If you have nothing nice to say...

Square Wheels

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Also, as you've noticed, I'm being very lenient with the political posts related to Ukraine. 

I appreciate that, but I don't think the Putin war crimes in the Ukraine are political.  They are crimes against humanity.  To limit speech about the horror in the Ukraine is what Putin is doing to the citizens of Russia.    

• Heart 2

I have deliberately avoided the internet and the news.  There is nothing I can do about it, and the crazy people are going to be crazy people.

All I want to do is discuss happy things.  It helps keep me sane.

There are some very strong opinions that I have about many things and I am not going to air them here.  No politics is the mantra of this place and I am towing that line.

15 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

This is a diverse community of strong willed, intelligent, opiniated, people.

When the time comes and you find you cannot disagree in a pleasant manner, say nothing.  Walk away,  Stay out of that thread.  Take a day off.

So, if someone were only strong willed and opinionated, would they get a pass?

Asking for a friend...

:whistle:

8 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I wonder if this is how people felt in 1939, when Hitler invaded Poland.

Just because I don't waste my time talking about it here, doesn't mean that I don't have opinions about it.  So, tell me what I am supposed to do about it?  Let's be real, this place is a relatively insignificant platform to talk about the Ukraine invasion.  It just causes me stress as people jerk about, posture and point figures of blame.  

I wasn't here to see the thread that got pulled, but I can only imagine the fun there.  Us fighting with each other is doing nothing to help with this crisis.  

Best thing I can do is to help with my money.  Giving Global.  

On 3/6/2022 at 5:17 AM, Airehead said:

Good advice. 

Yes, it is.  I think some of the people here just want more people to fight with about it.  It won't be me.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Just because I don't waste my time talking about it here, doesn't mean that I don't have opinions about it.  So, tell me what I am supposed to do about it?  Let's be real, this place is a relatively insignificant platform to talk about the Ukraine invasion.  It just causes me stress as people jerk about, posture and point figures of blame.  

I wasn't here to see the thread that got pulled, but I can only imagine the fun there.  Us fighting with each other is doing nothing to help with this crisis.  

Best thing I can do is to help with my money.  Giving Global.  

Yes, it is.  I think some of the people here just want more people to fight with about it.  It won't be me.

Meanwhile others relieve stress through discussion as you just did.  Different strokes for different folks.

• Heart 1

On 3/6/2022 at 7:13 AM, Square Wheels said:

If you have nothing nice to say...

Say it as loud as you can so the whole class can hear it. IF yer gonna get in trouble, make sure everyone knows why... 

Or you can just do what SW said.. seems more like a reasonable way to go

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Meanwhile others relieve stress through discussion as you just did.  Different strokes for different folks.

Thread got shut down from it getting too heated.  Sounds like a strange way to relieve stress.  Merely just giving that stress to SW.  

Peace out.

24 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Merely just giving that stress to SW.  

This.

I ask nicely, and that often leads to people pointing out how my kind requests are misplaced, or I am outright wrong, and everyone here has a right to post whatever they want and be as rude to anyone they feel.

These pleas are for me, not you.  It is me begging, and "you" laughing.

I give up.

I'll be off the site for a day or three.

Feel free to kill each other, I really don't care anymore.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

Just now, Square Wheels said:

This.

I ask nicely, and that often leads to people pointing out how my kind requests are misplaced, or I am outright wrong, and everyone here has a right to post whatever they want and be as rude to anyone they feel.

These pleas are for me, not you.  It is me begging, and "you" laughing.

I give up.

I'll be off the site for a day or three.

Feel free to kill each other, I really don't care anymore.

I am on your side, friend.  Hugs from Oregon.  

• Hugs 1

9 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I wonder if this is how people felt in 1939, when Hitler invaded Poland.

We watched a documentary of interviews with SS guards and people who witnessed concentration camp activity talking about “how people felt.” I recommend it. Final Account. I think it’s on Netflix. 

Just now, Digital_photog said:

@Razors Edge Does that laugh mean you understand?

Yep - I also chuckled because there was a show with some Yiddish on TV last night, and I could follow that as well at times.  My German is okay, so seeing its roots in PA Dutch or Yiddish is easy.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep - I also chuckled because there was a show with some Yiddish on TV last night, and I could follow that as well at times.  My German is okay, so seeing its roots in PA Dutch or Yiddish is easy.

