My wi-fi router just blowed up

Longjohn

I was in the kitchen making breakfast and the cat was eating his breakfast when I heard this strange sound. It sounded sort of like somebody dropped a drum set down a stairway. I went in each of the rooms upstairs and didn’t see anything wrong. When I sat down to drink my coffee I smelled electrical smoke. Went downstairs where the smell was much stronger and still didn’t see anything. Went back to my coffee and I picked up my iPad, no internet signal. I blame the Russians.

• Sad 3
  • Hugs 3

26 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I was in the kitchen making breakfast and the cat was eating his breakfast when I heard this strange sound. It sounded sort of like somebody dropped a drum set down a stairway. I went in each of the rooms upstairs and didn’t see anything wrong. When I sat down to drink my coffee I smelled electrical smoke. Went downstairs where the smell was much stronger and still didn’t see anything. Went back to my coffee and I picked up my iPad, no internet signal. I blame the Russians.

Yowza!

Did you physically look at it? Maybe it was something near the router that also knocked it off-line.  I didn't know they could make a racket, but maybe there is a fan inside and that got a surge before it detonated?

• Sad 1

About 6 months ago (or more?) I gave up on the cable companies router.   I got tired of paying them each month for the router.

I did my research and purchased this one.   It's expensive, but I figured hope this will last a while and won't be obsolete before it ultimately dies. 

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/asus-rt-ax88u

It has a much better signal strength for the remote areas of my home.  This was an unexpected benefit.  

image.png.c4a30719c1b68de7230aeb33bfe023fa.png

• Heart 2

23 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Maybe it was something near the router that also knocked it off-line.

Like a water leak, something spilled, or something like that, that dripped into the router?   Of he was just unlucky and shit happens.  :(

13 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Sometimes when the magic smoke is released things get dicey/

One of my UPS power supplies, the one for WoBG's computer, died a few months ago.  I walked into the room and I smelled the HOT electronics and/or battery. No smoke, just a burning smell and if I recall it was making a strange noise too.  I think the noise was what I noticed first.   It took a bit to figure out what was happening.  The UPS was taken out of service.    Yeah it was very HOT.  I suspect the battery died.    I was glad I was home and noticed that.  I didn't want a fire.

19 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

About 6 months ago (or more?) I gave up on the cable companies router.   I got tired of paying them each month for the router.

I did my research and purchased this one.   It's expensive, but I figured hope this will last a while and won't be obsolete before it ultimately dies. 

It has a much better signal strength for the remote areas of my home.  This was an unexpected benefit.  

routers nowadays a like art:blink:

32 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

Four smoke stacks for your convenience.  :) 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

I like it, but then I would have to get a separate device for my house phone.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

It is my satellite modem/router. It’s definitely fried. I’m using my iPhone hotspot now. I wonder if they will send someone out to replace it or just ship me one?

Satellite limits options essentially to the provider's modem/router. May want to take the opportunity to shop other providers.

1 minute ago, Tizeye said:

Satellite limits options essentially to the provider's modem/router. May want to take the opportunity to shop other providers.

There is no cable or DSL available. It’s either satellite or cell tower. I’m at the outer limits to get dependable cell tower broadband.

1 minute ago, Tizeye said:

This ^^^

My cable company provided a cable modem/router.    I got a Motorola cable modem and the router. 

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I like it, but then I would have to get a separate device for my house phone.

My old cable  company modem/router also had a port for a phone.   I never wanted their phone service.   We each have a cell phone.  I suppose I could use VoIP with a device too.  I just set of cell phones to use our wi-fi if needed. 

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

reason 4, that I don't have a router

So... you use a cell phone hot spot?   Or your have a neighbor, and hacked their password for the wi-fi?  Or you need to tell me about what I don't know.

It is my satellite modem/router. It’s definitely fried. I’m using my iPhone hotspot now. I wonder if they will send someone out to replace it or just ship me one?

Have you had lighting or other power surges lately?  Is it plugged into a surge protector?  If so, the surge protector may have coverage.....  

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

There is no cable or DSL available. It’s either satellite or cell tower. I’m at the outer limits to get dependable cell tower broadband.

That's unfortunate. So I guess it is Hughes or perhaps Elon Musk's Starlink starting to give competition.

On Cell tower, relatively new with phone companies is offering home internet. Don't know the backbone on how it is done but appears separate from phone cellular hotspot as has it's own dedicated modem. Prive is very competitive @$50/mo. May want to research it. Here is T-Mobiles, but other companies have similar. Unlimited High-Speed 5G Home Internet Service Plans | T-Mobile 5G Home Internet

11 minutes ago, jsharrwick said:

Have you had lighting or other power surges lately?  Is it plugged into a surge protector?  If so, the surge protector may have coverage.....  

no lightning or power surges that I know of

10 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

https://www.starlink.com/

Not sure how much this would cost.  Not sure If I want Elon Musk to collect my data...  Then again my ISP probably does that too. 

Not available in my area yet. I’m signed up for it when it becomes available. It’s $140 a month if I remember correctly. The same as I am paying now.

• Heart 1

Ok, on the second try I got ahold of someone who will ship me a new modem. Only cost $9.00 for standard shipping $25.00 for expedited shipping. I ordered the faster shipping. The first try I got a guy that didn’t speak very good English and after talking with him for ten minutes we got disconnected.

• Heart 1

no lightning or power surges that I know of

My cable modem, router, and IR repeater, and the cable company TiVo box are all plugged into a UPS for surge protection, voltage spikes, power outages, etc...    My network stays up during a power outage. 

2 hours ago, jsharrwick said:

If so, the surge protector may have coverage.....  

I'd have to look, but I'm sure my UPS has some kind of coverage for equipment that suffered from electrical damaged when it was plugged into the UPS.

2 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I plug my computer into my modem.

If I recall, I had to plug my laptop into the cable modem when I was setting that up and/or testing if it worked when I was on the phone with the cable company

I need a router.

My laptop that gets used in 2 or 3 rooms in my home.   WoBG's desktop computer is connected wireless in her office, and our printer/scanner is connected wireless in my office.  I didn't want to run cat6 cables, I wasn't sure where they needed to go, when the home was being built or in the future if we move things around. 

One thing I like about my router, it has 8 LAN ports on the back of it.   The TiVo box uses a 1GB connection from the router, and 3 other ports are being used too.   All of this stuff is in an electronics closet, so cables are easy.  I still have 4 extra ports for other uses if needed in the future.

We need to use wi-fi calling from our cell phones, the cell coverage isn't the best inside our home.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

If I recall, I had to plug my laptop into the cable modem when I was setting that up and/or testing if it worked when I was on the phone with the cable company

I need a router.

My laptop that gets used in 2 or 3 rooms in my home.   WoBG's desktop computer is connected wireless in her office, and our printer/scanner is connected wireless in my office.  I didn't want to run cat6 cables, I wasn't sure where they needed to go, when the home was being built or in the future if we move things around. 

One thing I like about my router, it has 8 LAN ports on the back of it.   The TiVo box uses a 1GB connection from the router, and 3 other ports are being used too.   All of this stuff is in an electronics closet, so cables are easy.  I still have 4 extra ports for other uses if needed in the future.

We need to use wi-fi calling from our cell phones, the cell coverage isn't the best inside our home.

I only have one computer.   For multiple devices a router makes sense.