So, is a “chopped” salad still a thing?

MoseySusan

Years ago when we visited New York City, we ate lunch at a salad bar. They served it either tossed or chopped, which meant they’d put it all into an extra machine and mince it together. I haven’t been to a salad bar since then. Don’t know if they still serve chopped salad.

My salad lunch is a mess. Spring mix, carrot, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, left over black beans and calabacitas, blue cheese dressing and salsa. 

• Heart 1

I was somewhere and they started to chop my salad.  I didn't like the idea.  I want to chew it myself.  Today, I had a salad and I locked myself in my office, so I could throw it all over the place in peace.  Not sure how you would eat salad in a job interview.  :D

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I was somewhere and they started to chop my salad.  I didn't like the idea.  I want to chew it myself.  Today, I had a salad and I locked myself in my office, so I could throw it all over the place in peace.  Not sure how you would eat salad in a job interview.  :D

One of my dates we ordered salmon salads. We heard they were good. They really were but they used shredded lettuce. I was like trying to eat spaghetti on a date. Maybe not quite as bad.

• Heart 1

There is a salad chain called Chopt that mainly features chopped salads and the local fancy grocery store has a salad station where you can get salads either chopped or regular.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

Just now, MoseySusan said:

I think Chopt may have been the place in NYC. Got it… still can get a chopped salad. 

We have Chopt, but I never really "got" it (nor actually got it).  I can see romaine or iceberg or a couple other hardier greens needing a chop or two, but not to the level of "slaw"?  Do they chop it that much? Seems like most mixed greens are pretty tender and the less messing with them the better.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

We have Chopt, but I never really "got" it (nor actually got it).  I can see romaine or iceberg or a couple other hardier greens needing a chop or two, but not to the level of "slaw"?  Do they chop it that much? Seems like most mixed greens are pretty tender and the less messing with them the better.

I remember the volume decreased significantly after it was all chopped up.

1 minute ago, MoseySusan said:

I used a knife and fork the one and only time I ordered a wedge salad. It was covered in blue cheese and bacon. 

Yeah - feel like a wedge salad is something you only get at an event or other pre-planned sort of meal - like a wedding or a large conference dinner.  Can't say I've picked that on my own when given options.  Seemed good enough the times I had it, but the toppings are truly what make that one good to eat. The more dressings/toppings the better!

• Heart 1

I didn't know chopped salad was even a thing  at a restaurant.

I don't even choose restaurants with a salad in mind. Instead I look for a range of veggie dishes, not just salad.

It is incredibly rare I have a salad as a primary course...which I' ve seen other people  order a humungous salad.

9 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

For sure. 
Have you tried a lettuce leaf wrap? I tried it around some chunky tuna filling once. What a mess! 

At Jimmy John's I usually order a Unwitch.

5 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

I have not tried that

4 hours ago, BR46 said:

At Jimmy John's I usually order a Unwitch.

It looks like Jimmy John's is the place to give it a try.

When I ordered an Unwich, they gave me a bowl of rusty shredded lettuce with the sandwich stuff on top. Not their best look.

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

It looks like Jimmy John's is the place to give it a try.

When I ordered an Unwich, they gave me a bowl of rusty shredded lettuce with the sandwich stuff on top. Not their best look.

The last jj unwitch that I got looked like this 

Screenshot_20220308-102125_Google.jpg.565af89f1bec31afaceebd12d72f2c89.jpg

• Envious 1