Remember Handwritten Receipts?

Razors Edge

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

I remember these

c0c582aa-59dc-4ddf-944a-046d5ceb9f64.9d5

Yep - I feel like those only finally disappeared in the past decade.  Probably languished under a counter for a decade before that, too.  

There was also a thin "phonebook" of bad card numbers they could check your card against.  I never worked in retail, but that must have been fun - denying folks use of a card or even confiscating it???? Don't see that anymore - cards just either work or don't and the merchant can play dumb :)

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I remember these

c0c582aa-59dc-4ddf-944a-046d5ceb9f64.9d5

I remember those, but was not around much for them.  By the time I had a debit card most things were electronic.  They used those a few times when the card reader thingie was down.  Mostly gas stations I think?

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I remember those, but was not around much for them.  By the time I had a debit card most things were electronic.  They used those a few times when the card reader thingie was down.  Mostly gas stations I think?

Same here. I remember making some cc purchases in the 90s at smaller businesses like bike shops, that used these. But more so my parents.

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep - I feel like those only finally disappeared in the past decade.  Probably languished under a counter for a decade before that, too.  

There was also a thin "phonebook" of bad card numbers they could check your card against.  I never worked in retail, but that must have been fun - denying folks use of a card or even confiscating it???? Don't see that anymore - cards just either work or don't and the merchant can play dumb :)

Yeah that was fun I was in the retail nursery industry for years. Look up the number tell them that their card was on that list and they would need to call their card provider. They were never happy about that.  I don’t think I ever had to actually keep a car md just deny it

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, jsharrwick said:

Yeah that was fun I was in the retail nursery industry for years. Look up the number tell them that their card was on that list and they would need to call their card provider. They were never happy about that.  I don’t think I ever had to actually keep a car md just deny it

The movies make a big deal about cutting them up in front of the customer :D

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

....with your credit card imprint (or also written)????

I wonder if the babes here ( @bikeman564™ @Parr8hed and @goldendesign) remember.  From @groupw's receipt, all we get is *******8295 :(

3879FE9D-A85F-4A3D-B938-61E336E40F96.jpeg

It's so long ago, I've almost forgotten getting the carbon copy of the written receipt.

At Walmart stores today, I use my phone app to pay, pointing my camera at the QR code at the register - set to use the Capitol One/Walmart Mastercard (2% cashback) or whatever card offers a 3 month period with 5% cashback. No printed receipt at all. I keep my phone app open to show the worker checking receipts at the door. I also have my phone set to pick up and use Walmart's free WiFi when I'm in the store. When I copy my receipts to my laptop spreadsheet spending record, I have to remember to call the Walmart receipt up.

The three advantages of the phone app are:

1. I don't have to carry around my Walmart Mastercard - my other cards pay better cash-back elsewhere.

2. If I can't remember the brand of something I liked that I bought before, I can search my past receipts while I'm in the store.

3. If I want to return something, I can call up the Walmart receipt, tag the item to be returned, go to Walmart's Customer Service, give them the item and wave my phone over a sensor and it's done.

Screenshot_2022-03-04_102832.thumb.jpg.2364a7f25406453e5041a5706fa4fa1c.jpg

• Heart 1

Ages ago I had a Texaco fuel card and bought $18.00 of gas.  The girl at the counter didn’t have the best handwriting and I thought, hmm that looks like too many zero’s but signed and  moved on.

A few weeks later I got the bill and it seemed way too high.  I then saw that one transaction was for $180.00!  Faaahk yeah too many zero’s…   It took a couple of calls to customer service but they sorted it out. 

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Were debit cards even a thing when these types of crunchers were active?

1 hour ago, sheep_herder said:

Were debit cards even a thing when these types of crunchers were active?

I remember getting one about the time I went overseas.  It was a big deal.  Didn't have to write a check in the Px to get cash anymore.  This was 96 or 97?