Price of gas versus driving habits

Road Runner

I live on a busy boulevard.  People seem to drive more and crazier than ever these days.  They fly past my house at ridiculous speeds only to have to slam on their brakes at the stoplight a block away.  Then they accelerate to the next stoplight as if they are in some sort of never-ending drag race.  The winner gets to the grocery store 5 seconds before the loser.  :wacko:

I can't help but wonder if the skyrocketing price of gas will have any affect on these idiots.  I'm guessing not.

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I can't help but wonder if the skyrocketing price of gas will have any affect on these idiots.  I'm guessing no.

I'm guessing that your guess is correct.

Anyone who buys a vehicle much larger than they need then complains about gas prices is an idiot. I have one neighbor with a Ford Raptor which has never seen dirt except by accident. Another bought a huge pickup truck to haul around his camper, that he doesn't use but twice a year. He commutes in the truck about 50 miles every work day.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Anyone who buys a vehicle much larger than they need then complains about gas prices is an idiot. I have one neighbor with a Ford Raptor which has never seen dirt except by accident. Another bought a huge pickup truck to haul around his camper, that he doesn't use but twice a year. He commutes in the truck about 50 miles every work day.

My son has a big truck that he commutes to work in, but has decided to sell it and get something smaller.  I hope it is for the right reason, but I suspect it may be just an excuse to justify buying a new vehicle.  :)

2 minutes ago, Further said:

I was with a friend, we were out in the plains of Wyoming, in an old CJ5 Jeep with a 304 V8 in it, the gas gauge was getting dangerously low

My buddy started driving faster, when I said something about saving gas he replied that if we went faster we would go farther on the gas we had

Those 5's with the 304 were dope.  Had a buddy that could pull the front wheels off the ground in his.  Awesome setups.  

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I USE IT MORE THAN THAT! :angry:

I know very few people who use their gas guzzlers for their proper purpose.  You may be one along with BR46 as you travel and tow to many events.  I too laugh when I watch large SUV's and Pickumuptrucks commuting to work monday through friday.  Perhaps those folks should park that and drive something small to work.

Naa.  They will just complain about prices.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

I USE IT MORE THAN THAT! :angry:

Hi neighbor! :D 

This guy doesn't have a wife nor two very active children who need busing around. Funny story about his trailer. He mis-measured the length of the trailer and his driveway. The trailer is too long for the driveway and he has to pay to have it stored. The guy spent 20 years in the USAF and retired as a lowly E-5 which is hard to do short of getting busted. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I'm going to drive the motorhome the exact same way we always have. We stay in the right lane with the big trucks at 67mph 

We get our best mileage if we stay under 70

I've noticed that even with cars today.  My tiny IQ was geared to get it's best milage at about 50 on a two lane road (meant as urban car) and my present IM gets it's best milage between 60 and 70, achieving over 40mph on a trip to NYC where I was in traffic at those speeds.  I suspect it's because the CV trans seems to declutch completely when off the throttle which happens often as traffic speeds up and the brakes.

My Subie doesn’t get the greatest gas mileage having a V6 and AWD so tend to drive it pretty gently during my commute.  I see it as well where people are in stop & go traffic only to slam the accelerator & brake every 100’. I usually accelerate & slow more gently.

• Thank You 1

19 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I know very few people who use their gas guzzlers for their proper purpose.  You may be one along with BR46 as you travel and tow to many events.  I too laugh when I watch large SUV's and Pickumuptrucks commuting to work monday through friday.  Perhaps those folks should park that and drive something small to work.

Naa.  They will just complain about prices.

I do use the gas guzzling 150 to drive to work, but only b/c it's paid for.  I am not trading a good car in just for better mileage the way car prices are these days.  When it is dead and gone I will replace it with something more efficient now that I have something bigger to pull the camper.  But it actually gets about 17-18 driving back and forth to work.  Not horrid for a truck.

