Serial Sugar Escapades - what % by weight sugar would you guestimate store brand Bran Flakes at?

Ralphie

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Aldi brand is only 13%

This is the Dr. Mickin calculation of grams of sugar dived by total grams in the serving, not the % of Daily Value listed on the box, but in this case they are very close to each other.  Actually my guestimate was a tad off - 6/39=15.4%  All 6g of it added sugar. :(

Bran flakes that are NOT the "sugary" kind could be as low as 3%, maybe lower, but the sugary kind are almost surely 25% or more.

I often point out to people in the supermarket cereal aisles that its rare to find cereal that's less than 25% sugar - some are even around 50%.

Even some of the so-called healthy ones are 25% or more sugar.  I think it's a virtually criminal act that you're tempting kids with names like "Cap'n Crunch" (44% sugar), "Lucky Charms" (37% sugar). etc. and then whacking their systems in the morning systems 25% or more sugar.  Then they're sent to school on a sugar high, are too overactive at first and too sluggish later.

I always have one box or either Cheerios (5% sugar) or Kellogg's Corn Flakes (3% sugar) on hand plus a box of sweeter stuff for an occasional sweet treat, usually Food Lion or Harris Teeter store-brand Oat Cluster Crunch with Almonds (18% sugar).  I usually add on or more of 1/2 banana, blueberries, and strawberries to my cereal - strawberries are surprisingly diabetic friendly: low (5%) in sugar and a medium sized one, 1/2 oz, 1 1/4" in diameter, has only 0.9 g of carbs and 0.2 g of fiber.

Of course, they NEVER list % sugar on the nutrition labels and ALWAYS list sugar in smaller font sizes, but dividing grams of Total Sugars (8 in the label below) by Serving Size with milk (44g) gives the % sugar: 8/44 = 0.18, 0.18 x 100% = 18%

18% is lower than avg. but plenty sweet for this very tasty cereal:

2093325113_HarrisTeeterHoneyOatCerealNutrition-shortversion_900p.thumb.jpg.ef355c2f1bbb2fa82b3ecd4620c42e93.jpg 636318861_Harris-TeeterHoneyOatClusterCrunchCerealwithAlmonds.jpg.dd1de9dab768591a87977ca71c4fb15d.jpg

20 minutes ago, denniS said:

Or do what @Razors Edge said.

Or do what I do - Mason jar, plain or vanilla greek yogurt, milk, muesli, extra raisins, and blueberries.  Shake, refrigerate overnight, and eat in the AM. DELICIOUS.  

Make a few at one time.  Part of my night routine - set up the coffee machine and make a few muesli for me and the wife.  Blue dot is her coconut yogurt (yuck!):

IMG_1843.thumb.jpeg.99696d5a8fe1bb69643521af8162ece5.jpeg

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Or do what I do - Mason jar, plain or vanilla greek yogurt, milk, muesli, extra raisins, and blueberries.  Shake, refrigerate overnight, and eat in the AM. DELICIOUS.  

Make a few at one time.  Part of my night routine - set up the coffee machine and make a few muesli for me and the wife.  Blue dot is her coconut yogurt (yuck!):

IMG_1843.thumb.jpeg.99696d5a8fe1bb69643521af8162ece5.jpeg

I make overnight oats when I remember which isn't as often as I'd like.

• Heart 1

I make oatmeal every morning but I don't delude myself into thinking it is anything other than a vehicle to get that delectable sweetness into my body.

oatmeal

ground flax seed

cinnamon

either sweetened dried cranberries or raisins or both

a heaping tablespoon of molasses

2% milk

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I make oatmeal every morning but I don't delude myself into thinking it is anything other than a vehicle to get that delectable sweetness into my body.

oatmeal

ground flax seed

cinnamon

2% milk

Mmm, that sounds good!  I love me my mole asses!  :D

• Hugs 1

14 minutes ago, donkpow said:

oatmeal

ground flax seed

cinnamon

2% milk

I eat McCann's Irish Oatmeal, Steel Cut Oats, which has 1 g of sugar in a 1/4 cup, 40 g serving (2.5%).

I sweeten it with fruit and sugar-free syrup and it's still fairly low in sugar since apples are 11% sugar (fructose, which doesn't raise blood sugar levels a lot) and strawberries: only 5% sugar.

One cup of this oatmeal plus all these additions make 3 very-large bowls, each only 351 Cal and 64.6 net Carbs - which is about as high in Carbs as diabetics should go:

image.thumb.png.648272d40de0675b2cb7e660cb0b0d61.png

• Heart 1

54 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I wolf down breakfast within aboot 10 minutes so quick prep is essential. 

Uh oh.  I think I'd rather have a slice of cold pizza than a breakfast with too much sugar.  Perhaps a bagel with peanut butter which is one of my favorite pre ride breakfasts in the summer when I ride in the morning.

13 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Uh oh.  I think I'd rather have a slice of cold pizza than a breakfast with too much sugar.  Perhaps a bagel with peanut butter which is one of my favorite pre ride breakfasts in the summer when I ride in the morning.

16% bran flakes are a little high.  Once I get back to cornflakes or chex that will be a lot better.