Outback

Parr8hed

I must admit that I like these guys.  If I were gonna trade the one fiddy this is prob what I would get.  

Man, prices are just all over the place on used ones.  Hard to make heads or tails over them.  

Who hear has one?  

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I had a lezburu Outback, it was ok.  Not sure it will pull what you want to pull, though.

I will be keeping the diesel f350.  It would pull anything I would want.  Hence the only reason I would trade the 150.  Just don't need 2 trucks.  

Just now, Parr8hed said:

I will be keeping the diesel f350.  It would pull anything I would want.  Hence the only reason I would trade the 150.  Just don't need 2 trucks.  

Sell the little truck, this top dollar thing won't last forever.  Mine was a 2005, those are pretty cheap still and fairly solid.  S'ok.

• Heart 1

Just now, Randomguy said:

Sell the little truck, this top dollar thing won't last forever.  Mine was a 2005, those are pretty cheap still and fairly solid.  S'ok.

I just don't know if I could get enough out of the little truck to make it worth while.  I may check into it and see what I would get if I went to trade.  Def don't want another payment just to spend less on gas each month.  

We had one when the kids were younger and took it car camping all over the country. Usually got 36 mpg, and it had enough space to hold all of our camping stuff. We had a “backpack” bike rack that carried our bikes, too. Really good handling in weather. We gave it to #1 child, who loved it! Hauled their bass, amp, and a small drum kit around and took it camping, too. But then they traded it in for a used Honda Element. Also, a cute and functional car. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

I have a 2013 Subaru Legacy which is the car version of the Outback.  I have the 3.6 Liter V6 which Subaru discontinued after the 2019 model year.  

My Subie has 112K trouble free miles other than it had gotten hit 3 times… No mechanical trouble at all.  I am looking for my next car and am considering the Outback.  I have test driven several models  of the Outback.  My thoughts:

The styling doesn’t grab me at all but that’s a personal thing.  The 2.5 liter 4 banger is slow and the 2.4 turbo has decent power but does have turbo lag. If I were to buy an Outback I’m looking at the 2019 to 2016 Outback 3.6 Limited which has the 3.6 V6 engine and has a better looking roof rack that makes the car less ugly to me.  I do like Subaru’s AWD system, it’s one of the best in class and their safety features are top notch.  They are well made cars with good overall ratings.  A lower mileage one in this trim in SoCal goes for the low to mid $30K range. 

I have spoken to many Subie lovers and all agree the V6 engine was one of their best from a power & reliability stand point but it is a thirsty girl. I average low 20’s mixed MPG.  

Im leaning heavily on a Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Select which has similar features as the Outback 3.6 Limited but with a turbo 3.5 (edit 2.5) 4 cyl engine.   It checks all the boxes and looks better to me than the Outback.  

Here’s one locally for sale with under 35k mikes asking $32K. This one has after market cross bars on the roof rack.

833C68FB-800A-4CBD-B6F4-7E5B0895E10F.jpeg.00a7c52046375a12d6c18bc78b3de0f5.jpeg

• Heart 1

I have a Crosstrek and my GF has an Outback which I drive a lot. A good friend of mine is on his third Outback. He also has a F150 work truck. Outbacks are all over Jackson, it's like the official town car. I bet half of my co-workers drive Subarus. They are reliable and handle well in the snow and off-road too. 

I like my Crosstrek. It's small but has good ground clearance for forest service roads. The Outback has the same clearance and can handle shitty forest service roads. The Crosstrek has better mileage, but the Outback has more power. I guess power is a matter of perspective. My Crosstrek has none. My GF's Outback has more. She thinks it's under powered because she had an Audi Allroad that hauled ass and she has the speeding tickets to prove it.

I like the Outback's paddle shifters and use them when going over Teton pass. 

If I had to replace my Subaru tomorrow, I'd buy another. 

• Heart 3

2 minutes ago, denniS said:

I have a Crosstrek and my GF has an Outback which I drive a lot. A good friend of mine is on his third Outback. He also has a F150 work truck. Outbacks are all over Jackson, it's like the official town car. I bet half of my co-workers drive Subarus. They are reliable and handle well in the snow and off-road too. 

