Masks

Road Runner

So I went to BJ's to get some crap today and was a bit surprised to see that about 95% of the people there, employees and customers, were wearing masks.  Especially so after the recent CDC guidance on masks and after watching last night's State of the Union Address, where no one was wearing a mask.   :huh:  :scratchhead:

12 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Now that they are not mandated, everyone will wear them

Now that you mention it, it did seem like more people were wearing them today than a month ago, when they were asking everyone to wear them.  :o

People are weird.  

• Heart 1

We recently made mask wear optional at work and very few are wearing them.   I’d say 30% are wearing them in indoor public places but mask mandates have been lifted.  

Our numbers are down to pre Omicron surge levels for the past few weeks. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We recently made mask wear optional at work and very few are wearing them.   I’d say 30% are wearing them in indoor public places but mask mandates have been lifted.  

Our numbers are down to pre Omicron surge levels for the past few weeks. 

Whatever happened to that dumb chick who got covid and was determined to give it to as many people as possible, including you?

Just now, Randomguy said:

Whatever happened to that dumb chick who got covid and was determined to give it to as many people as possible, including you?

Back to work… Not sure what if any HR action was taken but she didn’t lose her job.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

So I went to BJ's to get some crap today and was a bit surprised to see that about 95% of the people there, employees and customers, were wearing masks.  Especially so after the recent CDC guidance on masks and after watching last night's State of the Union Address, where no one was wearing a mask.   :huh:  :scratchhead:

There haven't been masks required in indoor public places in my county for a few weeks, but it's been rare to see people without masks until the last week.  Yesterday, at least 1/4 of the people were not wearing masks, including half of the checkout cashiers.  I'm sure there are a lot of cases of bringing hands to the mouth or nose and then touching objects in the store.  Whether or not that, plus aerosols from sneezing and coughing in the air, make any difference remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, I'll keep wearing mine inside stores - but it's nice to know I can drop it if it bothers me - it did bother me a little when I wore it in the supermarket yesterday right after a long walk into a 30 mph wind.

It's rare to see them on people here, and when you do, they are worn incorrectly.  We are supposed to wear them ay my workplace.  Many wear them on their chin or under their nose.  Doughbags!

I am liking my private office now.  :D They can wear them around their ankles for all I care.  I can eat and drink water easily now.  My window is fairly distracting.

• Hugs 1

It generally takes 30 takes to create a new habit.  People have formed the habit of wearing masks - had it ingrained for (24) 30-day periods over the past two years - and had that established habit reinforced even further by mandates.

Habits that well established will be difficult for some people to break, if they do at all.

I suspect masks will never entirely disappear to where society looks like it did pre-covid.

Want to wear a mask?  Fine.  Don't want to wear a mask?  Fine.  Some people wear sneakers, some wear sandals, some go barefoot.  Whatever.  Do what's right for you.

13 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

It generally takes 30 takes to create a new habit.  People have formed the habit of wearing masks - had it ingrained for (24) 30-day periods over the past two years - and had that established habit reinforced even further by mandates.

Habits that well established will be difficult for some people to break, if they do at all.

I suspect masks will never entirely disappear to where society looks like it did pre-covid.

Want to wear a mask?  Fine.  Don't want to wear a mask?  Fine.  Some people wear sneakers, some wear sandals, some go barefoot.  Whatever.  Do what's right for you.

I'm hoping we learned to do like most of the world and mask up during flu season if we're not feeling well.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Now that they are not mandated, everyone will wear them.  They should have kept telling people not to wear them.  :) 

Today was our first mask optional day for staff. We also had a non-drill fire event. Outside as the assistant incident commander I noticed about half the staff still masked.  It was fun to not be in charge.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Now that they are not mandated, everyone will wear them.  They should have kept telling people not to wear them.  :) 

Don't want to turn this into political but Gov Desantis belittled high school students who elected to wear them as they shared the podium with him today. He was doing a rha rha school science grant announcement and they ruined his photo op by wearing masks.:D

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I suppose it's too late to ask for people to do what's right for me?