That is a very common saying in many Amish and some that came from that background.  I think it is close to what @Square Wheels was saying.

22 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

That is a very common saying in many Amish and some that came from that background.  I think it is close to what @Square Wheels was saying.

...actually, if you are old enough to be in the generation that watched Bambi, in the neighborhood movie theater on Saturday morning, when it was a recent release, you probably remember this:

It's a great way to conduct business in the 1950's and early 1960's.  I wish it were the same today.  Today I am assaulted by a constant stream of varying opinions, many of them via the internet.  My two choices are to either shut up and go away (which I do from time to time), or to rationally deconstruct what's offered to me along those lines. And when it seems to be dangerous drivel, I have no problems with identifying it as such. So it does seem there's an easy solution here, but it involves some actual enforcement of the rules for the forum.  And @Square Wheels is nothing if not non confrontational.

I remember the long dysfunctional history of the saga of @Nate, and that other guy from Boston  whose username I forget now (Bosox something), a real old school Southie, who used to enter the forum looking for a dog to kick or a wife to beat, then a couple of days later start a thread about how he needed everyone's help and understanding.  It took forever to deal with those guys, because the negative reinforcement was vague and irregular. 

If you want a forum where people don't talk politics, and you have people repeatedly starting up threads that are meant to sell a political set of ideas,  it seems pretty clear to me that it isn't gonna work.

If you insist on enforcing that rule according to the techniques of Jewish mothers everywhere, and getting all verklempt, those guys are just gonna continue as before.  They don't care if you're verklempt. It probably contributes to their enjoyment.  The reason that 'the other forum that must not be named here' started a politics section in the first place was to have some place to dump that stuff.  With regular moderation, it sort of worked for many years.  That became more and more difficult over the past 4-5 years, and now that's gone, too.

I get it....don't start talking politics because the differences are too vast now, and nothing gets decided. Nobody changes his (her) (their) mind.  Just enforce that rule, with some real consequences, and stop sweeping it under the rug by hiding the threads every time another one gets started.  Or reopen the politics section, dump all that shit in there, and ignore what happens.  It's not real life, nobody dies. No one can kill someone online (yet). This doesn't need to be such a big deal.

This is a diverse community of strong willed, intelligent, opiniated, people.

There is zero chance we will always agree

• Hugs 1

So, Cheese is gone and much to your chagrin, he was an avid supporter of the termination on P&R from this forum as it got out of hand.  Not surprisingly, it wasn't the people from here that were the problem.  It was the people from BF, yourself included.  Yes, we all remember your threats that this will never go away and we will rue the day..  Now you want to have your will imposed on the forum.  Everyone who caused problems will come back and the politics and vile comments will flow across to the Cafe as they did before. 

There are a lot of very good political forums on the internet and this isn't one of them.  If you want to drop in and talk Camellias, cool. If you want to talk Ukraine, that too is being accepted for the time being because it is a major global event that will affect everyone.  If you just want to be a shit disturber as you promised previously, just take it elsewhere. 

Enforcement of the rules is fine but this forum was started because another forum was heavy handed.  It is a shame P&R was terminated at BF but y'all brought that on yourselves and the warnings were frequent and repetitious.  There aren't too many here that would frequent a Trollheim forum and that is exactly what you have suggested.  

More than anything, it just eats at you that you perceive me to have gotten my way and I sure as hell wasn't alone in this place closing P&R. 

51 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...actually, if you are old enough to be in the generation that watched Bambi, in the neighborhood movie theater on Saturday morning, when it was a recent release, you probably remember this:

It's a great way to conduct business in the 1950's and early 1960's.  I wish it were the same today.  Today I am assaulted by a constant stream of varying opinions, many of them via the internet.  My two choices are to either shut up and go away (which I do from time to time), or to rationally deconstruct what's offered to me along those lines. And when it seems to be dangerous drivel, I have no problems with identifying it as such. So it does seem there's an easy solution here, but it involves some actual enforcement of the rules for the forum.  And @Square Wheels is nothing if not non confrontational.

