I have blueberries, too many of them

Randomguy

45 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

DH as a young child:

Not at all.  I wasn't allowed to help in the kitchen.  I watched.  My Grandmother was far to controlling.  No one was really allowed to touch her washing machine either.  When I moved out, I didn't know how to do anything. When I say I was self taught, I meant it.   I did watch her butcher birds by the dozens.  I think that is what made me so callous about killing my chickens.

...here is a link to an entire page of blueberry loaf cake recipes.  Many of them use vanilla and lemon as flavorings. All of them look pretty good to the fat guy inside me, screaming to get out. Except for the ones that use icing. When I make a blueberry loaf cake, I use whole wheat pastry flour, and I do not use icing.  The fat guy inside me probably would not care, but he has to share the space.

...I honestly don't understand why you would pay the premium in price to buy fresh blueberries at the store, then freeze them, when you can buy frozen blueberries at the same store. I mean, you can dry them too, but they also sell those at the store in packages, already dried.  The dried ones are pretty good for baking, but not nearly as good as fresh for pancakes.  This is what my fat guy thinks. And he has strong opinions on food and on eating.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I honestly don't understand why you would pay the premium in price to buy fresh blueberries at the store, then freeze them, when you can buy frozen blueberries at the same store.

Ours are handpicked with love by WoKzoo at the U-Pick blueberry farm during the summer.  They are then cleaned with love and gently frozen.  No store are involved.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

You can freeze them as they are - don't wash them first or else dry them well.

According to blueberry.org:

Did you bring home a small truckload of blueberries from the u-pick farm? Find a can’t-miss deal at the supermarket? Freezing fresh blueberries is as simple as the delicious little berries themselves. Just bring them home and pop them into the freezer! You can even use the plastic clamshell container you purchased them in. Ideally, freeze your blueberries as they are and wait to rinse them when you take them out of the freezer.

I typically buy a pint of blueberries and one or two pints of strawberries for cereal and put them in vacuum bags in the fridge and they're good for a month by which time, I'll have used them up.

The blueberries usually do well for at least 2 weeks if I don't do that but the strawberries get fuzzy growths on them within a week if I don't vacuum-bag them.

216016259_C.7daysinvacuumbagpump20200624.jpg.187eab7589f308c1cda79c4ae5c4971d.jpg 1940466392_A.BagsVacuumPump.thumb.jpg.174f8c0326e6970dfeaa7c38f369fc45.jpg

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, smudge said:

They don't keep very well at our house. We eat em right up!!

We do freeze the wild ones we pick at camp. They make excellent pies 

Very few people have access to wild blueberries.  I used to have a coworker that took vacation every year to go to the UP and pick wild blueberries.