Somehow, that concept seems to have done a flip flop since masks became an issue instead of a preventive.

Yes it has.  As I have said all along though, you have the right to look after yourself.  If that means limiting social events, so be it.  Even my 86 year old mother has gone from wanting to be protected by mandate to looking after her own best interest.  Now, I just hope protection is given to workers who would rather work from home or wear masks, etc. 

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Yes it has.  As I have said all along though, you have the right to look after yourself.  If that means limiting social events, so be it.  Even my 86 year old mother has gone from wanting to be protected by mandate to looking after her own best interest.  Now, I just hope protection is given to workers who would rather work from home or wear masks, etc. 

You can limit all the social events you want to but eventually we have to take a risk with the anti social and intellectually inept.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

The time is here and now for that.  Mandates are winding down all over the world. 

Yep.  People forget what happened the last times we had this virus beat.  The noisy one's get their way again.  I remember last summer before delta and before Omicron when I said that it was too early to back down.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

You can limit all the social events you want to but eventually we have to take a risk with the anti social and intellectually inept.

It's always been this way.

Ride the subway, take the risk of a looney shoving you on the tracks.  Go for a walk, take the risk of getting mowed down by a drunk driver.  And etc.

Society has always had, and will ever have, the anti social and intellectually inept.  And since a person who is anti social and intellectually inept is very unlikely to look out for anyone else, it's incumbent on people who (believe they) are not one of the anti social and intellectually inept to look out for themselves by assessing the risks and which ones they are willing - and unwilling - to take.

5 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Ride the subway, take the risk of a looney shoving you on the tracks.  Go for a walk, take the risk of getting mowed down by a drunk driver.  And etc.

Society has always had, and will ever have, the anti social and intellectually inept.  And since a person who is anti social and intellectually inept is very unlikely to look out for anyone else, it's incumbent on people who (believe they) are not one of the anti social and intellectually inept to look out for themselves by assessing the risks and which ones they are willing - and unwilling - to take.

I can't think of any time in our history that this has been true to the extent it is today. 

Frankly I blame the "the old and feeble will die anyway, who cares" mentality of pandemic thinking.  As a country, we used to take care of each other instead of the current "I've got mine, you worry about yourself".

• Heart 2

6 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I can't think of any time in our history that this has been true to the extent it is today. 

Frankly I blame the "the old and feeble will die anyway, who cares" mentality of pandemic thinking.  As a country, we used to take care of each other instead of the current "I've got mine, you worry about yourself".

I care, Max.  I care about you and for the children's future here on earth.

13 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Sadly, we tried it with mask requirements and vaccination mandates.  Since there was no prison time or even fines tied to it, it didn't have much in the way of teeth.  With murder, we recognize folks will do it, we criminalize it, and we punish it.  Seemingly, we stopped too short.

14 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Having a mentally ill person shoving someone on the tracks or getting hit by a drunk driver is in no way similar to folks not wearing masks during the height of the pandemic.  At all.   

Yes, society will have selfish dolts who look only to their own wishes, and while it is true that you do have to take precautions yourself, at some point you will have to go in public to get groceries or gas or somesuch, and you have to mix with intellectually inept and antisocial people who don't care about you at all and who took exactly zero precautions. 

So why should all the risk and responsibility be taken on by those already exercising reasonable precautions?   Yeah, I know, stupid people won't comply and all, but that is exactly the reason for my post #30 that says " The mandates were there to help protect us from people who refuse decency when given the option".    We have laws for folks that drink and drive and enforcement for criminal acts.  Since we didn't act appropriately or strongly or even have a strategy on a national level initially, we have had a ton of unnecessary deaths and chronic issues from covid.  This is gonna be spread around forever, at least it seems that way, but the unnecessary deaths, hospitalizations, and chronic conditions continue due to ignorance and selfishness.  Thanks, idiots.  What we have now is because we gave in to the stupid people, because it was easier to be stupid and obstinate than to think a little and defer to real expertise, logic, and common sense.

