I think I broke the car (again)

12string

pulling into the driveway Wednesday night, heard a "CLUNK!!" from the right front.  If it was just a "clunk", or even just one exclamation mark I wouldn't be bothered.  Actually, I wasn't bothered anyway.  Until, a right hand sweeper, not real fast, but when I pushed the gas I suddenly got another 10 degrees of steering to the right.  The car also kind of wanders a bit when hitting the gas or dumping the clutch.

Frist guess is a motor mount, but could be a lower control arm bolt.  I was hoping just loose, but the "CLUNK!!"

Don't want to switch back to the truck, gas prices being what they are

• Sad 2

43 minutes ago, 12string said:

pulling into the driveway Wednesday night, heard a "CLUNK!!" from the right front.  If it was just a "clunk", or even just one exclamation mark I wouldn't be bothered.  Actually, I wasn't bothered anyway.  Until, a right hand sweeper, not real fast, but when I pushed the gas I suddenly got another 10 degrees of steering to the right.  The car also kind of wanders a bit when hitting the gas or dumping the clutch.

Frist guess is a motor mount, but could be a lower control arm bolt.  I was hoping just loose, but the "CLUNK!!"

Don't want to switch back to the truck, gas prices being what they are

If it's turning that much, it sounds like the rod or something else is loose from your rack-and-pinion steering.  A both front wheels pointing in the same direction?

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

The fun starts when they break.  A safety tip for you... only steer in the direction that doesn't clunk. 

We just had to do womaxx's cube.  She didn't bother telling me about the clunk till the car started to vibrate and wobble in a straight line.  The repair shop rolled their eyes.

Just now, Longjohn said:

Prolly not a good ideer to fix it with duck tape. This calls for an old fashion steel coat hanger.

And if he can't find a good coat hanger he can snip the one holding up the muffler.  He don't really need a muffler.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, maddmaxx said:

We just had to do womaxx's cube.  She didn't bother telling me about the clunk till the car started to vibrate and wobble in a straight line.  The repair shop rolled their eyes.

I had one that went bad quickly pulling in to the parking lot at work - 50 miles from home.  I had noticed something earlier but nothing like a clunk yet.  That morning it clunked...  It only 'clunked' turning right.  I took it as a challenge to get home that evening with the car (I know....).  I figured out a route home on secondary roads with almost exclusively left turns.  I drove slow and was careful knowing that I could end up on the side (or middle of the road at any second).  I made an appointment at my favorite repair shop for the next morning and then I made it home.  The next morning I was backing out of the driveway with the only right hand turn getting out that I had to make getting to the shop.  That's when it gave way.  I slid back into the driveway and called a wrecker.

• Heart 3

41 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I had one that went bad quickly pulling in to the parking lot at work - 50 miles from home.  I had noticed something earlier but nothing like a clunk yet.  That morning it clunked...  It only 'clunked' turning right.  I took it as a challenge to get home that evening with the car (I know....).  I figured out a route home on secondary roads with almost exclusively left turns.  I drove slow and was careful knowing that I could end up on the side (or middle of the road at any second).  I made an appointment at my favorite repair shop for the next morning and then I made it home.  The next morning I was backing out of the driveway with the only right hand turn getting out that I had to make getting to the shop.  That's when it gave way.  I slid back into the driveway and called a wrecker.

Heh heh... Must have been fun making all those left-hand loops. (P.S. I love this story.)

1 hour ago, smudge said:

Heh heh... Must have been fun making all those left-hand loops. (P.S. I love this story.)

I live just off 131, 50 miles south of GR and I work 3 blocks from 131 here.  I did a small loop here to get on 'old' 131, went 50 miles south and did another small left hand loop to get home.  Easy peasy.

• Haha 1

I also am getting the torque steer on acceleration, and unfortunately I know it is the engine mount. Last month had a new battery put in (don't get me started on that - not a DIY or even auto parts store install). During the install, checked all other systems and came back with video of engine mount issue that service person suggested deferring the $1400 job until the next oil change (7000 miles away). I noted that this was the second time as replaced one under warranty. Of course the write-up on the battery invoice was "Rt eng mt is cracked and leaking, lower is worn and causing a vibration, declined by customer at this time."

I've got a better idea. 7000 miles for the chip/inventory issue to resolve and get a new car before the oil change (not a DIY project either as can get the oil with the required BMW spec in anything other than quart size from BMW or Mini. Plus on Amazon and other retailers, the oil change kit with filter comes withing $15 of the typical special at Mini, so they may as well do it. Mobil/Castrol and other's "European" oil meets each manufacturer's spec...except BMW.

