Sometimes, you read a morning headline, and it explains so many things.

Page Turner
Go to solution Solved by Kzoo,

32 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Witch halv  which haff     wch half    Which half?

...I have some good news, and some bad news.  Which do you want first ?

There are medical interventions available for children who have recently been exposed to high amounts of lead, but those wouldn’t work for adults born before 1996. Still, the study findings should not be a major cause for concern, McFarland said.

“There are a host of things that go into IQ,” he said. “This is one that is obviously negative, but if you also have a nurturing home environment, that helped your IQ.”

We have screwed up the planet so much.  It is shameful.  Even with what we know, some continue their behavior of polluting rivers, and the air.  Sometimes, they don't have much of a choice though.  Certain industries that put food on their table.  

I was reading an article that also pointed to the lead pipes that lead to mst people's homes.  This is not our reality so much, but who knows what it in that plastic pipe as well.  

• Awesome 1

Just now, donkpow said:

I believe that. People in the city especially affected by automobile exhaust. Poor people living in old houses painted with lead paint. And lead in face makeup.

Lead paint and lead pipes generally are "safe" until they are disturbed or the status quo screwed with.  That was the screw up in Michigan - higher water chlorine levels causing leaching in the old lead pipes? 

Wiki said:

A study by Virginia Tech researchers (see section below) determined that the river water, which, due to higher chloride concentration, is more corrosive than the lake water, was leaching lead from aging pipes

• Heart 1

31 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Lead paint and lead pipes generally are "safe" until they are disturbed or the status quo screwed with.

I don't think that is completely correct. "Lead pipe" will degrade over time and lead paint exposed to people, weather, etc will contaminate. Lead solder, used in copper pipe joints, still exists in the drinking water supply in a huge number of homes built prior to 1986.

"In 1986 Congress Amended the Safe Drinking Water Act, prohibiting the use of pipes, solder or flux that were not “lead free” in public water systems or plumbing in facilities providing water for human consumption. At the time "lead free” was defined as solder and flux with no more than 0.2% lead and pipes with no more than 8%.

In 1996 Congress further amended the Safe Drinking Water Act, requiring plumbing fittings and fixtures (endpoint devices) to be in compliance with voluntary lead leaching standards. The amendments also prohibited the introduction into commerce of any pipe, pipe or plumbing fitting or fixture that is not lead free.

In 2011 Congress passed the Reduction of Lead in Drinking Water Act (RLDWA) revising the definition of lead free by lowering the maximum lead content of the wetted surfaces of plumbing products (such as pipes, pipe fittings, plumbing fittings and fixtures) from 8% to a weighted average of 0.25%,  establishing a statutory method for the calculation of lead content and  eliminating the requirement that lead free products be in compliance with voluntary standards established in accordance with SDWA 1417(e) for leaching of lead from new plumbing fittings and fixtures."

https://www.epa.gov/sdwa/use-lead-free-pipes-fittings-fixtures-solder-and-flux-drinking-water

4 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I don't think that is completely correct. "Lead pipe" will degrade over time and lead paint exposed to people, weather, etc will contaminate.

Yeh - true...but...what is a safe (or acceptable) amount of lead in water? If the pipes don't normally exceed that, are they "safe"/"acceptable" or not?

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Lead paint and lead pipes generally are "safe" until they are disturbed or the status quo screwed with.  That was the screw up in Michigan - higher water chlorine levels causing leaching in the old lead pipes? 

Wiki said:

A study by Virginia Tech researchers (see section below) determined that the river water, which, due to higher chloride concentration, is more corrosive than the lake water, was leaching lead from aging pipes

The Poisoned City: Flint's Water and the American Urban Tragedy by Anna Clark is a very good book on the subject. I read it a couple of years ago.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeh - true...but...what is a safe (or acceptable) amount of lead in water? If the pipes don't normally exceed that, are they "safe"/"acceptable" or not?

Depends on the person, their tolerance, and their ability to excrete the contaminant. I would guess.

• Heart 1