30 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Ain't nobody round these parts wearing masks.  I guess we ain't decent people. 

4 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Yesterday I didn’t wear a mask at the gym or in the grocery store. 

I think masks are part of the past (for now at least).  All the local stuff I get is about masks not being a requirement anywhere anymore near me.  A year ago? Or during a delta or omicron spike? Yeah, masks were warranted and "decent" in many situations. Now we're slowly entering that "75% of folks are vaxxed and god knows how many have recently had omicron" period of lower worry of mass infection and resultant avoidable deaths.  In DC, reading news for gov't folks, the stuff I am seeing are DC are is LOW and masks are no longer required in fed buildings and weekly testing for unvaxxed folks working in fed buildings is not required. For private folks, it still depends on the business but we'll end up following the feds.

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think masks are part of the past (for now at least).  All the local stuff I get is about masks not being a requirement anywhere anymore near me.  A year ago? Or during a delta or omicron spike? Yeah, masks were warranted and "decent" in many situations. Now we're slowly entering that "75% of folks are vaxxed and god knows how many have recently had omicron" period of lower worry of mass infection and resultant avoidable deaths.  In DC, reading news for gov't folks, the stuff I am seeing are DC are is LOW and masks are no longer required in fed buildings and weekly testing for unvaxxed folks working in fed buildings is not required. For private folks, it still depends on the business but we'll end up following the feds.

Agreed.  Still have to wear them in stores here, if the owners are decent, that is.  The rules have to be different when you have eight million people living on top of each other.  Many educated folks here, too, and used to having to get along with others in tight quarters, and also far less susceptible to the stupid voices with megaphones than folks in the redneck states.  That said, as cases go down, you see reasonable people starting to loosen up a bit.  I forgot to put a mask on right away twice when going to grocery stores this week, and nobody told me to "put your fucking mask on", which would have been the proper way to say it a month ago.  Yes, I put it on anyway once I realized I hadn't yet, I am not an asshole (not in that way, anyway).  Unless we have a new variant kick in, I think it will be another couple months before masks are abandoned completely here.

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

I guess we ain't decent people. 

You get tons more dipshits the further from the Paris of Ohio that you get, this has been scientifically proven.  If you do find a smart or decent person in MI, KY, IN, or IA, for instance, you would say "The Cleveland is strong in this one".

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Agreed.  Still have to wear them in stores here, if the owners are decent, that is.  The rules have to be different when you have eight million people living on top of each other.  Many educated folks here, too, and used to having to get along with others in tight quarters, and also far less susceptible to the stupid voices with megaphones than folks in the redneck states.  That said, as cases go down, you see reasonable people starting to loosen up a bit.  I forgot to put a mask on right away twice when going to grocery stores, and nobody told me to "put your fucking mask on", which would have been the proper way to say it a month ago.  Yes, I put it on anyway once I realized I hadn't yet, I am not an asshole (not in that way, anyway).  Unless we have a new variant kick in, I think it will be another couple months before masks are abandoned completely here.

You get tons more dipshits the further from the Paris of Ohio that you get, this has been scientifically proven.  If you do find a smart or decent person in MI, KY, IN, or IA, for instance, you would say "The Cleveland is strong in this one".

Going down is not the same as over.  How many times higher than last summer before delta are we still?

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Going down is not the same as over.  How many times higher than last summer before delta are we still?

Very true.  I will stay away from monster truck and political rallies for a while still.  No damn theatres, either, I don't need to hear loud buttholes shouting over their popcorn and spraying airborne covid particles 6 rows over towards me.  I will get my covid the old fashioned way, from an open air fish market in Wuhan.

It will be interesting to see all the 'muh freedumbs' idiots go on social media and say "Huh, I guess I was wrong, I guess my freedumbs weren't permanently taken away after all".  Well, maybe not, but in an aware world, they just would have never said all that stupid alarmist stuff anyway.