I have become something I did not think I would become

jsharr

2 hours ago, jsharrwick said:

My name is Jeff and I am a coffee snob.

*wait for 12 step group to say "Weclcome, Jeff"

I did not drink coffee as a young man and when I did start, I drank Folgers or Dunkin Donuts or whatever.  Added half and half and sugar.  If on the road, I would stop at 7 Eleven or some such for coffee and seldom if ever went to a coffee house or a Starbucks.  I slowly became hooked on coffee and when I started camping with the Scouts, I was often the first one up so that I could have hot coffee waiting for the adults and I could get my fix.  But it was always just average grocery store ground coffee

Then one day, I see a guy on our neighborhood facebook page who was roasting and selling beans.  I gave some a try.  I liked them.  I liked them A LOT.  Now almost all I drink is coffee made from beans roasted by Roasted by Brandon.  I even asked Santa for a nice burr grinder so I can grind my own beans each day instead of buying ground coffee.

And then recently, as you know, the lifted skirt and the perfumed inner thigh of the "flat white" caught my eye and I was lured into the goodness that this frothy milk maid offered up.

Fast forward to today.   I get to the office and I want another cup of coffee, but I do not feel like going downstairs, so I fire up the drip coffee maker in the break room and brew a pot of coffee using a bag of Amazon Breakfast Blend or some such and it tastes like I am drinking hot parts cleaner or something, but definitely not what I have become used to.

My name is Jeff  and I am a coffee snob.

I would visit a cousin in NJ for several days each year and she and her husband had a burr grinder.  I liked the coffee a lot.  Since then, I've had one.  It's a cheap Mr. Coffee Burr Grinder but you can set it for drip, percolate, espresso and how many tablespoons you want it to grind. It holds 8 ounces of beans.  I rotate between several very good coffees that work great with a drip machine: Lavazza Espresso Italiano, Peet's Major Dickason's Blend and Mocca-Java Blend, and the Mayorga coffees sold at Costco.

Just now, jsharrwick said:

me too, and then a second cup after that, and then my travel mug for the drive to work.

I have a Yeti mug. I made a cup of coffee, put it in the Yeti, left it at home, and skied all day. When I got home 8 hours later, it was still warm, not hot, but warm enough to drink.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, denniS said:

I have a Yeti mug. I made a cup of coffee, put it in the Yeti, left it at home, and skied all day. When I got home 8 hours later, it was still warm, not hot, but warm enough to drink.

I carry a Contigo and it too will keep my drugs warm for hours.

8 hours ago, jsharrwick said:

My name is Jeff and I am a coffee snob.

*wait for 12 step group to say "Weclcome, Jeff"

I did not drink coffee as a young man and when I did start, I drank Folgers or Dunkin Donuts or whatever.  Added half and half and sugar.  If on the road, I would stop at 7 Eleven or some such for coffee and seldom if ever went to a coffee house or a Starbucks.  I slowly became hooked on coffee and when I started camping with the Scouts, I was often the first one up so that I could have hot coffee waiting for the adults and I could get my fix.  But it was always just average grocery store ground coffee

Then one day, I see a guy on our neighborhood facebook page who was roasting and selling beans.  I gave some a try.  I liked them.  I liked them A LOT.  Now almost all I drink is coffee made from beans roasted by Roasted by Brandon.  I even asked Santa for a nice burr grinder so I can grind my own beans each day instead of buying ground coffee.

And then recently, as you know, the lifted skirt and the perfumed inner thigh of the "flat white" caught my eye and I was lured into the goodness that this frothy milk maid offered up.

Fast forward to today.   I get to the office and I want another cup of coffee, but I do not feel like going downstairs, so I fire up the drip coffee maker in the break room and brew a pot of coffee using a bag of Amazon Breakfast Blend or some such and it tastes like I am drinking hot parts cleaner or something, but definitely not what I have become used to.

My name is Jeff  and I am a coffee snob.

Welcome.  This is a safe place to be.

• Heart 1

My parents were Folgers in a percolator people. I didn’t care for coffee growing up. About age 40, WoW started getting mochas from Starbucks. I tried and liked it and started from there. It was hot chocolates with an attitude for a long time. Eventually I started weaning into more straight coffee flavors. 
The cupping at Zabuni 2 years ago was a big moment. The first brews I liked to drink without additives. Askofu roast is a favorite. 
When we moved here, there was no basement. I made a cover for the chest freezer and turned it into a coffee bar! @MoseySusanhas a great coffee bar with a sink, but ours works for us!

45C27F1D-B6A3-4F60-ADF9-80C1E9A421DE.jpeg

15 hours ago, jsharrwick said:

I slowly became hooked on coffee and when I started camping with the Scouts, I was often the first one up so that I could have hot coffee waiting for the adults and I could get my fix.  But it was always just average grocery store ground coffee

I think this is how it all started with me.  Occasional cup here or there but it was the backpacking/camping trips that got me hooked. Up in the mountains 6 hours from the car and another 2 by car to the nearest services -- that instant crap hit the spot. I moved on from there.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Dottles said:

I think this is how it all started with me.  Occasional cup here or there but it was the backpacking/camping trips that got me hooked. Up in the mountains 6 hours from the car and another 2 by car to the nearest services -- that instant crap hit the spot. I moved on from there.

Yep - for me it was vacation.  We'd be on vacation, and the hotels offer coffee in the morning, and my wife would get coffee for us.  She would hit it heavy with cream and sugar, so it was delicious.  I was hooked. Luckily, over time I realized that if coffee needs sugar to be "good", it is coffee I don't want (looking at you Starbucks!).  

But camping, coffee is a HUGE incentive to get out of the sleeping bag and tent and into the brisk temps outside.  Light the stove, get the water boiling, take a leak, and then have some warm hot Joe!

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep - for me it was vacation.  We'd be on vacation, and the hotels offer coffee in the morning, and my wife would get coffee for us.  She would hit it heavy with cream and sugar, so it was delicious.  I was hooked. Luckily, over time I realized that if coffee needs sugar to be "good", it is coffee I don't want (looking at you Starbucks!).  

But camping, coffee is a HUGE incentive to get out of the sleeping bag and tent and into the brisk temps outside.  Light the stove, get the water boiling, take a leak, and then have some warm hot Joe!

What kind of sick monster are you!?

Everyone knows you start every morning, camping or not, with a leak!  sheesh.