Wilson to the Broncos?

Randomguy

The trade is not yet official, however, because it is contingent upon a physical and something equally important: Wilson's approval. In having a no-trade clause in his contract, the veteran QB could veto the trade altogether, but the Seahawks are banking on the hope he won't upend weeks of talks with the Broncos with a red light. 

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Well, that sure will jumpstart the rebuild for the Seahawks.  Denver must feel that they are ready to play late into the postseason to trade all those picks.

I saw an ESPN "expert" talking about this this morning.  He was saying that this is how you have to operate these days.  If you don't have that elite quarterback, but you have everything else, you must trade as many draft picks as necessary to get the QB that can take you to the Superbowl.  He said draft picks can be winners or losers, but without a top notch QB, you aren't going anywhere.

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Well, that sure will jumpstart the rebuild for the Seahawks.  Denver must feel that they are ready to play late into the postseason to trade all those picks.

I wonder if the Hags are angling for Jimmy G?

7 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I saw an ESPN "expert" talking about this this morning.  He was saying that this is how you have to operate these days.  If you don't have that elite quarterback, but you have everything else, you must trade as many draft picks as necessary to get the QB that can take you to the Superbowl.  He said draft picks can be winners or losers, but without a top notch QB, you aren't going anywhere.

My Rams popularized this methodology but the key is the Rams have drafted well low in the draft.  The media talks about all of the stars the Rams got but fail to mention the numerous 2-4 round starters and even UDFA who contribute.  Without draft success low in the draft the methodology doesn’t work.  I think a lot of teams will trade away 1st round picks and still be terrible. 

• Heart 3

27 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think a lot of teams will trade away 1st round picks and still be terrible. 

This is key, if you fail to hit on those picks, then you can't compete late in the season.  I do think many teams need the star players in order to sell tickets and appear to be competitive, gotta sell the merch/concessions/tickets and fill the expensive lots and such, so you have to make a splash.  

That division is so tough already, I don't know if the Donko's have the talent to get there.  Von Miller may be coming back, so we will see what happens.  Wilson is going from one murderer's row to another.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, jsharrwick said:

The trade is not yet official, however, because it is contingent upon a physical and something equally important: Wilson's approval. In having a no-trade clause in his contract, the veteran QB could veto the trade altogether, but the Seahawks are banking on the hope he won't upend weeks of talks with the Broncos with a red light. 

I think he goes.  He wants more lime light than the PNW can give him.  The chance to go against Mahomes twice a year is -- IMHO -- what he wants.  I think it's a done deal -- though I have not listened to any of the local media.

I do expect them to cut Bobby Wagner now and save massive bucks in payroll and make a splash in free agency.  I guess I'm like the trade only in that Seattle couldn't keep doing what they were doing in hopes they'd reach higher.  It's been 7 years of the same old same old and they needed to retool their roster.  Holding onto Wilson would have cost them Aaron Rogers money -- something they don't have.  I'll be rooting for Denver this year.  We may never find one like him again though.  But for the good of the team, I think the return value is acceptable.  My best guess is we become more like the Titans.  Back to a running game and a strong defense.  Unfortunately were going to have a game manager like Tannehill or however you spell his name.  It's tough to get it all in this league.  Not enough cash to go around.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I do expect them to cut Bobby Wagner now and save massive bucks in payroll and make a splash in free agency.  I guess I'm like the trade only in that Seattle couldn't keep doing what they were doing in hopes they'd reach higher.  It's been 7 years of the same old same old and they needed to retool their roster.  Holding onto Wilson would have cost them Aaron Rogers money -- something they don't have.  I'll be rooting for Denver this year.  We may never find one like him again though.  But for the good of the team, I think the return value is acceptable.  My best guess is we become more like the Titans.  Back to a running game and a strong defense.  Unfortunately were going to have a game manager like Tannehill or however you spell his name.  It's tough to get it all in this league.  Not enough cash to go around.

Personally I’m glad Wilson is out of the NFC West and I agree the Hawks needed a retool of their roster. But….

How comfortable are you with the personnel decisions they have made?  Will they capitalize on those two extra 1st & 2nd round picks or will they make another questionable trade?

Time will tell I guess. 

13 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Personally I’m glad Wilson is out of the NFC West and I agree the Hawks needed a retool of their roster. But….

How comfortable are you with the personnel decisions they have made?  Will they capitalize on those two extra 1st & 2nd round picks or will they make another questionable trade?

Time will tell I guess. 

