Jump to content

ATM withdrawl limits


bikeman564™
 Share

Recommended Posts

I remember back in the day $300 seemed to be the most that could  be taken oot in one day. I was poking around my bank account settings, and found my card has a limit of $1018 per day :blink: with a maximum of $1504 (what ever that means):scratchhead:. Or I could set my own limit, and the max on that is $15,000:o holy chit, I never new I could take oot that much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites



Just now, maddmaxx said:

This is probably to limit your loss to a fraudulent withdrawl.  Your ATM card is not as protected as a credit card because it's a direct access to your bank account.

Could be, it just says maximum purchase amount. I don't use the debit card for anything huge. I think the most I've used it for was <$100. I prefer the CC for anything over that, & for online purchases for the reason you stated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

Indeed. I estimate I'll be spending $75 at the pump tonight:angry:

Damn Ukranians putting up too much of a fight!  If they'd roll over like they were supposed to, gas could go down to normal prices.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

This is probably to limit your loss to a fraudulent withdrawl.  Your ATM card is not as protected as a credit card because it's a direct access to your bank account.

If your debit card has the MC or Visa logo, you have the same protections as the credit card. The Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA/Reg E) sets the bar for resolving disputes by the consumer. The plastic card agreement between Visa/MC also sets rules for resolution that the card issuers must follow. If they don’t then MC and Visa will terminate the relationship. No bank wants to lose interchange income.

  • Thank You 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Indeed. I estimate I'll be spending $75 at the pump tonight:angry:

I wish!  I have a 36 gallon tank in the one fiddy.  It will be WELL over a hundo for me.  The tree fiddy has a 35 gallon tank but diesel is at like 24 dollars a gallon or something crazy.  (might be a slight exaggeration...) So I don't want to calculate what it would cost to fill up.  We prob won't drive it until the softball tourney the following weekend.  Will most likely pull the camper and stay in the parking lot.  What I save in two nights of hotels I will just pour into the diesel tank. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I got an alert to check my ATM max withdrawal amount. It was also something weird, like $554. WTH, do you withdraw 4 bucks? The max was pretty high, I think I just rounded off to the next higher $100 increment. I keep some cash at home & carry one CC and two Amex card. I keep a little emergency cash in my wallet, truck and computer bag.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 2Far said:

FWIW, I rarely use an ATM, prolly < 4x per year

I only use ATMs on foreign vacations to get local currency.  Ever since I could do online check deposits via my phone app, I've rarely had need for an ATM.  For some things I might want "new" hundreds, and the ATM doesn't usually help with that, so I go inside to a teller. I try to rarely do that. 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I wish!  I have a 36 gallon tank in the one fiddy.  It will be WELL over a hundo for me.  The tree fiddy has a 35 gallon tank but diesel is at like 24 dollars a gallon or something crazy.  (might be a slight exaggeration...) So I don't want to calculate what it would cost to fill up.  We prob won't drive it until the softball tourney the following weekend.  Will most likely pull the camper and stay in the parking lot.  What I save in two nights of hotels I will just pour into the diesel tank. 

:frantics:mine's 22 gallon

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

If your debit card has the MC or Visa logo, you have the same protections as the credit card. The Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA/Reg E) sets the bar for resolving disputes by the consumer. The plastic card agreement between Visa/MC also sets rules for resolution that the card issuers must follow. If they don’t then MC and Visa will terminate the relationship. No bank wants to lose interchange income.

This is good to know.  Many years ago my wife used a debit card to purchase something.  A while later the card was used to purchase some expensive stereo equipment from of all places Sears.  It was shipped someplace in California.  It took weeks for the money to be refunded to our bank account while the bank investigated the sale.  Sears knew it wasn't shipped to my address but didn't care.  I stopped using debit cards for anything at that time.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

If your debit card has the MC or Visa logo, you have the same protections as the credit card. The Electronic Funds Transfer Act (EFTA/Reg E) sets the bar for resolving disputes by the consumer. The plastic card agreement between Visa/MC also sets rules for resolution that the card issuers must follow. If they don’t then MC and Visa will terminate the relationship. No bank wants to lose interchange income.