In keeping with the other thread on gas prices and driving, seriously considering the Ford Escape Hybrid (40+ mpg) or as an alternate depending on projected use, the Ram or Chevy 1500 with 3.L diesel that gets about the same fuel economy as the Mini. The Ford is 4 down towable behind an RV where the truck could pull a trailer. Decisions, decisions.

29 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I live just off 131, 50 miles south of GR and I work 3 blocks from 131 here.  I did a small loop here to get on 'old' 131, went 50 miles south and did another small left hand loop to get home.  Easy peasy.

That's it. Next time I go to GR, we're getting together for a beer!!! 

16 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

torque steer on acceleration, and unfortunately I know it is the engine mount.

This.  It only happens on velocity changes, no vibration, no noise any other time - even braking.  Tie rods or ball joints make noise and vibrate all the time, especially when braking.  "Clunk" was a one time only event.

However, it could still be one of the lower control arm bolts (there's a couple).  Something in the geometry moved, the wheel is about 10 degrees right to go straight.  Still handles well, but definitely different turning right than left.

6 hours ago, 12string said:

Something in the geometry moved, the wheel is about 10 degrees right to go straight.  Still handles well, but definitely different turning right than left.

That's not good at all.  I'd get the car towed to my local shop and pay them to fix it. 

The last thing you need is another CLUNK and the wheel separates from the car while you are moving. 

My list of critical repairs on a car;

1) brakes

2) steering

3) everything else.. 

Stopping and steering is what keeps you alive. 

• Heart 1

baffling. 

Everything looks OK, except the inner tierod end on the right side, has a little movement.  That could certainly do the torques steer thing, but not the occasional clunk (I don't think).  I did manage to tighten down a couple engine mount bolts, but they weren't by any means loose enough to cause this (and it still happens).  Clunk could be the sway bar, it is steering (either direction with spring compression that makes it clunk

I just rebuilt the entire front suspension except the steering rack and inner tie rods.

I've got some duct tape and a bungee cord (just to be double safe) making sure the tie rod doesn't separate for now

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, 12string said:

baffling. 

One day soon, the answer will be revealed to you.  Hopefully not when you are going 60 mph.

1 hour ago, 12string said:

I've got some duct tape and a bungee cord (just to be double safe) making sure the tie rod doesn't separate for now

That would not make me feel safe at all....   

19 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

That would not make me feel safe at all.... 

Well I certainly don't see how adding some WD40 would make it safer.

I was going to use speed tape instead of duct tape, but that's rated for well over 100MPH and I plan on driving slower than that until I get it permanently fixed.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, 12string said:

Well I certainly don't see how adding some WD40 would make it safer.

I was going to use speed tape instead of duct tape, but that's rated for well over 100MPH and I plan on driving slower than that until I get it permanently fixed.

And I was just going to add that the only thing you are missing is WD40.

Maybe you should just JB Weld the tie rod ends on.  Or at least take out those bolts with just a dab of blue loctite and do them up right with red...

image.png.f6ee4a0b87daeeef6ac52b756074fe6c.png

May be an image of text that says 'OCTITE HIGH 271 RED OCKER READ'

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Keep in mind, this is the BEST TIME IN HISTORY to sell that used car - in whatever condition it currently sits.

Keep in mind, this is the WORST TIME IN HISTORY to buy any new or used car - in whatever condition it currently sits..

• Heart 1

Just now, jsharrwick said:

Keep in mind, this is the WORST TIME IN HISTORY to buy and new or used car - in whatever condition it currently sits..

He has another vehicle! Sell the albatross, pocket the cash, wait for the real estate collapse, and buy a new car! It's the circle of life, man!

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Keep in mind, this is the BEST TIME IN HISTORY to sell that used car - in whatever condition it currently sits.

And then what?   It's also the WORST TIME IN HISTORY to buy any car.   Well over MSRP for new.  Some used cars are selling for more than they were cost when they were purchased. 

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

He has another vehicle! Sell the albatross, pocket the cash, wait for the real estate collapse, and buy a new car! It's the circle of life, man!

what the hell does real estate have to do with the price of tacos in Tijuana?

• Thank You 1

20 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Why would there be more new cars next week?  

Should add a "gap" in there to let things settle down first, but yeah, that bubble could burst any minute now.  Unsustainable close to 14 year run of up up up.  I was reading about London's RE market hitting highest peak since...2008.  Yeah, be afraid. Be very afraid.

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Unsustainable close to 14 year run of up up up.

That's true for the stock market too. (until the last few months)   It is a bubble too...  that appears to be starting to burst. 

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, be afraid. Be very afraid.

THIS ^^^^