What made Ringo such a great drummer?

Longjohn

Because he wasn’t Pete Best? :whistle:

But seriously, I think the key is when she says he was perfect for the Beatles. Charlie Watts once commented that Ringo wouldn’t have been a good fit with the Stones, and he (Charlie) won’t have fit with the Beatles. Both had understated styles, different, but each hugely effective in the bands they carried.  

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

Pete Best was the best. 

I don't remember anyone in the 60's saying Ringo was a great drummer.  There were some who said the Beatles got rid of Pete Best and replaced him with Ringo because Pete took too much attention away from John and Paul, but listening to recordings made with Best, then Ringo, experts say it's clear that Ringo was the better drummer and kept time better.

39 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I don't remember anyone in the 60's saying Ringo was a great drummer.  There were some who said the Beatles got rid of Pete Best and replaced him with Ringo because Pete took too much attention away from John and Paul, but listening to recordings made with Best, then Ringo, experts say it's clear that Ringo was the better drummer and kept time better.

I agree w/ you.  I was just doing word play.  From my understanding, Ringo was a tempo/rhythm drummer and not some pounder/thrasher like John Bonham (a.k.a. Gonzo)