• Heart 1

If we paid for our transportation system mostly through gasoline taxes like most other countries do, it would add about $2 to the gallon and we'd be driving higher mileage cars.  When American car companies were telling Congress around 2008 that building avg. 35 mpg cars was impossible, the cars they were selling in Europe averaged 35 mpg and were NOT much smaller.  On expressways and 2-lane highways in Europe, the speed limits are typically much higher than in the USA because the mpg is still pretty good.  I drove on the A8 motorway along the French Riviera between Monaco and Cannes where the speed limit is 130 km/hr (81 mph) but almost everyone drives around 150 km/hr (93 mph).

Personally, when I got my 2013 Honda Fit in Jan. 2013, it was my first relatively high mileage car, rated 31 mpg, and tried to keep my mileage high.  I limited myself to 62 mph max. on expressways, having studied that mileage falls off only about 5% compared to 55 mph, and quickly falls off faster above that (see U.S. Dept. of Energy "How Much?" graph below).

I averaged 31 mpg.  Since then, I've gotten lazy, go 70 on the expressways, and have dropped to a 27 - 29 mpg avg., the lower end of the range when I'm doing mostly stop-and-go driving.  My mileage is based on the gallons at the pump, not the car's computer's mileage calculation.  I keep a mileage record for fueleconomy.gov and fuelly.com.

89493025_fueleconomy.govgraphold.JPG.0b7bdf7c73256d9854fb41c6742b1904.JPG

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I try to, also.  But it really infuriates the people behind me who are racing to see who gets to the grocery store first.   :angry:

Yea, sorry about that.  I just got too much going on and get in a hurry.  I should learn to relax.  

But seriously, I am fine with the going slow thing just don't do it in the left lane!  :D

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I do use the gas guzzling 150 to drive to work, but only b/c it's paid for.  I am not trading a good car in just for better mileage the way car prices are these days.  When it is dead and gone I will replace it with something more efficient now that I have something bigger to pull the camper.  But it actually gets about 17-18 driving back and forth to work.  Not horrid for a truck.

I don’t think anyone of us needs to justify what we drive or why we drive it.  Sometimes we get a bit judgemental on those who don’t do as we do.  

I say drive what makes you happy.  Fuel costs may not be great right now but they won’t stay like this forever.  

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I don’t think anyone of us needs to justify what we drive or why we drive it.  Sometimes we get a bit judgemental on those who don’t do as we do.  

I say drive what makes you happy.  Fuel costs may not be great right now but they won’t stay like this forever.  

I wish I could afford to drive what makes me happy!  The Cobra 427 will just have to wait.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

13 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I have my old Trek 1000 in the garage.  Since retiring I have thought about converting it to a city bike and using it to get to the gym, or if I need to go to the grocery store. 

Before I had my touring bikes I had a rear rack and panniers on my 1000 for hauling stuff. I put 28s on it for tires, the largest I could make fit.

• Heart 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

Yeah and when you open a 2 car length gap 4 cars try to squeeze in the gap! 

This is what pisses me off.  I am in the left lane, behind a slow poker.  I am trying to keep a somewhat safe distance and not ride slow poker's ass too bad.  But them some jerk-off comes around you and tries to cut you off and get in front of you.  Nope, I cut that shit right off.  That is really the only thing that gets me too fired up.  Other than that I try to stay pretty chill. 

16 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I have my old Trek 1000 in the garage.  Since retiring I have thought about converting it to a city bike and using it to get to the gym, or if I need to go to the grocery store. 

I was talking to my boss recently and we are doing a complete reorganization as we return to office.  One of the options is to move me to an office about 10 miles from home!  The first thing that crossed my mind was now that ride is doable!  My current commute via bike is closer to 25 miles one way. 

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

And yes, in all honesty I really do just like my truck.  I can justify it anyway saying that "it's paid for"  and I don't want to trade for a new car just for mileage, but at the end of the day I really like driving my truck.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Before I had my touring bikes I had a rear rack and panniers on my 1000 for hauling stuff. I put 28s on it for tires, the largest I could make fit.

I was hoping to get 28s on mine.  Sounds as if that will work.  it will also help my mechanical skills to get the bike in shape.  It has a Sora derailleur that needed replacing.... a few years ago. 

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I wish I could afford to drive what makes me happy!  The Cobra 427 will just have to wait.