I figured there is some protection, but w/ a CC purchase, you're not out of the cash immediately like a debit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Yeah, I got an alert to check my ATM max withdrawal amount. It was also something weird, like $554. WTH, do you withdraw 4 bucks? The max was pretty high, I think I just rounded off to the next higher $100 increment. I keep some cash at home & carry one CC and two Amex card. I keep a little emergency cash in my wallet, truck and computer bag.

The $4 is for the ATM service fees that some places charge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

This is good to know.  Many years ago my wife used a debit card to purchase something.  A while later the card was used to purchase some expensive stereo equipment from of all places Sears.  It was shipped someplace in California.  It took weeks for the money to be refunded to our bank account while the bank investigated the sale.  Sears knew it wasn't shipped to my address but didn't care.  I stopped using debit cards for anything at that time.

The bank has 10 days to investigate the error from the date of reporting. They then have three days to inform you of the results. If they can’t research the error in ten days, then they must issue a provisional credit for the error amount. 

  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just remember, the Debit card is a direct pipeline to your bank account.  The credit card is money you borrow from the company and pay back.  It is, or was a fundamental difference between the two.  Things got so bad for a while that I have one credit card set aside for online purchases only as the equipment I purchase for my hobbies comes from folks I don't know or in many cases are a "first time purchase" or overseas.

My credit card companies have always been very responsive to hacking attempts.  One card called my phone less than one hour after someone 1.  purchased music for a small charge, 2.  purchased something for a few dollars more 3.  and purchases $1200 in Air France tickets.  We resolved the sales quickly and changed card numbers on the spot.  They identified the scam even before I did, and I check often.

  • Heart 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

I feel like mine is 800?  I, too, can remember when it was 300.  Back when it costs 20 bucks to fill up your tank. 

Mine is $800. The ATM used to have fast cash withdrawal buttons for $100, $200, $300, and $400. For some reason they changed it to $20 increments up to $100. If you want more, you have to type it in. 

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Last weekend I purchased my wheels on the ATM as the checking account is where the bonus was deposited.  I was a little concerned that I may hit a spending limit over the weekend but didn’t.  
 

Not really sure what, if any limits we have in our ATM but we spent about $2,500 over the weekend on wheels, meals & groceries.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Last weekend I purchased my wheels on the ATM as the checking account is where the bonus was deposited.  I was a little concerned that I may hit a spending limit over the weekend but didn’t.  
 

Not really sure what, if any limits we have in our ATM but we spent about $2,500 over the weekend on wheels, meals & groceries.  

If I set a limit, BoA treats it as per purchase, not cumulative.

  • Heart 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When the lovely Sara with an H & I were in England we hired a couple guides & a driver to take us around the Cotswolds. It was an all day thing. At the end each wanted to get paid in cash. I had assumed that they would take credit card. I paid the first guide with all the cash I had got the day before. Then when we wrapped up I went to the ATM & got my daily limit (I don't remember how much the limit was) The total of my leftover & the withdrawal wasn't enough. I was sweating it a bit. Finally we talked the taxi guy to lets us do CC & would top up the 3% surcharge. Then we added a generous tip to square us up

  • Heart 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

I wish!  I have a 36 gallon tank in the one fiddy.  It will be WELL over a hundo for me.  The tree fiddy has a 35 gallon tank but diesel is at like 24 dollars a gallon or something crazy.  (might be a slight exaggeration...) So I don't want to calculate what it would cost to fill up.  We prob won't drive it until the softball tourney the following weekend.  Will most likely pull the camper and stay in the parking lot.  What I save in two nights of hotels I will just pour into the diesel tank. 

Do you have pumps that shut off at $95? We do with credit cards, so I have to restart the pump to finish the refill.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hate it that the minimum the bank ATM is $40. I use the same ATM/Debit card in a store like Target and get $10 or $20 bash back like I wanted in the first place.

