Is an "assurance" a "guarantee"?

MickinMD

The USA and UK never agreed to military protection of Ukraine in the 1994 Budapest Agreement despite the word "assurances" in the text. Clearly, Russia has violated the treaty and showed it word to be meaningless.

image.thumb.png.c63a09f6755e07b65c532a35970f6768.png

In 1994, Ukraine had the 3rd largest stockpile of nuclear weapons, almost 5,000, left over from the Soviet Union, and agreed in the Budapest Agreement to give them up in return for "assurances" of its independence from Russia, the UK, and the USA.

A hot, blonde Ukrainian Member of Parliament was on CNN this morning and angrily claimed the USA betrayed its 1994 guarantee of Ukrainian independence by not using military force to help Ukraine.

I found a copy of the 1994 Budapest Agreement online and there's a clause calling for "respect" of Ukraine's independence and borders, but the 4th clause, below, makes it clear that military intervention is NOT what is meant by "respect."

image.png.71090415501f58bb2c6a4cbc160b6e81.png

There is NO guarantee of the USA and UK using military force to save Ukraine, even if there's a nuclear attack on Ukraine:

image.png.28c131bfd020a8fc24c85c2167046169.png

Just now, Wilbur said:

I just saw a Delta flight loading soldiers to fight in Ukraine.  There are 14,000 arriving from US, Canada, GB and other Nato states.  It isn't official action because they are volunteers.  God bless every one of them. 

Yep - saw a Ukrainian tennis player heading back to Ukraine to defend the country.  Dude was pretty solemn, and risking a LOT for a country he no longer lives in.  Sergiy Stakhovsky - a tough mofo.

32 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I just saw a Delta flight loading soldiers to fight in Ukraine.  There are 14,000 arriving from US, Canada, GB and other Nato states.  It isn't official action because they are volunteers.  God bless every one of them. 

Actual active duty troops or more like mercs? 

Clause 4 states the treaty member nations will seek UN Security Council assistance in the event Ukraine (no nuclear weapons) is the object of a nuclear assault. But the Russian Federation (threatening nuclear aggression against Ukraine)  is a permanent member of the UNSC. I can see now why the Russian talking points have been “liberating Ukraine from nazis” and “peacekeeping”. They’re bound by treaty to respond to nuclear aggression as well as respect Ukrainian borders.