Faarwood rack

Parsnip Totin Jack

4 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Should I? They get wet, they dry out. I don’t know. 

We often did or put plywood on top. We normally got enough snow that some pieces would freeze together, and then we needed a place to dry the wood before it was put into the stove. We heated with wood in Oregon with an electric backup. We've never hooked up our stove in Montana. They are not always dry when you want them dry.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

Should I? They get wet, they dry out. I don’t know. 

What's the process for seasoning fire wood?  I'd imagine the goal is always the least amount of moisture in a log when you burn it?  I'd certainly consider some portion of the wood being covered, if only for when the winter comes, and you go to build a fire, having all the logs wet might be annoying.  If you keep a closer small stack in the garage or by the fireplace inside, you might be able to have a long enough rotation to get the outside wood dried out by the time you toss it in the fire.

2 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

We often did or put plywood on top. We normally got enough snow that some pieces would freeze together, and then we needed a place to dry the wood before it was put into the stove. We heated with wood in Oregon with an electric backup. We've never hooked up our stove in Montana. They are not always dry when you want them dry.

Well the only place we have to burn right now is a portable firepit. The basement has a fireplace but it’s set up for propane. I want to convert that to a wood burning insert some day.