Overseas will use it to get foreign currency, but generally $200 or more. With the service charge attached to foreign currency, I don't want to take out dinky little amounts with recurring service charges. Thankfully, the only credit cards I pack have no foreign exchange fee, but both ATM/debit cards do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Overseas will use it to get foreign currency, but generally $200 or more. With the service charge attached to foreign currency, I don't want to take out dinky little amounts with recurring service charges. Thankfully, the only credit cards I pack have no foreign exchange fee, but both ATM/debit cards do.

BoA still hits me with the 3% international transaction fee, but all the other fees are waived - like and ATM fee or transaction fee - so whether a $10 or a $1,000 withdrawal, still 3%.  I can usually find a their partners on lots of trips - but Switzerland looks like they don't have any partners. Darn Swiss and their funny money!

Use your Bank of America ATM or debit card at one of our International partner ATMs and avoid the non-Bank of America ATM $5 usage fee for each withdrawal, transfer or balance inquiry as well as the ATM operator access fee.

  • Barclays United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and the Channel Islands)
  • BNP Paribas (France)
  • BNL D'Italia (Italy)
  • Deutsche Bank (Germany and Spain)
  • UkrSibbank (Ukraine)
  • TEB (Turkey)
  • Scotiabank (Canada, Mexico, Peru, Chile, and the Caribbean countries: Antigua & Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Cayman Islands, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, and Turks & Caicos Islands)
  • Westpac Bank (Australia and New Zealand)
  • China Construction Bank (Mainland China, excluding Hong Kong)

Bank of America will assess an international transaction fee of 3% of the converted US dollar amount. Foreign ATM operators may offer to do your currency conversion for you, but they may charge a higher fee for conversion. To insure that your currency conversion does not incur a fee higher than 3%, you may refuse the ATM operator's offer to convert the amount of the transaction.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

BoA still hits me with the 3% international transaction fee, but all the other fees are waived - like and ATM fee or transaction fee - so whether a $10 or a $1,000 withdrawal, still 3%.  I can usually find a their partners on lots of trips - but Switzerland looks like they don't have any partners. Darn Swiss and their funny money!

Use your Bank of America ATM or debit card at one of our International partner ATMs and avoid the non-Bank of America ATM $5 usage fee for each withdrawal, transfer or balance inquiry as well as the ATM operator access fee.

  • Barclays United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and the Channel Islands)
  • BNP Paribas (France)
  • BNL D'Italia (Italy)
  • Deutsche Bank (Germany and Spain)
  • UkrSibbank (Ukraine)
  • TEB (Turkey)
  • Scotiabank (Canada, Mexico, Peru, Chile, and the Caribbean countries: Antigua & Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, Cayman Islands, Dominican Republic, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, and Turks & Caicos Islands)
  • Westpac Bank (Australia and New Zealand)
  • China Construction Bank (Mainland China, excluding Hong Kong)

Bank of America will assess an international transaction fee of 3% of the converted US dollar amount. Foreign ATM operators may offer to do your currency conversion for you, but they may charge a higher fee for conversion. To insure that your currency conversion does not incur a fee higher than 3%, you may refuse the ATM operator's offer to convert the amount of the transaction.

Both Wells Fargo and Trusco hit me with a fee, but every foreign bank I've used doesn't hit me with a fee. My preference is Swiss Postal Finance, but regular banks are the same no fee. I avoid airport exchange kiosk like the plague and look for bank ATM's at the airport. Also, discovered that credit cards wouldn't work in unmanned ticket kiosk (train, bus, etc) because they required the PIN that US credit cards don't have by default. Was really frustrating when my credit cards kept getting rejected. Then discovered that the debit card would work as it had a PIN that the kiosk machine demanded. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Do you have pumps that shut off at $95? We do with credit cards, so I have to restart the pump to finish the refill.

We have had them shut off at 75.  What a pain!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

We have had them shut off at 75.  What a pain!

Back in the early 00s when gas was going up crazy (Iraq war?), my buddy had a Corvette and an F150.  He rarely drove the Corvette to work, but he drove the truck all the time. He regularly bitched about hitting that limit.  I always chuckled as I think my car's tank was half the size of his trucks tank, and I got 2x the mileage and drove maybe 50% as much as him.

He loved his truck, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...