I remember the long dysfunctional history of the saga of @Nate, and that other guy from Boston  whose username I forget now (Bosox something), a real old school Southie, who used to enter the forum looking for a dog to kick or a wife to beat, then a couple of days later start a thread about how he needed everyone's help and understanding.  It took forever to deal with those guys, because the negative reinforcement was vague and irregular. 

If you want a forum where people don't talk politics, and you have people repeatedly starting up threads that are meant to sell a political set of ideas,  it seems pretty clear to me that it isn't gonna work.

If you insist on enforcing that rule according to the techniques of Jewish mothers everywhere, and getting all verklempt, those guys are just gonna continue as before.  They don't care if you're verklempt. It probably contributes to their enjoyment.  The reason that 'the other forum that must not be named here' started a politics section in the first place was to have some place to dump that stuff.  With regular moderation, it sort of worked for many years.  That became more and more difficult over the past 4-5 years, and now that's gone, too.

I get it....don't start talking politics because the differences are too vast now, and nothing gets decided. Nobody changes his (her) (their) mind.  Just enforce that rule, with some real consequences, and stop sweeping it under the rug by hiding the threads every time another one gets started.  Or reopen the politics section, dump all that shit in there, and ignore what happens.  It's not real life, nobody dies. No one can kill someone online (yet). This doesn't need to be such a big deal.

There are some that start political threads and then claim to them to be informative or helpful.  You can't have it both ways.  People pop little political comments into their comments and play games like they are not the distrubers.  Many of us can see right through this behavior.

No political posts should be started in this forum!  NONE!!  I wish people would follow the rules that SW has set forth. 

If people with to talk about this, there are many other places where they can do this.

27 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So, Cheese is gone and much to your chagrin, he was an avid supporter of the termination on P&R from this forum as it got out of hand.  Not surprisingly, it wasn't the people from here that were the problem.  It was the people from BF, yourself included.  Yes, we all remember your threats that this will never go away and we will rue the day..  Now you want to have your will imposed on the forum.  Everyone who caused problems will come back and the politics and vile comments will flow across to the Cafe as they did before. 

There are a lot of very good political forums on the internet and this isn't one of them.  If you want to drop in and talk Camellias, cool. If you want to talk Ukraine, that too is being accepted for the time being because it is a major global event that will affect everyone.  If you just want to be a shit disturber as you promised previously, just take it elsewhere. 

Enforcement of the rules is fine but this forum was started because another forum was heavy handed.  It is a shame P&R was terminated at BF but y'all brought that on yourselves and the warnings were frequent and repetitious.  There aren't too many here that would frequent a Trollheim forum and that is exactly what you have suggested.  

More than anything, it just eats at you that you perceive me to have gotten my way and I sure as hell wasn't alone in this place closing P&R. 

...I will not dignify any of this with an analysis, other than to say that it is typical of the ways you view the forum, and in a lager context, the world as a whole.

More than anything, it just eats at you that you perceive me to have gotten my way...

...you funny, man. :D

• Thank You 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We had a thread (I won't name names) where she did RECYCLING over the weekend!!!  That's political :D

Not intentional.  Just a part of my laundry list of activities.  

My gardening could be considered political.  I'm an activist that speaks on behalf of top soil.  

21 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

My gardening could be considered political.  I'm an activist that speaks on behalf of top soil.  

See - more of that political mumbo jumbo!  I stand for the polluters of the world!  "Use it up and toss it out" is my motto! 

14 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It was about my productive weekend.  My threads are not controversial enough to warrant many replies.  :)

My comment was to @Road Runner. I saw your productive weekend topic. And like reading about how it’s progressing. 

I don’t see that recycling is political.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Burn it. Burn it all! Or fill some holes in the ground, and create new land. 

Every place I’ve been allows for various combinations of burning, landfill, recycling, hazardous collection, large item disposal. 

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Burn it. Burn it all! Or fill some holes in the ground, and create new land. 

You would have liked my fire Saturday, it burned at least 16 hours. I don't really know when it quit burning, but there were still some big chunks left when the sun went down and they were mostly gone when the sun came back up.  

4 minutes ago, Further said:

You would have liked my fire Saturday, it burned at least 16 hours. I don't really know when it quit burning, but there were still some big chunks left when the sun went down and they were mostly gone when the sun came back up.  

I'd do well in Florida. A guy's trash fire led to a state of emergency this weekend.