Hey MoseySue!

Razors Edge

So, @MoseySusan, what do we call it when we add or change a verb during conjugation?  We add an "s" to the he/she/it in the examples below, but normally, for Wordle, I would say (like adding an "s") that PLURALS are not likely answers, but it's not a plural.  In Wordle, is it more that the root verb is used only, and not any derivative from conjugation?  And tilt and list are "regular verbs", but what about irregular ones? 

I tilt 

You (singular) tilt

He/she/it tilts

We tilt

You (plural) tilt

They tilt

...or...

I list 

You (singular) list

He/she/it lists

We list

You (plural) list

They list

Verbs have forms used to communicate tense (time the action takes place).  Changes in spelling create the different forms. Your conjugation above is in the simple present tense, and we change from the base form to the  -s form with a singular subject in the simple present tense.

I call it “change the form” when adding an -s or an -en. If there’s a specific word for that, I don’t use it. EDIT: Those changes are called inflections, but I’ve not heard anyone say “let’s inflect this verb”. 
None of my professors used it, not even “Mr. Oxford”, who made a point of telling us every time we met that he graduated from Oxford. I think he felt insecure that his Oxford education got him all the way to a position in the English department at University of Southern Colorado. Like we were supposed to feel blessed that he was slumming it in Pueblo. 

• Thank You 1

8 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

@Razors Edge conjugated a regular verb in the simple present tense. It's huge fun to conjugate a list of irregular English verbs in 12 tenses!

"The whole secret of life is to be interested in one thing profoundly and in a thousand things well."