Amazon recommendations no longer honest

MickinMD

It used to be that an item that is "Amazon's Choice" was almost sure to be excellent.

Now there are things with low ratings where numerous comments complain but that "Amazon's Choice" tag is there!

Some of them are clearly B.S., like "Amazon's Choice for pizza cutters by East Jesus Works"  - being the ONLY model made by the company.

Now, to ad insult to injury, I got this email from Amazon today - AFTER I already bought a breadmaker from Amazon last week.

The two models shown are older models where newer, better ones, are on sale on Amazon for just slightly more money: $5 more for a better Hamilton Beach and $10 more for a better Oster model!

Thanks a lot Amazon!  You have no credibility anymore!

image.thumb.png.87efd7ce5fc0203c1721a5dfe437f29c.png

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

It used to be that an item that is "Amazon's Choice" was almost sure to be excellent.

Now there are things with low ratings where numerous comments complain but that "Amazon's Choice" tag is there!

Some of them are clearly B.S., like "Amazon's Choice for pizza cutters by East Jesus Works"  - being the ONLY model made by the company.

Now, to ad insult to injury, I got this email from Amazon today - AFTER I already bought a breadmaker from Amazon last week.

The two models shown are older models where newer, better ones, are on sale on Amazon for just slightly more money: $5 more for a better Hamilton Beach and $10 more for a better Oster model!

image.thumb.png.87efd7ce5fc0203c1721a5dfe437f29c.png

Did Amazon ever have credibility? Fake reviews have been there for years. Amazon has always known about the problem and ignores it because they profit from it.

Fraud and counterfeits too. @MickinMD Amazon does not care about you. Profit matters, you don't. 

It's not new, it's been going on for years.

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, denniS said:

Did Amazon ever have credibility? Fake reviews have been there for years. Amazon has always known about the problem and ignores it because they profit from it.

Fraud and counterfeits too. @MickinMD Amazon does not care about you. Profit matters, you don't. 

It's not new, it's been going on for years.

I have to agree @MickinMD. denniS is spot on.  But it’s good you called it out anyway. 

Just now, Longjohn said:

I wasn’t rude or anything, I just politely said this was a poor quality product and you would be better off to buy something else.

They want sales, period. I don't leave reviews, or read them anymore. People I work with are like "I read the reviews", I'm like 🙄 Youtube doesn't allow dislikes to show publicly either. Snowflakes :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I gave up on Amazon almost 2 years ago.  

They are now the LAST place I buy anything.  Only once in 2021 did they get an order from me.   WoBG wanted a Christmas gift for our daughter, and I could not get it anywhere else. :angry:

In many cases Amazon is not the cheapest place to buy stuff.  

I never trusted their reviews, except for the bad reviews.  I suspected some (if not most) of the bad reviews could be valid.  

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Bikeguy said:

I gave up on Amazon almost 2 years ago.  

They are now the LAST place I buy anything.  Only once in 2021 did they get an order from me.   WoBG wanted a Christmas gift for our daughter, and I could not get it anywhere else. :angry:

In many cases Amazon is not the cheapest place to buy stuff.  

I never trusted their reviews, except for the bad reviews.  I suspected some (if not most) of the bad reviews could be valid.  

Even bad reviews are inaccurate.  Most are user incompetence. 

• Heart 4

9 hours ago, denniS said:

Did Amazon ever have credibility? Fake reviews have been there for years.

This.  ^^^^^^

It's a real issue with on-line sales sites, and Amazon is in that mess.  Of course, like ANY and ALL reviews/recommendations, you gotta take them with a grain of salt.

• Heart 1

I like to search the 1 star review for any product I buy.. If the person has a legit issue, I will keep it in mind.. If they have an issue more due to personal stupidity... I forget all about what they said. 

Also the ads on this sight are more fitting for y'all then me! For the single people out there... there is a price drop

Screen Shot 2022-03-08 at 8.05.17 AM.png

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

I like to search the 1 star review for any product I buy.. If the person has a legit issue, I will keep it in mind.. If they have an issue more due to personal stupidity... I forget all about what they said. 

This ^

I see lot of bad reviews on Amazon.  I have given bad reviews before and have never had anything blocked.

