Heads Up!

Razors Edge

A mile to go, and I see the crosswalk flashing ahead of me.  Clear sailing!  Hey, even a police officer to two busting speeders.  Other folks in the crosswalk as well.  

Then, some rando in a white Accord decides a red light is not a stop.  I was on my brakes, but it was close. I gesticulated a bit, and the cop started walking towards the white car, but as far as I could tell, the driver just drove away.

18 minutes ago, donkpow said:

You don't use the Cycliq product?

1382375325_Screenshot2022-03-07081010.png.4135531ecaad64156fada99424ee1403.png

Not anymore.  Sadly, Cycliq was a great idea, but poor execution by a small team.  They could never quite fix their bugs, so you'd be riding along - thinking the blinky and video were doing their thing, and then realize they crapped out a minute into the ride.  Not confidence inspiring to think you are being seen, but in reality, the Cycliq crapped out because the software sucked :( :( :( 

I really WANTED them to succeed.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

@Razors Edge, when you send the clip to the police, make sure to point out you went through the red light.  :)

???  No light for me - crosswalk with it clearly counting down :)  But I don't walk crosswalks, so I am a true scofflaw!

9 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

???  No light for me - crosswalk with it clearly counting down :)  But I don't walk crosswalks, so I am a true scofflaw!

Two thoughts on this…

One is the video doesn’t capture the car exceeding the limit line which appears to be the crosswalk.  By the speed the driver carried you know he did but the video doesn’t capture it.

Second, if you entered the cross walk on a flashing red indicator in the crosswalk light or on a count down you were technically wrong.  The flashing Red Cross indicator/countdown means do not enter the intersection as the light is about to change.

I doubt you were really going to send this to the PD but it doesn’t capture the citeable offense for the driver but does capture yours.  

13 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Two thoughts on this…

One is the video doesn’t capture the car exceeding the limit line which appears to be the crosswalk.  By the speed the driver carried you know he did but the video doesn’t capture it.

Second, if you entered the cross walk on a flashing red indicator in the crosswalk light or on a count down you were technically wrong.  The flashing Red Cross indicator/countdown means do not enter the intersection as the light is about to change.

I doubt you were really going to send this to the PD but it doesn’t capture the citeable offense for the driver but does capture yours.  

Hey Officer Buzzkill! He passed the line by 20'!!!!  :)  

image.png.831cebae67d9be290a7495a7de69648e.png

I think there are a whole host of other legal challenges for cyclists entering crosswalks - stopping completely w/ or without a signal, when is allowable to enter, etc.. - so it really would be 1) a court fight and 2) a police officer as a witness.  Cyclists likely would lose handily - most if not all cases.  We're unloved.

But, yeah, I had no plans to pester the cops.

• Heart 1

59 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Hey Officer Buzzkill! He passed the line by 20'!!!!  :)  

image.png.831cebae67d9be290a7495a7de69648e.png

I think there are a whole host of other legal challenges for cyclists entering crosswalks - stopping completely w/ or without a signal, when is allowable to enter, etc.. - so it really would be 1) a court fight and 2) a police officer as a witness.  Cyclists likely would lose handily - most if not all cases.  We're unloved.

But, yeah, I had no plans to pester the cops.

Officer Buzzkill 😂.  

I really am not certain of the law as it applies to cyclists in crosswalks that connect cycling paths or MUPS.  IIRC  crosswalks are for pedestrians so cyclists either take the lane or walk in the crosswalks. But at a road crossing my guess is if you are in the cross walk you are supposed to walk your bike. But nobody does…

• Hugs 1