Personally I think that the 427 Cobra was over kill. I think that a Cobra with a good built 289 would corner better and to me would = more fun.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I was hoping to get 28s on mine.  Sounds as if that will work.  it will also help my mechanical skills to get the bike in shape.  It has a Sora derailleur that needed replacing.... a few years ago. 

I think mine had Tiagra but I changed it for a long cage derailleur to handle a thirty tooth cassette.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Our family uses very little.  I commute by human power, with the exception when I ride the e.  I don't really do it to save money.  I do it to help save tomorrow for future generations.

My little town is not that big so most places that we go can easily bike or walk to.

• Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, BR46 said:

My little town is not that big so most places that we go can easily bike or walk to.

The good life.  I refuse to liver further than about 5 miles from essential life needs,    The new place had to be within reasonable biking distance and accessible to a bus route.  Total success. 

• Heart 2

30 minutes ago, BR46 said:

Personally I think that the 427 Cobra was over kill. I think that a Cobra with a good built 289 would corner better and to me would = more fun.

I mean honestly I would probably prefer a kit car.  Light carbon body, good coilovers, huge brakes, aluminum 5.0 with a supercharger.  Would stop, go and handle a million times better than the OG.  

I just drive, when I want to, where I want to, and at the the best speed I can safely achieve.  

Fueling up an Accord and a Civic is not a problem - even at $4/gal or more.  It helps only driving a few thousand miles a year - many of those longer highway trips.

I drove a LOT when I worked.  That's why I purchased a 2005 Prius, and drove that for 260,000+ miles.  That worked out so good, I traded that for my 2016 Prius which is more comfortable and gets even better gas mileage than the 2005.

Our driving won't change much.   It's already considerably less than when I worked.  The virus for the last 2 years, changed our habits, so we drive even less now.

• Heart 2

13 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I mean honestly I would probably prefer a kit car.  Light carbon body, good coilovers, huge brakes, aluminum 5.0 with a supercharger.  Would stop, go and handle a million times better than the OG.  

I'd opt for something from Kindig.  They'd surely make a wicked Cobra-esque car that would also be a daily driver :)

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd opt for something from Kindig.  They'd surely make a wicked Cobra-esque car that would also be a daily driver :)

LOL.  Could you imagine a "real" Cobra being a daily driver?  The stiff clutch, the sidepipes, the noise, the lack of a roof, the lack of a radio, bluetooth or heated seats....  I would be awesome for about 2 days.  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Parr8hed said:

LOL.  Could you imagine a "real" Cobra being a daily driver?  The stiff clutch, the sidepipes, the noise, the lack of a roof, the lack of a radio, bluetooth or heated seats....  I would be awesome for about 2 days.  

And the Kindig would be faster, handle better, brake better, safer, have AC & a good radio, be more reliable, more power, better gas mileage, less emissions, and also cost less :)

That's a WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN situation.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Further said:

I was with a friend, we were out in the plains of Wyoming, in an old CJ5 Jeep with a 304 V8 in it, the gas gauge was getting dangerously low

My buddy started driving faster, when I said something about saving gas he replied that if we went faster we would go farther on the gas we had

Are there lots of Texas Aggies in Wyoming? 

6 minutes ago, denniS said:

I have seen a lot of Texas plates around here this year. My favorites were the ones in the sprinter van that left it running while they skied. 

Was it black?  Probably my buddy Brandon.  He is like that.  Sorry.  This week he is in the Caymans.  

24 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

The Daytona got 6 mph in town driving back in 72.  That was on super premium 106 octane gas.  I wonder if one could even afford to drive it today without some serious mods.

• Haha 1

simple.

Only about 1% of the oil we refine each day comes from Russia.  Make it some patriotic thing, slow down, increase you gas mileage 1%, get a magnetic flag sticker for your car.

It's always been a thing in this country, gas prices go up, we whine and cry for the government to DO SOMETHING!!!!! so we can keep driving our monster trucks painlessly.

You would think that one of the things we learned from COVID is that we CAN easily reduce the amount of driving we do. 

1%, that's all we need.  Well, not really, because the current prices have zero to do with Russia, OPEC is limiting production, consumption is way up.  But it's easier to blame Russia, so reducing by 2% would still be about Russia

• Heart 1

48 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

The car sold new for around $6,000

• Heart 1