Shrinkage

Road Runner

"Small amounts of alcohol are associated with health benefits for some conditions, such as ischemic heart disease and diabetes"

At least diabetes is good for something!

There doesn't seem to have been any elimination of variables in the study like diet, physical behavior, mental activity, etc.

For example, are those who drink every day less likely to have a poor diet or do things that stimulate the mind like complex jobs, crossword puzzles, chess, watching Jeopardy, crocheting, etc.?

When I was at IIT, almost all of us scholarship chemistry grad students drank and some smoked dope.  The professors drank with us.  Maybe brain shrinkage brings key neurons closer together and increases your IQ.

11 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I heard this on the news tonight.  Luckily, I don't drink alcoholic beverages, so my brain understood what they were saying.  :)

It wasn't on the news, it was on CNN! 

8 hours ago, donkpow said:

Oh sure, when I drink my brain shrinks. That's because it gets more concentrated.

The closer one is to the poles, the lower the tropopause is.  Being that the tropopause normally determines the maximum height of thunderstorms even though moisture content and lapse rates are identical, means a smaller thunderstorm can pack the same energy as an equatorial thunderstorm.  The same applies to brains.  :)  Smaller is equally as good although I do like the Cliff Clavin theory. 

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

53 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The closer one is to the poles, the lower the tropopause is.  Being that the tropopause normally determines the maximum height of thunderstorms even though moisture content and lapse rates are identical, means a smaller thunderstorm can pack the same energy as an equatorial thunderstorm.  The same applies to brains.  :)

What a coincidence, that's exactly what I was thinking.