Jump to content

They are fluffing up my road.


Longjohn
 Share

Recommended Posts



That’s my friend Amy, married to Chad. She was the triathlete that’s competed twice at the Ironman World Championships in Kona. Took first place female overall at Ironman Mexico. She is a triathlete coach now, has Aurther Rightus in her Knees. She owns and operates Cycle Life Studio. She is not even 50 yet, too young for me and she is in love with Chad. She invited me to join her in Bike For Breakthroughs.

  • Heart 1
  • Awesome 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

That and gravel are all we have around here. Not sure what the others are riding on.

Depending on the weather sometimes I think gravel would be nice or crushed stone even better. Riding on deep loose pebbles is not much fun but neither is deep mud.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

The grader has been out in front of my house all morning. I should go out and supervise. Last time (a couple years ago) they dug a ditch across the end of my driveway.

Is that how often they do that sort of thing?  I feel like the gravel roads near me are too well maintained for it to be just once a year or two.  Is these some interim maintenance they do beyond grading?  

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Airehead said:

You will survive the ride but you may be last. 

DFL, I’ll be surprised if I’m not.

31 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Is that how often they do that sort of thing?  I feel like the gravel roads near me are too well maintained for it to be just once a year or two.  Is these some interim maintenance they do beyond grading?  

They sprinkled some pebbles on it last year but it has been two years since it was graded.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

The grader has been out in front of my house all morning.

Why wouldn't they wait until the frost is gone from the ground?   (our ground is still frozen)   Or will they grade the road again in several weeks?

Most of the roads I ride on are tar and chip.  (the remaining are blacktop)  Usually in July when it HOT they add some chips to the roads.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whelp I walked down to get the mail and it looks like they did a fine job. No wonder they were out there all morning. I should have taken a before picture. Of course my township only has about 2/10ths of a mile. Vernon Twp, Jackson Twp, and Lake Twp, have the rest of the road.

The sun melted all the snow except in the shady places today.

3E3540AA-95AE-4E9F-ACA3-DA331B8BAA4E.jpeg.9b87e4fe27079878dfcc221368148f1a.jpeg

  • Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Whelp I walked down to get the mail and it looks like they did a fine job. No wonder they were out there all morning. I should have taken a before picture. Of course my township only has about 2/10ths of a mile. Vernon Twp, Jackson Twp, and Lake Twp, have the rest of the road.

The sun melted all the snow except in the shady places today.

3E3540AA-95AE-4E9F-ACA3-DA331B8BAA4E.jpeg.9b87e4fe27079878dfcc221368148f1a.jpeg

Wow - will they hit that with something to flatten it more?  My roads seem much smoother than that on most rides.  I wonder if it is different gravel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Wow - will they hit that with something to flatten it more?  My roads seem much smoother than that on most rides.  I wonder if it is different gravel.

They use a lot of 'pit run' here, or gravel of all sizes with sand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

You are biking with an iron person?  Are you crazy?  :D

 

My first ride with Amy was over 16 years ago. She wanted to ride with us to improve her cycling skills before her first Ironman Kentucky.

  • Heart 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Wow - will they hit that with something to flatten it more?  My roads seem much smoother than that on most rides.  I wonder if it is different gravel.

I was impressed with how smooth they got it, they don’t usually get it that smooth. My last crash was on the same road but a different township. They had graded the left side of the road and the right side of the road and left about a six inch high ridge in the middle.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know the gravel rides I see on YouTube don’t look like my roads. About a half mile down the road in Vernon township the road washes out about once a year, sometimes twice. The culverts under the road get clogged and in a heavy rain the water from the fields washes across the road taking the road with it. I almost never walk my bike but I have walked my bike through that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One of the gravel roads I ride was closed all of last November. I decided to go check out why it was closed on my next ride but that’s when all my eye trouble happened. Next week owl try and ride over that way and see if they ever opened it. They might have a bridge out, I don’t know any other reason it would be closed. We have a couple roads they closed and never did reopen them. There are big trees growing right in the middle of the road. One I know the bridge washed out and they decided not to replace it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

@Old No. 7 is smarter than me, so he might have some idea what the gravel is out in Loudoun.  

(Read this in Cliff Clavin’s voice) Well the gravel roads in Loudoun County are made to the time honored craftsmanship of the Colonial Days. Then and now, they start with big rocks that they break down into smaller sizes and then spread those smaller rocks on the travel surface. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

(Read this in Cliff Clavin’s voice) Well the gravel roads in Loudoun County are made to the time honored craftsmanship of the Colonial Days. Then and now, they start with big rocks that they break down into smaller sizes and then spread those smaller rocks on the travel surface. 

Do they still use a chain gang to break up the big rocks into Little Rock’s?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Being a current Leukemia patient, I would think they would have a 'group' finish with him.

Did you tell them that you were a leukemia person?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...