Players and the Ukraine Invasion


Razors Edge
 Share

Recommended Posts



37 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Just freeze his funds and assets.  He is essentially an Oligarch. 

At the least, the US and Canada and others ought to be reviewing Visas for the various visitors and business people from Russia right now, and it seems an easy deportation to perform.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Should Putin-apologists like Alexander Ovechkin be temporarily placed on the bench or suspended?

I don’t think so. The financial sanctions placed on Russia and individuals within Russia supporting Putin are designed to 1) hurt the Russian economy directly and 2) put domestic pressure on Putin.  

I don’t see how suspending Russian born players living in the United States or Canada would contribute to either of those goals. Even if they are still Putin-idolizing (which Ovechkin took a step back from when asked last week), unless there is evidence of them funneling their income back to the Russian government, I can’t see it being justified. It would also seem a violation of our concept of free speech. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Just freeze his funds and assets.  He is essentially an Oligarch. 

To be an Oligarch, one has to not only have money, but be a part of the inner circle of advisers to Putin.  For a hockey player to reach this level of intelligence, he would need far more concussions than Ovie has so far.

As for punishment for a Putin supporter like Ovie, this is one time I would approve of Tom Wilson's antics.  Just one problem there.......

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 12string said:

To be an Oligarch, one has to not only have money, but be a part of the inner circle of advisers to Putin.  For a hockey player to reach this level of intelligence, he would need far more concussions than Ovie has so far.

As for punishment for a Putin supporter like Ovie, this is one time I would approve of Tom Wilson's antics.  Just one problem there.......

You actually don't have to be part of the inner circle, you just have to be a financial influencer.  My former boss is hiding his assets as we speak for fear of repercussions from his funding of Russia.  Of course, his father was also KGB so he does still have the ear of some.  He was a buddy of Yeltsin's kid. He has met Putin but is not close. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I didn’t realize (but probably should have), but the “Team Putin” was a double edged sword. Not only did Ovechkin voice support of Putin during the Crimea invasion, but the Russian propaganda machine was prepared to take any backlash against Ovie and promote it at home as Western Anti-Russian sentiment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/2/2022 at 1:40 PM, Prophet Zacharia said:

I don’t think so. The financial sanctions placed on Russia and individuals within Russia supporting Putin are designed to 1) hurt the Russian economy directly and 2) put domestic pressure on Putin.  

I don’t see how suspending Russian born players living in the United States or Canada would contribute to either of those goals. Even if they are still Putin-idolizing (which Ovechkin took a step back from when asked last week), unless there is evidence of them funneling their income back to the Russian government, I can’t see it being justified. It would also seem a violation of our concept of free speech. 

I agree with this!  Good post PZ!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...