Jump to content

new field


bikeman564™
 Share

Recommended Posts



1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

Your property taxes at work.

 

partially, there was a bond too. Multiple schools in this area had new fields installed. The pool from what I hear was needed because the original one is the original. And the old pool room will be turned into something else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm seeing those pop up all over the place.  Not sure if it saves money or just makes it less reliant on the mowing team (who likely are lazy owls bastards).

Not sure if the injury problems are sorted, but I guess now parents have to buy multiple sets of cleats depending upon where the sports are being played :(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm seeing those pop up all over the place.  Not sure if it saves money or just makes it less reliant on the mowing team (who likely are lazy owls bastards).

Not sure if the injury problems are sorted, but I guess now parents have to buy multiple sets of cleats depending upon where the sports are being played :(

LOL, multiple cleats.  Emmy has at least 3 pair of cleats in rotation.  Turf shoes for, well, turf.  Metal cleats for some fields and hybrid plastic/metal cleats for others.  Mainly wears the metal spikes.  Those fields are a PITA.  They look amazing.  I don't think the cost factor is there.  They try to sell you on the fact that there is no upkeep but that is wrong. They still have to be groomed and replaced every 7-10 years.  Traditional grass fields are not much better.  Obvious cutting, trimming, fertilizing, etc.  But you have to dig out and replace the clay every so often.  Add brick dust, etc.  I have seen girls get injured on both fields but feel like it's worse on turf.  The big selling point for turf is that you can play after it rains.  Like quickly.  This equates to money if you're putting on a tourney.  Not a big deal for high school, but if you have a field of 4 diamonds and are putting on a softball tourney then you don't get paid if girls don't play.  

Turf fields suck to pitch on.  Nothing to push off of.  Balls roll forever if one slips past short stop.  They are hot AF in the summer.  Like heat stroke hot.  And girls get really bad rubber burns sliding into second (or any other base) on their elbows, knees, etc.  

Give me an old grass field any day.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm seeing those pop up all over the place.  Not sure if it saves money or just makes it less reliant on the mowing team (who likely are lazy owls bastards).

Not sure if the injury problems are sorted, but I guess now parents have to buy multiple sets of cleats depending upon where the sports are being played :(

Around here it frees up valuable real estate. Eliminates the need for some practice fields if they don't have to worry about tearing up the good field when it rains.

  • Like 1
  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In NY the state will provide significant funds to schools to build new new additions, new classrooms, new playing fields.  But once it's built, the costs for maintenance and staffing fall to the school district.  Everybody loves a pool, but sadly a competition-size pool can cost many tens of thousands of dollars each year to maintain properly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

LOL, multiple cleats.  Emmy has at least 3 pair of cleats in rotation.  Turf shoes for, well, turf.  Metal cleats for some fields and hybrid plastic/metal cleats for others.  Mainly wears the metal spikes.  Those fields are a PITA.  They look amazing.  I don't think the cost factor is there.  They try to sell you on the fact that there is no upkeep but that is wrong. They still have to be groomed and replaced every 7-10 years.  Traditional grass fields are not much better.  Obvious cutting, trimming, fertilizing, etc.  But you have to dig out and replace the clay every so often.  Add brick dust, etc.  I have seen girls get injured on both fields but feel like it's worse on turf.  The big selling point for turf is that you can play after it rains.  Like quickly.  This equates to money if you're putting on a tourney.  Not a big deal for high school, but if you have a field of 4 diamonds and are putting on a softball tourney then you don't get paid if girls don't play.  

Turf fields suck to pitch on.  Nothing to push off of.  Balls roll forever if one slips past short stop.  They are hot AF in the summer.  Like heat stroke hot.  And girls get really bad rubber burns sliding into second (or any other base) on their elbows, knees, etc.  

Give me an old grass field any day.

Wait what??? Isn’t there brick dust on the infield?  Neither of my kids played on artificial turf but some of the fields were really bad with bad mow ruts in the outfield. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Wait what??? Isn’t there brick dust on the infield?  Neither of my kids played on artificial turf but some of the fields were really bad with bad mow ruts in the outfield. 

Yea brick dust scrapes you up, but the girls seem to hate the rubber burns worse. I forgot about mow ruts. Those can snap an ankle!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...