Almost got a free bus ride

Dirtyhip

3 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I'm sure they're happy to see a friendly face on their route.   Nice of them to trust you.

A girl in a garbage jacket carrying blinkies in her pockets.  Maybe if I had less blinkies, I could find the token.  The last thing I always say as I exit is "Thank you for the lift home."

37 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I could not locate the token.  The bus rider just told me to get on and that it was fine. 

I do that all the time. It's what you are supposed to do. You have to be careful and only do it a few times then wait for a new or substitute driver to do it again.

• Haha 2

I have never ridden a public transit bus, I have no idea of the protocol.

Where do you buy tokens?  If you don't have tokens, can you pay cash, or do you have to pretend you can't find a token and hope the ride is free?  Do you need different value tokens for different length rides?

1 hour ago, 12string said:

I have never ridden a public transit bus, I have no idea of the protocol.

Where do you buy tokens?  If you don't have tokens, can you pay cash, or do you have to pretend you can't find a token and hope the ride is free?  Do you need different value tokens for different length rides?

Bus rides are 75 cents. for any distance within their routes.  You can buy these blue tokens that take the place of one bus ride.  If you need to take two buses to get to your destination, you can ask for a transfer ticket.  I would always forget and now the drivers remember this and say "Do you want a transfer?"  They know what I need better than I remember what I need.   I buy the tokens from their local office via telephone.  Two tokens for an all day pass.  I basically ride it in the evening to go up that terrible hill with no shoulder.  I use the tokens because it is easier to deal with.  Just one coin, vs three quarters.  The bus does provide for epic people watching.  

41 minutes ago, Further said:

I remember the glass box with a trap door bottom that you would put your money in and the driver would count the money then trip the bottom into the money box

That is exactly what it looks like.  

52 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I think that I could get used to a bus ride.  Watch some youtube, read a little.  

I don't get in much reading during the 1/2 mile ride.  I tend to just take it up death hill.  I can climb it, but the cars are making it more dangerous than I am comfortable with.  

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Further said:

I remember the glass box with a trap door bottom that you would put your money in and the driver would count the money then trip the bottom into the money box

On our system here, it's now an iphone app or paper thin tickets bought from a vending machine for fare.

I personally have found alot of bus riders, pretty good folks. In the big cities, some of the customers they deal with can be dangerous.  In Toronto, one streetcar driver used to sing loudly a funny ditty ..he was driving often, on a very heavily used streetcar line which included both locals and tourists.

I see our local transit drivers as part of our organization.....employer. Because they are.

• Heart 1

57 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

On our system here, it's now an iphone app or paper thin tickets bought from a vending machine for fare.

I personally have found alot of bus riders, pretty good folks. In the big cities, some of the customers they deal with can be dangerous.  In Toronto, one streetcar driver used to sing loudly a funny ditty ..he was driving often, on a very heavily used streetcar line which included both locals and tourists.

I see our local transit drivers as part of our organization.....employer. Because they are.

Dark ages out here.  I found a good spot to get on the bus that avoids the downtown mayhem.  There are some nutty people downtown.  I had to use the downtown spot  when it was really snowy and I didn't like it.  Meth and scrambled brains are prevalent here.  

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1