So do you take umbrage with people using words like umbrage?

Ralphie

The only time fancy words bug me is when they're so obscure very few English majors would even recognize them.

I complained on a recent ABC News article that the word "riperian" was used and who would have a clue what that meant?

The only reason I knew it meant "of the riverbank" was because it occurred in the BBC comedy, "Keeping Up Appearances," where a "Riperian Picnic" was held: the word chosen by Hyacinth Bucket (who says "It's pronounced 'Bouquet'") to make a so-so event seem classy.

28 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The only time fancy words bug me is when they're so obscure very few English majors would even recognize them.

I complained on a recent ABC News article that the word "riperian" was used and who would have a clue what that meant?

The only reason I knew it meant "of the riverbank" was because it occurred in the BBC comedy, "Keeping Up Appearances," where a "Riperian Picnic" was held: the word chosen by Hyacinth Bucket (who says "It's pronounced 'Bouquet'") to make a so-so event seem classy.

If you own land on an inland lake or a stream or river you know what that word means...  Riparian rights are sort'a important to you then.

• Heart 3

9 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

If you own land on an inland lake or a stream or river you know what that word means...  Riparian rights are sort'a important to you then.

Because it’s the exact word for a specific situation… We call it “the bosque” here in ABQ. But we describe the bosque as a riparian area. 

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

No.  I enjoy the diversion.   Years ago in a prior job, we had to write weekly reports on the status of our projects.  One week all the people in my group got together and decided to use the most obscure, erudite words we could find,  We described our unproductive discussions with vendors as interactions with intransigent and truculent participants.  Our manager was very confused, and luckily amused that week.

I had a cow-orker who did the same thing! He maintained propinquity with vendors. :D

And one time our manager went around asking who was the author of this epistle. :D

• Haha 2

To word oneself at a work meeting:  "Bolt on this software to pull in data......"  or "Let's anchor this with good analysis"...., sometimes people just might listen because to marry good imagery for something complex might be helpful.  Or they can listen and reject what you just said. (What did she say???? :P)  Or they hear a word, rarely heard in the workplace.

In one of my training sessions, I do occasionally use metaphors. I seem to be the only person on my team. Why? :(

In 1 slide, it tells people not to create so many hurdles for users if you have complex, deep design.  And I have a little figure jumping over a hurdle.

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

My family still uses the phrase "bon vivant buffet" because Hyacinth used it in an episode and we loved it.

• 9 months later...