Offers of help, your in-person care circle

shootingstar

• 1 close friend if I really needed groceries, etc., I could ask and she would do it. She is single, uses her car and not tied to other responsibilities (ie. children). She is also someone I could trust to check on home if am away.  She has does home-sitting for other friends.  She has a local 85 yr. mother who she shares with siblings, responsibilities to getting groceries/stuff and checking on her. None of them live in mother's house.
  • 1 acquaintance on condo board who we've known for past decade, to trust on  stuff on home if in emergency

But that's all. Other folks are living in other provinces. They talk/send me emails of care.

I was amazed another employee-colleague is more an acquaintance, offered to drop by an extra free testing kit or groceries, if I needed. She has disabled hubby with some mobility limits. Plus her divorced son and her grandson young child live in same household. So she's busy enough.  She had mild covid about 2 months ago. We've known each other in-person since pre-covid and now for past 8 yrs. She is close to my age.

During covid, she was  dropping by visiting her mother and aunts locally ....all their 90's(!), re groceries.

Who can you rely/trust in your in-person care circle, other than your partner if you have one?

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

4 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Mom, BCC, friends/colleagues.  Back when I was off for 3 months recovering, a couple people I work with said, If I need anything let them know. One person I work with lives 1/2 mile from me, and a few others are w/in a few miles.

I am just a little ways a way if you ever need help!  Have passport, will travel. 

• Thank You 1

My neighbor down the hall..was my surgery transportation and stayed over for the 24 hours after..a church friend who lives near by brought food the evening after my surgery...as well as another couple of church friends...the church folks I have known for almost 30 years..my neighbor..close to 10 years...also one of my coworkers is willing...

Thanks for the reminder...I got some good friends :loveshower:

• Hugs 3

18 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I have lots of adult family and friends nearby.  My bosses wife has offered to drive my wife to medical appointments before.  She was a nurse before becoming wealthy. 

I would have lots more adult folks I trusted, if I still lived in Toronto.

Those folks still live there....I've given some photos of them...here in forum. :) Then more within 100 km. of Toronto....not that I would ever expect any of them, from that far for weekly needs.

15 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I would have lots more adult folks I trusted, if I still lived in Toronto.

Those folks still live there....I've given some photos of them...here in forum. :) Then more within 100 km. of Toronto....not that I would ever expect any of them, from that far for weekly needs.

Ever think about moving back?

53 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Ever think about moving back?

Don't know how this would work. Real estate is very expensive in  TO. I don't want to rent..just risky with possibly many yrs. ahead. I knew someone who owned a home, sold, bought another, this cycle 3 times in her life.  Then she chose to rent in TO for next 15 yrs....towards last 5 yrs. she was running out of money. Her final rental she didn't like at all but she moved  (Casa Loma area) because it was cheaper.  She was in rental in Yonge & St. Clair E.  This is someone who worked all her life, and a small  pension from working at a medical library for 20 yrs., at a large hospital. Of course one can add CPP, OAS, etc.

anyway she died 6 yrs. ago. Actually a good friend, who was my former mentor-manager.

Last year when I was going through heck my youngest son who lives an hour away came to visit me every time I was in the hospital. My brother transported me when I wasn’t allowed to drive. I have a non-Amish neighbor who offered to help and an 88 year old guy from church took me to eye doctor appointments when my brother was not available. If I needed anything all I needed to do was call the church. I did drive myself to town to get groceries a couple times. There are thousands of people with only one eye that drive but they probably have better vision out of their good eye than I did. It was scary but the main road to town has those Braille lines in the center and on the edge of the road. Driving the eight miles to the grocery store convinced me not to try a longer drive.

• Heart 1

One sister lives 30 minutes away and the other lives about an hour. They'd certainly be support for big issues, but I wouldn't expect them to come by daily for things. I have one friend who is in the condo complex but we're not that close that I'd want to start calling her for lots of requests.   I still think favorably of a former boss because when I called to say I was sick, he offered to stop by with juice or anything I might need since he knew I lived alone (and this was before a lot of the delivery services started). 

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I was amazed another employee-colleague is more an acquaintance, offered to drop by an extra free testing kit or groceries, if I needed.

I honestly can say, despite several coworkers having COVID this past year and a half, that I have not offered anything more than my sympathies.  Most (all as far as I know) are married/in relationships, and seemingly can juggle an illness, but it is at least a nice thing to offer - "Do you need anything I can get you?".  In this day and age, I think most folks - with Amazon or Uber or similar - can easily get most things delivered ASAP to their homes, so I don't think the people in my office are too "isolated" from things they need. But, offering help in addition to sympathy will be something I add to my repertoire when hearing someone has come down with COVID or something else.

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, groupw said:

We had a good circle before we moved. We have our daughters down here so far. We are making friends, but none yet I would feel comfortable asking too much. That should come with time. 

what about MoseySue?  Surely you can trust her with everything but your phone.

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

what about MoseySue?  Surely you can trust her with everything but your phone.

MoseySue is great! It’s amazing how you can feel a bond to some people while only spending a little time with them when you can see other people daily and really not know them. That said, the 6 hour drive would be a limitation either direction.