Price of gas versus driving habits

Road Runner

6 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I think I drive more now than I have in 30 years. Hopefully it won’t always be this way. A second car or motorcycle for better mileage would be nice but expensive when I figure cost of the vehicle, registration, insurance, and inspection. 

I don't know if anyone here would come up with this idea, but, how about a bike?

2 minutes ago, 12string said:

I don't know if anyone here would come up with this idea, but, how about a bike?

How dare you even think that we would even consider riding a bicycle. 

They started putting motors in bicycle frames back in the 1800.

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

I haven’t been driving this week but the news is all over LA county hitting an average price of over $5 a gallon. I live in Orange County so it’s probably $.10 lower.

Friend of mine in Long Beach on business posted this yesterday

May be an image of road

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, 12string said:

simple.

Only about 1% of the oil we refine each day comes from Russia.  Make it some patriotic thing, slow down, increase you gas mileage 1%, get a magnetic flag sticker for your car.

It's always been a thing in this country, gas prices go up, we whine and cry for the government to DO SOMETHING!!!!! so we can keep driving our monster trucks painlessly.

You would think that one of the things we learned from COVID is that we CAN easily reduce the amount of driving we do. 

1%, that's all we need.  Well, not really, because the current prices have zero to do with Russia, OPEC is limiting production, consumption is way up.  But it's easier to blame Russia, so reducing by 2% would still be about Russia

Not the entire story about shortages.  Other countries get far more Russian oil than we do.  If the western world eschews Russian oil (for sue) then those countries are going to enter the rest of the world oil market to get replacement oil.  Because of that prices on oil all across the globe will rise as oil bidders go into competition with each other for oil.

So it's not as small as just 1% for us as we will find others bidding for oil we currently buy from other OPEC nations.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

I will be a guest speaker on the topic of bike commuting soon.  The timing seems perfect.  I hope to inspire and empower people to change a few habits.  Maybe it will create a push for better road infrastructure.  @shootingstar

You know cycling as regular transportation method  ..helps when there's infrastructure near by ....and living in the neighbourhood with stuff not so far away or one doesn't have to catapult dangerously across a highway too often.  Let us know how the evening goes with your  spiel/chat online.

I payed 3.99 today

I normally fill up every two weeks and it usally takes about 15 gallons.

@ 4 dollars that will be 60 dollars

@ 5 dollars per it will be 75 dollars

@ 3 dollars it was 45 dollars

the extra 30 dollars every 2 weeks won't make a big difference to me. I do feel bad for people that use more gas and are already tight for money.

Just now, Further said:

I payed 3.99 today

the extra 30 dollars every 2 weeks won't make a big difference to me. I do feel bad for people that use more gas and are already tight for money.

Man, I was mathin the hell out of it   :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

My doctor appointments are sometimes during rush hour in the morning or in the evening. The amount of traffic going both directions between Mercer and Hermitage is unbelievable. These people need to trade houses. I wish I could ask these people where they were going. My area used to have many big employers that had hundreds or even thousands of employees. They are all gone now so where are these people going?

The amount of traffic in the off hours is amazing too. They can’t all be going to doctor appointments or to get groceries. Where are they going?

22 hours ago, Further said:

I was with a friend, we were out in the plains of Wyoming, in an old CJ5 Jeep with a 304 V8 in it, the gas gauge was getting dangerously low

My buddy started driving faster, when I said something about saving gas he replied that if we went faster we would go farther on the gas we had

Right!  He wanted to get to a gas station poste haste before he ran out of gas!  

• Heart 1

My commute is about 30 miles. It takes anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour. I have to work in the office 3 days/week. The CX5 averages around 28 mpg. Gas at the end of the week was around $3.99. Sam’s and Costco are closer to $3.79. I heard lines are awful there. On the other hand, I can go to Casa Grande and the price will be $3.79 or lower. There are a couple things that way that can justify the trip. 
I want a Mazda 3 to get mileage in the 30s. I get a company discount on cars in May. We’ll see how things look, then. 
I would say 80% of the drivers are reasonable and just want to get to their destination safely. The other 20% apparently believe there is some kind of prize for getting their first! 

14 hours ago, Further said:

I payed 3.99 today

It does fall into the "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." sort of spectrum.  For the most part, folks are in control of the car/truck/suv they choose to own and drive.  If you choose size over economy, so be it, but that's where you also chose to spend more when gas is more expensive.  It's a fair trade off, and one that folks could correct easily if they actually wanted to.  Many folks are happier complaining than accepting the consequences of their actions.  Remember the adage, "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time"? Well, "Don't buy the guzzler if you can't fill the tank." :D  It was a similar thing when folks got over their heads in the mortgage meltdown in 2008.  Actions have consequences, and some are great ... until they're not :(