Deer

Parsnip Totin Jack

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

We don't see the large herds of 30 or 40 anymore.  There are just a couple evey now and then.

There was like 40 in the cemetery last week.  It was creepy to me that there was so many.  I heas heavily outnumbered.  Some were standing, some were laying about.  <shudder>

11 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

There was like 40 in the cemetery last week.  It was creepy to me that there was so many.  I heas heavily outnumbered.  Some were standing, some were laying about.  <shudder>

If you encroach on their territory the first thing to watch for is that some of the deer may face you and begin to pound on the ground with a front hoof.  Womaxx has had this happen while attempting to get closer to the herd with her camera to get better pictures.  I've watched Athena walk around near and in such a herd and I've gone out to call her in before she got hurt as she's not experienced at coexisting with wild creatures.  She seemed to think they were a fun toy to play with.

I believe that hunting in the area has discouraged the large herds from gathering and most of the deer have moved farther into the woods.

13 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

Outside my office window. 

C92EAEDF-22EB-482B-8161-9E8E25E5D135.jpeg

I have a really big pin oak in the front yard.  This is what the yard looks like when those things lose their nuts (or whatever it is that falls from pin oaks).  It is not uncommon for me to have 4-5 in my front yard eating them when I leave for work in the morning. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Our neighborhood herd is about 7-10. They roam in smaller groups in fairly predictable patterns. The tick farm next door puts out food for the deer. Their path is front yard to back yard, the other neighbors, back through our backyard to the tick farm and then down to the stream next to the horse stables. It’s all heavily wooded. I’m the spring we will see fawns soon. Last year there were a set of two and three. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

If you encroach on their territory the first thing to watch for is that some of the deer may face you and begin to pound on the ground with a front hoof.  Womaxx has had this happen while attempting to get closer to the herd with her camera to get better pictures.  I've watched Athena walk around near and in such a herd and I've gone out to call her in before she got hurt as she's not experienced at coexisting with wild creatures.  She seemed to think they were a fun toy to play with.

I believe that hunting in the area has discouraged the large herds from gathering and most of the deer have moved farther into the woods.

I do not get close. I was passing through on the paved cemetery road.  The ones on my property come in at dusk.  They sleep on the lower end of the property.  During the day, they leave. I have found their bedding down spots.  I have never got close enough for the stamping behavior.  I have heard if it though.

It's strange cause some of them seem almost tame.  I think locals are hand feeding some.  They do not seem too fearful of me.  When they act like they are not fearful, I give a little roar and they run.  I want them to be afraid of me.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1