will freezing Visa, Mastercard work

shootingstar

I appreciate the financial squeeze, sanctions...but really this is probably hitting ordinary Russians hard enough:  MasterCard, Visa suspend operations in Russia over invasion of Ukraine | CBC News

Sure, some countries are seizing some big assets of oligarchs...if the money isn't already in a numbered anonymous layered shell company for tax evasion/hiding. It takes time for  tax /money laundering authorities to uncover more of this stuff.

I'm doubtful if the financial sanctions will  bring bad leader down.

You know Page Turner is going to show up whining about politics, right? 

Sanctions hit the small people first and hopes are that they will protest enough to force change.  That doesn't work with former KGB operative, dictators.   It takes a long time to change the politicians, perhaps a decade.  The oligarchs may cause change but even they know it is Putin that buttered their bread.   Many countries are now shoring up the Ukraine defence effort by sending weapons and sometimes personnel.  Nigeria just committed 5500 troops to the effort.  International politics will be what changes Putin but even then, he can't be trusted. 

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

You know Page Turner is going to show up whining about politics, right? 

Sanctions hit the small people first and hopes are that they will protest enough to force change.  That doesn't work with former KGB operative, dictators.   It takes a long time to change the politicians, perhaps a decade.  The oligarchs may cause change but even they know it is Putin that buttered their bread.   Many countries are now shoring up the Ukraine defence effort by sending weapons and sometimes personnel.  Nigeria just committed 5500 troops to the effort.  International politics will be what changes Putin but even then, he can't be trusted. 

That's my point Putin buttered oligarchs' bread. 

Meanwhile other things happening worldwide (nothing to do with Ukraine-Russia).   Anyway...

It's just all of us know how dependent we are with our CC and  debit.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

It's just all of us know how dependent we are with our CC and  debit.

I’ve been wondering what happens to an ordinary Ukrainian’s bank balance, home equity, insurance policies, investment accounts, or any assets really…car, bicycle, furniture… And legal documents? Everything on file in demolished buildings… Small businesses destroyed. It’s overwhelming.

• Heart 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

I’ve been wondering what happens to an ordinary Ukrainian’s bank balance, home equity, insurance policies, investment accounts, or any assets really…car, bicycle, furniture… And legal documents? Everything on file in demolished buildings… Small businesses destroyed. It’s overwhelming.

The amount of suffering inflicted in this 10 day old war is staggering. As in most cases, the little people who just want to live their lives are the most affected. 

• Heart 1