Did We Discuss "Inventing Anna"?

Razors Edge

...on Netflix?  It was a fun series with literally the most annoying "accent" (affect??) since Fran Dresher.  In any case, the Tinder Swindler movie was trending well, and not nearly as interesting as the Anna docudrama, but interesting in some respects.

I bet @Randomguy was crossing paths with Anna at various restaurants, shows, and events up in NYC a few years ago.  

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...on Netflix?  It was a fun series with literally the most annoying "accent" (affect??) since Fran Dresher.

I actually turned it off because of the accent.  I accept that I will go back at some point and see if I can get past that, we'll see.

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I actually turned it off because of the accent.  I accept that I will go back at some point and see if I can get past that, we'll see.

Around episode 4, my wife was like I don't know if I can keep watching this.  :)  I LOVED the accent.  "Muh father" always got me laughing.  I've never heard the real gal speak, though. Is it true to form?  :dontknow:

• Haha 1

Yeah, we watched it. We already had an appreciation of Julia Garner's acting talents from her work on Ozark. The Russian German accent mix was a far cry from her hillbilly accent on Ozark, but if you listen to the real Anna, and you don't have to look too hard to find interviews on YouTube, I think she sort of got it.

• Awesome 1

43 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

From what I hear, she is back at it again, too!

She got out in Feb.  It's only been a month.  

Some of the quotes were gold.  Like, it makes me wonder if I have peasant face.  HAHA

23 minutes ago, 12string said:

I was in the room while it was on last night.  Interesting story, but the accent and acting made me glad that I was busy working on ordering seeds instead of getting caught up in the TV show

In the evening I watch a bit of TV to relax.  Last night was Moving Art nature documentary on flowers.  It is so beautiful to watch.  I can't figure out how to turn off CC.  It is funnny when it reads "Screeching."  :D

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm also of the impression that her ex-BF was as bad or worse than her.  

I found it funny to have the Fyre festival dude in there.  Another grift. Maybe I like the show cause it is the opposite of my life.  I don't steal or cheat.  My life is so utterly simple.  

19 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I tried again Friday night, but just couldn’t, the accent was too annoying.  Three tries is my limit. 

Yep - my mom called me and was saying she was watching it.  She was on ep 3, and when I said there were 9 episodes, her brain exploded.  I don't know she will finish it.

• 3 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

Anna is so bad. It’s just like George Kostanza says… It’s not a lie if you believe it. 

I’m on the final episode. So apparently she is found guilty. While I agree that some of what she did was fraud, some of it was that people believed the image and wanted to be part of her world, without her soliciting their money. So lots of guilty partied, IMO.

• Awesome 1

46 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

So lots of guilty partied, IMO.

Caught up in the illusion. Guilty of enjoying that big life, or of fraud themselves? It seems that shame held a lot of them back from pressing charges for theft. Their reputation in the big money  world was on the line. 

15 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’m on the final episode. So apparently she is found guilty. While I agree that some of what she did was fraud, some of it was that people believed the image and wanted to be part of her world, without her soliciting their money. So lots of guilty partied, IMO.

Yeah, she's WAY down on the list of white collar criminals out there. Certainly can see why she is out now.  I imagine, though, that judge would get dragged through the mud for that sentence, eh?

56 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Hmm, thought I saw a headline saying she was released and deported.  Seems she might still be hanging out with the nice ICE people.

I read she was scheduled to fly back to Germany on March 26, delayed from original date of departure. It’s hard to find a straight story, corroborated by other sources. 

On 3/3/2022 at 4:38 PM, Razors Edge said:

I'm also of the impression that her ex-BF was as bad or worse than her.  

Remind me… Chase was fundraising for his start-up, she convinces him to show up in Ibiza, they overstay their welcome on the yacht. What did he do beyond that? I’ve forgotten why they broke up, too, was it his trying to pin her down on a biographic detail?

9 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Remind me… Chase was fundraising for his start-up, she convinces him to show up in Ibiza, they overstay their welcome on the yacht. What did he do beyond that? I’ve forgotten why they broke up, too, was it his trying to pin her down on a biographic detail?

The Netflix story goes that he spent investor money for his start-up dream app on doing stuff with her, and she threw him under the bus in order to insinuate herself between his mentor Nora and him to become her new protege, and he claimed he was all about helping her to launch the ADF, but was using her to somehow get at her trust fund money, etc. 

• Heart 1

19 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

So lots of guilty partied, IMO.

Ha! So I meant to type lots of guilty parties, but a lot of guilty partied works, too.

18 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Caught up in the illusion. Guilty of enjoying that big life, or of fraud themselves? It seems that shame held a lot of them back from pressing charges for theft. Their reputation in the big money  world was on the line. 

A lot of people didn’t do their due diligence, despite constantly making reference to the process. They so completely bought into her image they they ignore all basic warnings, and feared she’d cut them off if they questioned her at all.

While it’s clearly fraud when she tells people she’ll wire them payment, some of the time people didn’t ask her for payment. I’m trying to remember, but I think the plane charter staff were too afraid to ask for a credit card? Others offered to pay while her money was tight, with the expectation she’d either pay them back or at least start spending on them again in the future, despite her making nothing but vague comments.