I'm not. From what I've heard Schnieder has yielded to Pete on final decisions and Pete may be a good coach but I think it's pretty clear his evaluation of talent is suspect.  I mean he likes his certain types of guys but that defense has been in the bottom five for like 5 years now.  Either way, he better find a way to make it work.  He loses Wilson and then drafts like shit -- he's out a job but Seattle is out of a contender for years to come. 

As a Rams fan, I'd think you're happy having him out of the division.

5 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Yes.  The Broncos wanted Rodgers, but when he decided to stay with the Packers, Wilson was their next choice.

https://nypost.com/2022/03/08/russell-wilson-traded-to-broncos-from-seahawks-in-nfl-blockbuster/

From everything I've read, the Broncos never had any discussions with Rodgers and Wilson was always their guy.  I guess it's which talking head or mouth piece you want to believe.

16 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I'm not. From what I've heard Schnieder has yielded to Pete on final decisions and Pete may be a good coach but I think it's pretty clear his evaluation of talent is suspect.  I mean he likes his certain types of guys but that defense has been in the bottom five for like 5 years now.  Either way, he better find a way to make it work.  He loses Wilson and then drafts like shit -- he's out a job but Seattle is out of a contender for years to come. 

As a Rams fan, I'd think you're happy having him out of the division.

Yeah strictly from the perspective of a fan from your division rival I’m glad but I’m sorry your team lost its star.

Thats where I was going with the personnel decisions.  Again I hope they blow the picks from a divisional rival perspective and their recent history indicates they probably will.  But I do feel for ya.  

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah strictly from the perspective of a fan from your division rival I’m glad but I’m sorry your team lost its star.

Thats where I was going with the personnel decisions.  Again I hope they blow the picks from a divisional rival perspective and their recent history indicates they probably will.  But I do feel for ya.  

Getting a franchise QB in this league is hard.  Real hard.  If you have one, you keep him.  I'm telling ya, if Carroll blows it -- and I'm thinking he might -- then Jody Allen fires the lot and we become a team w/o identity.  That's probably what's going to happen but I don't think it's a slam dunk.  Seattle actually finished the season pretty well and showed me signs of optimism.  But not having a star QB is a deflator.  I may actually end up getting my Sundays back if that's the case -- so either way my happiness does not rest on whether the Seahags QB is Russell Wilson or not.  I always said as long as we won a Super Bowl at least once in my life time -- I'd be satisfied.  We probably should have won two but WTF. That's sports for ya.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Getting a franchise QB in this league is hard.  Real hard.  If you have one, you keep him.  I'm telling ya, if Carroll blows it -- and I'm thinking he might -- then Jody Allen fires the lot and we become a team w/o identity.  That's probably what's going to happen but I don't think it's a slam dunk.  Seattle actually finished the season pretty well and showed me signs of optimism.  But not having a star QB is a deflator.  I may actually end up getting my Sundays back if that's the case -- so either way my happiness does not rest on whether the Seahags QB is Russell Wilson or not.  I always said as long as we won a Super Bowl at least once in my life time -- I'd be satisfied.  We probably should have won two but WTF. That's sports for ya.

I think the problem is Carroll and the team should have dumped him and built around Wilson.  It seems there Hawks started their slide when Carroll took over personnel decisions.  I agree in the QB. The Rams moved on from Goff who took them to the SB 3 years before…. Good QB play isn’t good enough.

I feel really fortunate that all of my pro teams have won at least  one championship.  My Angels in 2002, Rams this year (I didn’t count the SB win in St Louis) even the Ducks who I don’t follow closely and the numerous Championships for the Lakers.  

Wentz just traded to the WFT for a bag of peanuts.  Well, maybe not just one bag of peanuts, but less than they gave the Eagles for him.

"the Colts will receive Washington’s 2022 second-round pick, its 2022 third-round pick, and a 2023 third-round pick that will convert to a second-round pick if Wentz is on the field for 70 percent of the offensive plays.

The second-round pick from this year amounts to a pick swap, as the Commanders are sending back their own second-round pick. The Colts will move up from the 47th overall selection to the 42nd.

Last year, the Colts acquired Wentz from the Eagles for a 2021 third-round pick and a conditional pick that turned into the Colts’ first-round selection because Wentz played 75 percent of Indianapolis’ offensive plays."

21 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Last year, the Colts acquired Wentz from the Eagles for a 2021 third-round pick and a conditional pick that turned into the Colts’ first-round selection because Wentz played 75 percent of Indianapolis’ offensive plays."