I like my Crosstrek. It's small but has good ground clearance for forest service roads. The Outback has the same clearance and can handle shitty forest service roads. The Crosstrek has better mileage, but the Outback has more power. I guess power is a matter of perspective. My Crosstrek has none. My GF's Outback has more. She thinks it's under powered because she had an Audi Allroad that hauled ass and she has the speeding tickets to prove it.

My wife loves her Crosstrek but I agree the 2 liter engine is a dog.  Subaru is putting the 2.5 liter engine in it that is stock on the Forrester & Outback which should help.  

46 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have the 3.6 Liter V6 which Subaru

Blasphemy!  Subaru used a FLAT 6.  

I love my 2010 Subaru Forester.  It has served us well over the years.   It got me thru the Chicago blizzard in Feb 2011 with no issues. 

I would consider an Outback, they are more comfy.  Or, maybe another Forester.  Both would get about 33 mpg.   I'm not going to worry about that anytime soon.

I used my Forester to pull a small trailer when we built our home and to move.   It did run out of HP too soon, then again, it make the trips with no problems. I just had to take it easy.  I installed the 2" receiver trailer hitch and wiring harness myself when it was just a few weeks old.  (It way cheaper then the Subaru receiver, and I needed a 2" receiver for my bike rack.)

20200318_105517.thumb.jpg.874b98f4882b062f6681de97fc698e74.jpg

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

Blasphemy!  Subaru used a FLAT 6.  

I love my 2010 Subaru Forester.  It has served us well over the years.   It got me thru the Chicago blizzard in Feb 2011 with no issues. 

I would consider an Outback, they are more comfy.  Or, maybe another Forester.  Both would get about 33 mpg.   I'm not going to worry about that anytime soon.

I used my Forester to pull a small trailer when we built our home and to move.   It did run out of HP too soon, then again, it make the trips with no problems. I just had to take it easy.  I installed the 2" receiver trailer hitch and wiring harness myself when it was just a few weeks old.  (It way cheaper then the Subaru receiver, and I needed a 2" receiver for my bike rack.)

20200318_105517.thumb.jpg.874b98f4882b062f6681de97fc698e74.jpg

Good catch!  Yes any Subie lover would know it’s not a V6 but a flat 6 AKA boxer engine!  
I attribute that mistake to my still concussed brain.

I actually like the styling of the Forrester to the Outback and they are pretty similar in size now.  Just not a fan of the 2.5 engine and if I got one would get the Forrester XT which Subie also killed after the 2019 model year.  But those XT’s are hard to find with low miles.  

10 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Just not a fan of the 2.5 engine and if I got one would get the Forrester XT

That's why I'd consider the Outback for the turbo engine.  The 2.5 is 'adequate' for 99% of the time.  Towing, not so much.  I just took my time.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Outbacks don't get that great of gas mileage and they can't pull. Maybe they could pull out small trailer but I don't think it would be a good idea. 

I would never use this to pull anything, even my little garden trailer. Again, I’ll always keep the f350. It will pull/haul all of my needs. This would strictly be to drive to work. 

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I get about 22 miles per gallon in my Outback. I really like driving it. 

Yep, right about what I get.  Which engine does yours have?

The AWD system does impact fuel economy but is great in crap weather.  I actually got mine for the reliability more so than the AWD system but I like how the car handles in good weather due to the AWD system. 

• Heart 1

22 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

This would strictly be to drive to work. 

That said... I'd suggest the Forester.  That would still be my first choice for a SUV.   The Premium version is what I have.  

Then again... for a daily driver to work, my choice was (still is) a Prius.   60 mpg is better than 33 mpg.   I drove a lot to get to work and many times driving to customer locations on the job. 

We don't have children (young adults, etc..) there is just WoBG our dogs and me.  The rear seat in the Forester (at least ours) is bigger than it looks.

• Heart 2

41 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yep, right about what I get.  Which engine does yours have?

The AWD system does impact fuel economy but is great in crap weather.  I actually got mine for the reliability more so than the AWD system but I like how the car handles in good weather due to the AWD system. 