I seem to buy at least a couple things a month from them.  Latest was a bluetooth earpiece that arrived yesterday.  Prime is getting expensive but I think I get my money's worth between shipping and Prime video.

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

This ^

I see lot of bad reviews on Amazon.  I have given bad reviews before and have never had anything blocked.

I seem to buy at least a couple things a month from them.  Latest was a bluetooth earpiece that arrived yesterday.  Prime is getting expensive but I think I get my money's worth between shipping and Prime video.

I agree about it getting more pricy.. Sadly I don't see a discount for being an employee which is total BS... We order a lot from them though so we are surly saving on shipping vs getting stuff from other companies.. One thing I learnt was if I use my non prime account, I can have things sent to me at work for free to the amazon lockers, and  it also gets there faster since it is getting shipped in network. It might not be prime fast, but it is a couple days nonetheless.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Seize the day? WTF are you talking about?!?!?!? :frantics:

Yeah, I know WTF caveat emptor means.  Sadly had to take Latin as a kid.

Hey, I gradiated the 6th grade Magna Cum Dente (by the skin of my teeth) I know what I'm talking about, Arnold

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

I only read the bad reviews.  And only the ones that give specific detail about a specific problem.  The user error reviews I generally reply to with  the question "Do you have lead pipes running into your house?"

I do find that Amazon prices are no longer the best for a LOT of items.  I would shop elsewhere more, but my company likes to use Amazon cards for rewards and incentives.

• Heart 1

Just now, 12string said:

I only read the bad reviews.  And only the ones that give specific detail about a specific problem.  The user error reviews I generally reply to with  the question "Do you have lead pipes running into your house?"

I do find that Amazon prices are no longer the best for a LOT of items.  I would shop elsewhere more, but my company likes to use Amazon cards for rewards and incentives.

They offered us Amazon GCs for incentives. I asked for a Visa GC instead and they give me those now.

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Amazon always asked me to review items and after a few honest bad reviews they blocked me from giving reviews anymore. Lol

There is the solution. Let Longjohn know what we are thinking about buying so he can buy it first. Then give a review on this forum where Amazon can't block him and we know whether to buy it or not. Plus, if he returns it to Amazon through Koles, no packing required and he gets a $5 Koles gift certificate.

• Haha 1

I gave an honest review to the junk transmission case I got from a company selling on Amazon.  I specified the measurements I made and stated exactly what was wrong with it.  The seller contacted me through Amazon and offered to give a refund if I pulled the review.  I altered the review to state that.  No refund for me.

• Awesome 1

13 hours ago, denniS said:

Did Amazon ever have credibility? Fake reviews have been there for years.

I agree with Dr. Mickin, they used to be so much better.  Maybe they would favor that sponsored product a bit, but it started getting egregious a few years back.  It was a stark change and now cannot be trusted at all.

As for the fake reviews, I use Fakespot and get a better sense when fake reviews are involved and how much.  I do think Amazon realizes that they have to prune companies that have bad customer service or bad products, and they seem really good about taking things back that you don't like or aren't as advertised.

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Amazon always asked me to review items and after a few honest bad reviews they blocked me from giving reviews anymore. Lol

Wow, I have never heard of that happening!

4 hours ago, donkpow said:

What we need here is a review service for Amazon reviews.

https://reviewmeta.com/

Fakespot is like that, too.

3 hours ago, KrAzY said:

I like to search the 1 star review for any product I buy.. If the person has a legit issue, I will keep it in mind.. If they have an issue more due to personal stupidity..

I usually disregard the 1 star reviews because most times, it is some idiot saying "Didn't arrive on time", which of course has nothing to do with the product itself.  I find three star reviews are most trustworthy and fair, but the 2-4 range gives the best picture of the item.  Again, I always use Fakespot and don't consider the dishonest seller or product.

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I understand your concern about fake reviews, but what’s the issue with your bread machine? You’re upset they put other machines on sale a week after you bought yours? Or that they didn’t try to upsell you a week ago to sell your a more expensive product than the one you bought?

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I understand your concern about fake reviews, but what’s the issue with your bread machine? You’re upset they put other machines on sale a week after you bought yours? Or that they didn’t try to upsell you a week ago to sell your a more expensive product than the one you bought?

Yeah, after applying my new found critical reading skills inspired by @MoseySusan, where is the quality rating issue?

• Awesome 1