So, he played 75%+ of their offensive plays, and one year later, is traded????  What's up with that?

39 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So, he played 75%+ of their offensive plays, and one year later, is traded????  What's up with that?

I think he is going through a crisis of some sort.  It started when Hurts was drafted and he got all butthurt about it and pouted his way out of Philadelphia.  I thought he played not so great at first, but then snapped to a little bit before backsliding towards the end of the season last year.  Not winning the last two weeks, either of which would have clinched a playoff berth, lost him the fanbase that only conditionally accepted him.

Denver is going to be disappointed.  Wilson isn't the single missing piece at this point in his career.

Wentz came in the league, was fantastic, and all the news out of the locker room was that he's such a great teammate, just a decent man.  Then he got hurt.  Foles leading the team to a LOOOONG awaited super bowl, Philly fans LOVE their champions, Wentz kind of got pushed aside, we forgot what he did to get the team in that position to win.  That had to sting a bit.  He came back and tried to do too much, though still not recovered, played hurt a lot, Team did little to help him with that, then the Hurts draft was a bit of  a stick in the eye, a player or two started spreading rumors.......... Butthurt?  Yeah, but there were some reasons.  He just couldn't seem to overcome them.  Played well for the Colts, but again, something personal fell apart.  Seems the man has been beaten down from his rookie self.  But it's OK, playing for Snyder should fix all of that!

A shame, really.  Word is, he's still a decent dude.  Saw some of it during tornado cleanup efforts, he was pretty generous helping out.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Wentz just traded to the WFT for a bag of peanuts.  Well, maybe not just one bag of peanuts, but less than they gave the Eagles for him.

"the Colts will receive Washington’s 2022 second-round pick, its 2022 third-round pick, and a 2023 third-round pick that will convert to a second-round pick if Wentz is on the field for 70 percent of the offensive plays.

The second-round pick from this year amounts to a pick swap, as the Commanders are sending back their own second-round pick. The Colts will move up from the 47th overall selection to the 42nd.

I still think Wentz can be an effective QB in the right system.  I haven’t given up hope on him unlike the QB that was picked ahead of him…

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

We'll see if there is any growth next year, they may draft a receiver or lineman, they need help all over.

Here is an interesting link: https://www.nfl.com/_amp/nfl-qb-index-ranking-all-62-starting-qbs-of-the-2021-nfl-season

Wentz was the #19 ranked QB last year & Goff #23.   Both in the lower half of all starting QB’s.   

28 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Here is an interesting link: https://www.nfl.com/_amp/nfl-qb-index-ranking-all-62-starting-qbs-of-the-2021-nfl-season

Wentz was the #19 ranked QB last year & Goff #23.   Both in the lower half of all starting QB’s.   

That was an interesting list.  Both outperformed Mayfield, too.  Wentz should have been better, with the pieces around him.  That said, most quarterbacks take a couple of seasons with a new team to find a groove.  Brady had a tough time of it in the first half of the first year, but also had tons of weapons on offense.  

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

That was an interesting list.  Both outperformed Mayfield, too.  Wentz should have been better, with the pieces around him.  That said, most quarterbacks take a couple of seasons with a new team to find a groove.  Brady had a tough time of it in the first half of the year, but also had tons of weapons on offense.  

Kinda makes Stanford's 1st year with the Rams pretty amazing then.  Outside of a rough November he had a great year.He was top 5 on that list. 

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It does.  I saw a few bonehead-looking plays, but played good when it counted.

He tried to force the ball to OBJ  (and others) several times which led to ugly picks.  In the fourth he rarely threw picks though.  

He didn’t throw picks to D linemen nor throw the ball to the ass if O lineman like Goff did.   I really wonder what Goff saw when pressured.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 12string said:

He's got head problems.  So he'll fit right in with the commandos.

Zak Keefer of TheAthletic.com addresses some of the dynamics regarding the Wentz situation. He writes that the issues arose before the 2022 season began. Over the course the season, the concerns increased.

Per Keefer, some concluded that Wentz displayed “a lack of leadership, a resistance to hard coaching and a reckless style of play.” Frankly, these are exactly the concerns that undermined Wentz’s time with the Eagles.

• Heart 1

The pressure is on Schneider and Carroll to capitalize on their new-found draft wealth because they no longer have the luxury of elite quarterback play to cover up personnel mistakes.

That says it all. I’ll go one step further and say they will get fired and we have crap to show for it.