2.4 liter, turbo charged says Einstein.  

• Awesome 1

@Parr8hed  This is the short version of why I purchased a Subaru.  

We had a Land Rover Discovery 2.  It had an INCREDIBLE full time full wheel drive system.  I'd have to remind WoBG every winter... just because you can start from a stop like you are on dry pavement in the snow, you still have 5000+ pounds of steel to stop on the snow too.   The car was VERY comfy, but after 11 years I just could not justify the constant repair costs.

I started looking for a SUV that had a great AWD or 4 wheel drive system, that required NO user action to make things work.  When I was at work (probably 100 miles from home) I didn't want to get a call from WoBG, "I'm stuck in the snow."

This video eliminated a LOT of SUVs back in 2010 when I was looking for a SUV.

The final two choices I had for selecting a SUV were the Subaru Forester and a Mercedes GLK.  The Mercedes guy could not believe I was cross shopping him with a Subaru.

Subaru won...   WoBG was like why??    I told her I can buy 2 Subarus for the cost of the 1 GLK.

The ONLY other comment.... 

The way things are progressing now...  I would not be surprised to see gas get to nearly double in cost compared to  what is is now.   That's why I mentioned a Prius, which is also by FAR the most reliable cars I have EVER owned. 

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

20 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

@Parr8hed  This is the short version of why I purchased a Subaru.  

We had a Land Rover Discovery 2.  It had an INCREDIBLE full time full wheel drive system.  I'd have to remind WoBG every winter... just because you can start from a stop like you are on dry pavement in the snow, you still have 5000+ pounds of steel to stop on the snow too.   The car was VERY comfy, but after 11 years I just could not justify the constant repair costs.

I started looking for a SUV that had a great AWD or 4 wheel drive system, that required NO user action to make things work.  When I was at work (probably 100 miles from home) I didn't want to get a call from WoBG, "I'm stuck in the snow."

This video eliminated a LOT of SUVs back in 2010 when I was looking for a SUV.

The final two choices I had for selecting a SUV were the Subaru Forester and a Mercedes GLK.  The Mercedes guy could not believe I was cross shopping him with a Subaru.

Subaru won...   WoBG was like why??    I told her I can buy 2 Subarus for the cost of the 1 GLK.

The ONLY other comment.... 

The way things are progressing now...  I would not be surprised to see gas get to nearly double in cost compared to  what is is now.   That's why I mentioned a Prius, which is also by FAR the most reliable cars I have EVER owned. 

Thanks.  I will certainly watch.   

On 3/7/2022 at 4:40 PM, denniS said:

I saw a crosstech the other day.  I really didn't hate it like I thought I would.  I don't need power.  If I want some power I will just hop into my big diesel and let it eat!  

Something to consider, but I will prob do nothing and just keep up with the 150 until it dies.  Fuel is still cheaper than a car payment.  

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

Thanks!  

Something to consider, but I will prob do nothing and just keep up with the 150 until it dies.  Fuel is still cheaper than a car payment.  

True. It's also tough to ride so low in a car when you're used to sitting and seeing things from higher up in a truck 

• Heart 1

12 minutes ago, smudge said:

True. It's also tough to ride so low in a car when you're used to sitting and seeing things from higher up in a truck 

Yea, true.  Though it is a stock 150.  I don't feel like it sits up that high.  I like to talk a lot of shit when it comes to looking at new cars,etc.  But in the end, I don't really like change.  I will prob just stay the same until I am forced.  

Maybe I will just make it into a cool project one day and put a tesla motor and battery into in?  That would be pretty dope, huh?  

On 3/7/2022 at 3:17 PM, MoseySusan said:

We had one when the kids were younger and took it car camping all over the country. Usually got 36 mpg, and it had enough space to hold all of our camping stuff. We had a “backpack” bike rack that carried our bikes, too. Really good handling in weather. We gave it to #1 child, who loved it! Hauled their bass, amp, and a small drum kit around and took it camping, too. But then they traded it in for a used Honda Element. Also, a cute and functional car. 

I miss the Element.  Honda should have continued with that idea.